Aston Ingham, Herefordshire Family History Guide

Aston Ingham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1633

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Aston Ingham

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

ASTON-INGHAM, a parish in the district of Newent and county of Hereford; on the verge of the county, 2½ miles N by E of Mitcheldean-Road r. station, and 5¾ E of Ross. Post Town, Linton under Ross. Acres, 2,378. Real property, £3,698. Pop., 568. Houses, 123. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £350. Patron, the Rev. H. T. Whatley. The church is old. Charities, £10.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Aston-Ingham, 5 m. E. Ross. P. 621

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

ASTON-INGHAM, a parish, in the union of Newent, hundred of Greytree, county of Hereford, 3 miles (S. W. by W.) from Newent; containing 621 inhabitants. This parish comprises 1944 acres, of which about 100 are common or waste; it is bounded on the east and south by a portion of the county of Gloucester, and is intersected by the road from Newent to Mitchel Dean. The surface exhibits considerable undulations, and numerous patches of woodland; the soil is of average productiveness. There are some quarries of limestone, and also of stone for building. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 7. 1.; patron, the Rev. Henry Lawson Whatley, the present incumbent. The tithes have been commuted for £350, and there are about 100 acres of glebe, and a good house.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Directories

Aston Ingham Kellys Herefordshire Directory 1863

Aston Ingham is a parish and village, 5 miles east from Ross railway station, 2 from Micheldean-road station, 13 from Gloucester, and 130 from London, in Greytree hundred, Newent county court district and union, Ross petty sessional division, rural deanery of Archenfield and Ross, and Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric; it is situated on the borders of Gloucestershire, 2 miles north of the Hereford, Ross, and Gloucester railway. The church is an old stone building, coloured white, very plain style, and in pretty good repair, and has nave, porch, chancel, font, and tower with 4 bells. The living is a rectory, worth £350 yearly, with residence and 104 acres of glebe land: the Rev. Henry L. Whatley, B.A., of Pembroke College, Oxford, is the incumbent and patron. There is a National and Free school for boys and girls, endowed with £10, and a house and garden left by the Rev. C. Stock, payable out of the Great Woodends estate, in the parish of Linton; also a meadow called Stockings, in the parish of Newent, rented at £7 per annum, for the adorning of the church.

May Hill is an object of curiosity; on the top is a clump of fir trees, which has a very singular appearance when seen from a distance, from the otherwise barren appearance of the hill; it is a mariner's landmark for the Irish Sea and Bristol Channel. The population in 1861 was 508; the acreage Is 2.378. The soil is red sandy loam; the subsoil is rock and red brick earth. Capt. K. M. Power is lord of the manor; and Capt. Power, Rev. Henry Lawson Whatley, J. Garrold, Esq., and Thomas Howell, Esq., and several others, are chief landowners. The late Richard Garrold, Esq., left £100 in the Three per Cents, the interest to be laid out in bread for the poor, to be distributed on Candlemas day by the rector and churchwardens.

Aston Cruse is distant 1 mile west.

Pariah Clerk, Thomas Aubury.

Edwards Miss Ann, Hill house

Holder Mr. Sampson, Aston court

Perkins Mr. Thomas, The Oaks

Taylor Mr. John

Whatley Rev. Henry Lawson, B.A., J.P.

COMMERCIAL.

Abrahall George, timber dealer

Abrahall John, farmer

Ambury Joseph, farmer

Baker James, blacksmith

Baker William, wheelwright

Baldwin Willin, shoemaker

Davis John, carpenter

Davis Thomas, farmer

Green Elisha, farmer, Lower Crocketts

Hale Reuben, tailor, May hill

Hodges Thomas, farmer, Old Oaks farm

Jackson Samuel, farmer, Oatfleld

Lewis William, Crown inn, & carpenter

Little Enoch, White Hart

Little Thomas, farmer & miller

Lodge John, farmer, Knight's hill

Loveridge William, farmer

Miles Thomas, blacksmith

Nelms Joseph, farmer, Upper BarreII

Palmer Phillip, carpenter

Penner Charles, farmer, Luxtree

Perkins George, farmer

Price John, farmer, Gortsley

Randell Geo. boot & shoe maker, May hill

Scuddamore Richard, farmer

Smith Joshua, farmer, Perry's farm

Surman William, miller

Tranter Benjamin, farmer

Walters Phillip, fanner, New house

Whittaker George, farmer, May hill

Yem Charles, farmer, Hill farm

Young Edward, nail maker

Letters are received from Ross at 11 a.m. Ross is the nearest money order office

National School, Mrs. Jackson, mistress

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.

Aston Ingham Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858 

Aston Ingham is a parish and village, 5 miles east from Ross railway station, 13 from Gloucester, and 130 from London, in Greytree Hundred, Ross county court district and petty sessional division, Newent Union, Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric; it is situated on the borders of Gloucestershire, 2 miles north of the Hereford, Ross, and Gloucester railway, and close by the celebrated May Hill, known as the mariner’s landmark in the Irish Sea and British Channel.  The church is an old stone building, colored white, very plain style, and pretty good repair; has nave, porch, chancel, font, tower, and 4 bells.  The living is a rectory, worth £350 yearly, with residence; the Rev. Henry L. Whatley, M.A., is the incumbent.  There is a National and Free school for boys and girls, endowed with £10.  May Hill is an object of curiosity; on the top is a clump of fir trees, which has a very singular appearance when seen from a distance, from the otherwise barren appearance of the hill.  The population, in 1851, was 636, and the acreage is 2,378.  The soil red sandy loam; the subsoil is rock and red brick earth.  Captain K. M. Power, is lord of the manor; and Captain Power, Mr. Edwards, and several others, are chief landowners.  There are charities of £17 yearly value, left by the Rev. Christopher Stock, rector of this parish, in 1662; £10 to the school, and £7 to repairs, payable out of the Great Woodends estate, in the parish of Linton.

Aston Cruse is 1 mile distant west.

Colridge was occupied by the Romans.

Letters are received through Gloucester, and delivered by George James, the postmaster at Lea.  Ross is the nearest money order office.

Miscellaneous

Aubury Thomas, parish clerk

Baker James, blacksmith

Baker Wm., wheelwright and carpenter

Baldwin Wm., shoemaker

Cole James, White Hart Inn

Davis John, carpenter

Hale Reuben, tailor, May hill

Lewis William, Crown Inn

Lewis William, wheelwright and carpenter

Little Charles, shoemaker

Miles Thomas, blacksmith

Pendlengham William, carpenter

Randell George, boot and shoe maker, Mill hill

Ruck George, blacksmith, Luxtree

Tranter Benjamin, brickmaker, Gortsley

Young Edward, nail maker

Whatley Rev. H. L.

Farmers

Abrahall John

Ambury Joseph

Benbow George, (and miller)

Davis Thomas

Gardner John, Old Oaks farm

Garrold J., (& surveyor of roads) Knightshill

Green Elisha, Lower Crocketts

Hanbury Joseph, Yattleton

Hodges Thomas

Holder Sampson

Jackson John, Oatfield

Little Thomas, (and miller)

Nelms Joseph, Upper Barrell

Nelms William

Penner Charles, Upper Coldridge

Perkins George

Phelps Joseph, Hill farm

Price John, Gortsley

Roberts William

Scuddamore Richard

Smith James, New house

Taylor John

Walters Charles

Walters Philip, Withy Moor

Walters Philip, junr.

Whittaker George, May hill

Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.

Aston Ingham Through Time

Population

Industry

Social Structure

Agriculture & Land Use

Housing

Boundary map

Census reports

Administration and Boundary Changes

Administration

  • County: Herefordshire
  • Civil Registration District: Newent
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Hereford
  • Rural Deanery: Ross
  • Poor Law Union: Ross
  • Hundred: Greytree
  • Province: Canterbury