Ashperton Kelly’s Herefordshire and Shropshire Directory 1941

Ashperton is a village and parish, on the road from Ledbury to Leominster, bounded on the north-west by the river Frome, with a station 1 mile distant on the Hereford and Worcester section of the Great Western railway, 6 miles north-west from Ledbury, in the Leominster division of the county, hundred of Radlow, rural district, county court district, petty sessional division and rural deanery of Ledbury, archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford.  The church of St. Bartholomew is an ancient cruciform building of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, transept, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 4 bells: the east window and two others in the chancel are stained: the church was restored in 1840 and in 1934: there are 200 sittings.  The register dates from the year 1537.  The living is a chapelry, annexed to the vicarage of Stretton Grandison, joint net yearly value £580, in the gift of Mrs. Hopton, and held since 1934 by the Rev. Clement Stewart Garbett, who resides at Stretton Grandison.  The charities amount to £27 yearly.  On the village green is a Celtic cross, bearing at the foot the names of the men of Ashperton, Canon Frome, Stretton Grandison and Eggleton who fell in the Great War, 1914-18; the cross was unveiled on 2nd October, 1921, by Lt.-Gen. Sir William Pitcairn Campbell K.C.B.  A village hall was erected in 1924.  Mrs. Hopton is lady of the manor and the principal landowner.  The soil is stiff clay; subsoil, clay.  The chief crops are hops, wheat, beans and fruit.  The area is 1,693 acres of land and inland water; population in 1931 was 290.

Letters through Ledbury.  Canon Frome is the nearest M. O. & T. office

Police Station.
Railway Station (G. W.)

Private Residents.

(For T N’s see general list of Private Residents at end of book)

Hopkins Reginald James, Canon Frome Estate office
Lloyd Mrs. M., The Wharf house
Spencer William Hy. Blacklands villa

Commercial.
Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over.

Ashwin Rd. bailiff to F. Cliff esq. Lower Town
Baldwin Fredk. farmer & hop grower, Lower Town
Bevan John, farmer
Box Bush P.H. (Andrew Laurie)
* Bradstock Percy E. farmer & hop grower; breeder of pedigree Hereford cattle, Free town (letters through Tarrington, Hereford). TN Tarrington 238
Caffelle Fredk. saddler
Cowell Kate Eliz. (Mrs.), farmer & hop grower, Tuston farm. Trumpet 72
Cox Sydney, smallholder, Woodend
* Davies Herbert, farmr. Wassington
Davies Wm. farmer, Poppinger
Deem Hy. Cottage farmer, Hackers green
Holtham Mary (Mrs.), smallholder
Lanceley Beatrice (Miss), shopkpr
Meates John & Sons Limited, coal merchants, Railway station
Powell Alice (Mrs.), cottage farmer, Spring gro.  Woodend
Powell Harold S. farmer & hop grower, Moorend. Trumpet 80
* Rimell Wm. Jn. Farmer & hop grower. Pridewood.  Trumpet 57
South Wales Coal Co. (Edwin Morgan, agt.), Railway station
Tuck Harold Powell, baker.  Trumpet 49
Watkins Muriel (Mrs.), baker.  Trumpet 46

Source: Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire & Shropshire 1941, published by Kelly’s Directories Ltd 1941. Reproduced with the kind permission of the publishers Kelly’s Directories Ltd and Reed Business Information