Allensmore is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Other places in the parish: Allensmore, Goose Pool, Cobhall Common, Winnal Common, Winnal, Hungerstone, Portway
Parish church: St. Andrew
Parish registers begin: 1698
- Primitive Methodist - Primitive Methodist chapel at Cobhall Common
- Wesleyan Methodist - Wesleyan chapel at Hungerstone
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ALLENSMORE, a parish in the district and county of Hereford; near Tram-Inn r. station, 4 miles SW of Hereford. It has a post office under Hereford. Acres, 2,007. Real property, £3,061. Pop., 612. Houses, 156. The property is not much divided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, not reported. Patron, the Bishop of Hereford. The church is in disrepair. There are Wesleyan Methodist and Primitive Methodist chapels. Charities, £15.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Allensmore, a parish in the hund. of Webtree, Herefordshire; 4 miles south-west of Hereford. Living, a discharged vicarage in the peculiar jurisdiction of the dean of Hereford. It is rated at £5 12s. 6d. Charities connected with this parish amount to about £20 annually. There is a day and Sunday school. Pop., in 1801, 383; in 1831, 592. Houses 133. Acres 1,930. A. P. £2,166. Poor rates, in 1837, £238.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Allensmore, 4 m. S.W. Hereford. P. 668.
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Allensmore (St. Andrew), a parish, in the hundred of Webtree, union and county of Hereford, 4 miles (S.W.) from Hereford; containing 668 inhabitants. The parish is intersected by the road from Hereford to Monmouth, and consists of 1820 acres, the surface being generally level, with an ample proportion of timber. The living is a discharged vicarage, rated in the King’s books at £5. 12. 6., and endowed with £400 royal bounty; patron, the Dean of Hereford. The appropriate tithes have been commuted for two rentcharges, each of £125, one payable to the Dean, and the other to the Dean and Chapter of Hereford; the vicarial tithes have been commuted for £175, and a rent charge of £7. 6. is paid to impropriators. There are 30 acres of glebe. A school was established in 1824.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Allensmore, co. Hereford.
P. T. Hereford (135) 4 m. SW. Pop. 513.
A parish in the hundred of Webtree; living, a dis. vicarage, and peculiar of the Dean of Hereford; valued in K. B. 5l. 12s. 6d.; patrons, Dean and Chapter of Hereford.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Berrow Jane, Allensmore, Herefordshire, farmer and maltster, March 9, 1824.
Chapman William, Allensmore, Herefordshire, timber merchant, Dec. 23, 1834.
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Allensmore Kellys Herefordshire and Shropshire Directory 1941
Allensmore is a parish intersected by the road from Hereford to Abergavenny, 4 miles (to the church) south-west from Hereford, 2 ½ north from Tram Inn station on the Newport, Abergavenny and Hereford section of the Great Western railway, 14 west-north-west from Ross, in the Hereford division of the county, hundred of Webtree, county court district, rural district and petty sessional division of Hereford, rural deanery of Hereford South and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. Andrew is an ancient building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 6 bells, renovated and the tenor recast in 1890 at the cost of Mrs. Pateshall: the church was restored in 1880, principally at the expense of the late E. Pateshall, esq. of Allensmore Court, and the Rev. James E. Grasett; the work included the reconstruction of part of the nave roof, the re-flooring of the church, the opening of the former ceiled roof and the removal of the gallery; a new font was also introduced; the east window is a memorial to Mrs. Grasett (d. 1875), wife of the Rev. James E. Grasett (vicar 1867-1914), and there is a window to Mrs. Bent: in 1923 an oak chancel screen was erected by Miss Grasett in memory of her father: in 1934 the church was reseated, at the cost of Mrs. H. E. P. Pateshall, the churchyard was enlarged in 1908, the land being given by Mrs. Pateshall. The register dates from the year 1698. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £330, with residence, in the gift of the Crown, and held since 1930 by the Rev. Charles Gough Littlehales M.A. of Exeter College, Oxford. There is a Methodist chapel at Hungerstone and another at Cobhall Common. The charities are of about £10 annual value. Allensmore Court, the seat of Col. Henry E. P. Pateshall D.S.O., D.L.. J. P. who is lord of the manor and principal landowner, is a fine and ancient mansion of brick, beautifully situated in a thickly-wooded park of about 100 acres, with an ornamental lake of 5 acres. The soil is gravel and the subsoil marl. The chief crops are wheat, barley, clover and turnips. The area is 2, 024 acres of land and inland water; population in 1931 was 459.
Hungerstone is 1 ½ miles south-west. Winnall, 2 miles south-by-west , and Cobhall, 1 west, are hamlets.
Post, M. O. & T. office. Letters from Hereford.
Omnibuses pass through to Hereford & Abergavenny daily & Ewyas Harold, wed & sat.
Marked thus + letters should be addressed Clehonger, Hereford.
(For TN see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Littlehales Rev. Charles Gough M.A. (vicar), Vicarage
Pateshall Col. Henry Evan Pateshall D.S.O., D.L. J.P. Allensmore court
Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over.
Barrell Ernest, farmer, Winnall Com
Bishop Gertrude (Mrs.), shopkpr
Davies Geo. Thos. shopkpr
Eckley Albt. smallholder
Edwards Wm. Geo. farmer. Village fm
Farr Tom Paxton, farmer, Cobhall ct
Gerrard Wm. fruit grower, Hazelbank
* Griffiths Stansfield, farmer, Upper Mawfield
Harris Jas. E. farmer, Tithing Barn farm
Harris Mrs. farmer, Little Cobhall
Harris Stanley, smallhldr, Woodstreet
Harris Wm. smallholder, Moss Green
James Thos. blacksmith
Johnson Wm. smallholder, Merepool
Knipe Chas. Fras. farmer, Hungerstone farm. Wormbridge 215
Lawrence Geo. Alfd. & Alice & Ida (Misses), farmers, Winnall
Lawrence Alfd. Wm. smallholder, Moorfield
Lawrence Herbt. Edwd. farmer, Winnall court
Leake Jn. decrtr. Cobhall common
Lewis Reuben William, farmer, Traphouse farm
Lewis Wm. smallholder, Red ho
* Lloyd D. E. (Mrs.), farmer, Cobhall manor. Belmont 236
Lock’s Garage, cars for hire: motor, cycle & agricultural engineers, welders & wireless dealers; leading agencies, Raleigh, Sunbeam, B.S.A., Royal Enfield &c. Wormbridge 206
Lock Claude Brewer, grocer & tobacconist
*Lock Fredk. Wm. Arth. farmer, Home farm
Morris Wm. smallholder, Orles
Moses Jas. confctnr. & post office. Belmont 012
Oakeshott L. (Mrs.), farmer, Winnall Common
Ockey Wltr. Ernest, farmer, Winnall hall
*Owens Gwyn David, farmer, Green farmer. Belmont 251
Pearce Fredk. Jn. farmer, Courtlands
Powell Eric, farmer, Lower Mawfield farm
Skyrme Joseph Hy. frmr. Gethenfield
Three Horseshoes Inn (People’s Refreshment House Association Ltd.). Wormbridge 6
Turpin Edith (Mrs.), butcher. Wormbridge 208
+ Watkins Ernest, farmer, Meer court
Weaver Jas. smallholder, Pinnock pl
Yapp Alfd. Smallholder, Court Plocks
Source: Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire & Shropshire 1941, published by Kelly’s Directories Ltd 1941. Reproduced with the kind permission of the publishers Kelly’s Directories Ltd and Reed Business Information
Allensmore Kellys Herefordshire Directory 1863
ALLENSMORE, consisting of the townships of Allensmore. and Hungerstone, is a populous parish, containing 612 inhabitants in 1861, distant 4 miles south-west from Hereford, 1 mile and a half north-west from Tram Inn railway station on the Newport, Abergavenny, and Hereford line, 13 miles west-north-west from Ross, and 148¼ from London, in Webtree hundred, Hereford county court district, union, archdeaconry, deanery and bishopric; it is situated on the turnpike road leading from Hereford to Abergavenny and Ross, which intersects the parish. The church of St. Andrew is an old stone building in the Gothic style, having a nave, aisle, chancel, porch, and square tower, containing 6 bells ; the register dates from 1771.
The living is a discharged vicarage, with residence and 2 acres of glebe land, the latter of which were granted by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners; the Bishop of Hereford Is the patron, and the Rev. Francis Baker, B.A. of Pembroke College, Oxford, is the incumbent. Here are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and a Charity school for boys and girls, supported by Mrs. Burnam Pateshall, of Allensmore Court, which residence is most pleasantly situated here. The population in 1861 was 612; the area is 1,000 acres; the rateable value of this parish Is £2,735 6s. 6d. The soil Is gravel, and the subsoil marl. Ryan Pateshall, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner; the chief crops are wheat, barley, clover, and turnips.
Hungerstone township is distant 1 mile south-west from the village of Allensmore.
Winnall and Cobhall are small villages.
Parish Clerk, Thomas Cook.
Baker Rev. Francis, B.A. Vicarage
Berrow Misses, Webtree cottage
Brown Rev. Reuben, Winnall
Duncomb Rev. William, D.V Mawfield
Flock Mr. Edward
Pateshall Mrs. Burnam, Allensmore court
Watkins Mr. William Winnall
Baynham Robert, farmer, Wood street
Beavan George, farmer, Winnall common
Beavan Thomas, farmer, Mawfield
Berrow Mrs. farmer, Smallbrook
Blashill Robert, farmer, Mawfield
Brisland James, jun. tailor & beer retlr
Brisland James, sen. Pelican
Carpenter Edward, farmer, Cobhall
Connop William, farmer, New buildings
Cooper William, shoemaker, Winnall com
Davis Samuel, farmer, Church house
Davis Wm. farmer, Whitehouse Winnall
Evesham George, farmer, Firs
Flock William, farmer, Gethenfleld
Griffiths John, farmer, Winnall
Harper Edward, Cherry Tree
Harris John, cattle dealer
Hodges John, farmer, Winnall
Jenkins Thomis, blacksmith
Johnson John, blacksmith & wheelwright
Jones James, farmer, Cobhall common
Jones James, tailor, Cobhall common
Lambert John, shoemaker, Cobhall com
Lawrence Jas. shoemaker, Winnall com
Lawrence William, farmer, Cobhall com
Mackling Jas. shoemaker, Cobhall com
Mattey James, blacksmith, Cobhall com
Merrick William, farmer, Meerpool
Neat Ann( Mrs.), shopkecpr. Cobhall com
Parry Charles, farmer, Yew Tree cottage
Pickering George, haulier, Wallbrook
Powell George, farmer, Winnall common
Powell Thomas farmer, Winnall common
Preece Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Traphouse
Preece Richard, cooper, Hangman's grn
Price Edwrad, cider retailer, Winnall common
Price William, fann bailiff
Sayce William, maltster, Cobhall common
Thomas George, shopkeepr, Winnall com
Watkins William, farmer, Winnall
Wilcox Francis, blacksmith, Goosepool
Wilde Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Winnall
Williams Ann (Miss), maltster, Cobhall common
Lawrence James, shoemaker
Lawrence John, farmer
Wilde Peter, farmer
Post Office. — John Boulter, receiver. Letters arrive from Hereford at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Hereford.
Assistant Overseer. William Powell
Charity School (boys & girls), Mrs. Eliza Brisland, mistress
Carrier (passing through). - Powell, from Abbeydore to Hereford, Wednesday & Saturday, returning same days.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.
Allensmore Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858
Allensmore is a populous parish, containing, in 1851, 670 inhabitants, distant 4 miles south-west from Hereford, 1 ½ north-west from Tram Inn railway station, on the Newport, Abergavenny, and Hereford line, 13 west-north-west from Ross, and 148 ¼ from London. This parish is in the Webtree Hundred, Hereford Union, archdeaconry, deanery, and bishopric; situated on the turnpike road leading from Hereford to Abergavenny and Ross, which intersects the parish. The church of St. Andrew, is an old stone building, in the Gothic style, having a nave, aisle, chancel, porch, and square tower containing a peal of six bells. The living is a discharged vicarage, with residence and two acres of glebe land, the latter of which was lately granted by the ecclesiastical commission. Here are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, also a Charity school for boys and girls. The soil is gravel, and subsoil marl, and consists of 1,960 acres. The rateable value of this parish is £2,635 6s. 6d.
Hungerstone is distant 1 mile from the village of Allensmore.
Winnall and Cobhall are small villages. Mere Court was the residence of a respectable family of the name of Wathen, for upwards of two centuries. The remains of a moat still surround the building, which is a farmhouse.
Letters through Hereford, which is the nearest money order office.
Baker, Rev. F.
Brisland James, tailor
Dean Elijah Hy., land proprietor, Winnall villa
Davis Mr. Richard
Faulkner James, smith
Herrington W., Cherry Tree Inn
Johnson John, wheelwright
Jones James, tailor
Lambert John, shoemaker
Lawrence James, shoemaker
Mattey J., smith
Neat Henry, shopkeeper, Cobhall com
Pateshall Mrs. B.
Preece Richard, cooper
Sayce John, maltster, Cobhall com
Williams Eleanor, maltster, Cobhall com
Baynham Robert, Wood st.
Beavan Thomas, Winnall
Beavan Thomas, junr., Mawfield
Blashill Robert, Mawfield
Carpenter Edward, Cobhall
Davis S., Church house
Davis Wm., Winnall
Fluck William, Gethenfield farm
Merrick William, Meerpool
Partridge Mrs. Ann, Traphouse
Lewis James, Mere Court
Powell George, Winnall common
Powell James, Winnall
Powell Thomas, Winnall court
Powell William, New buildings
Watkins William, Winnall
Wilde Ann, Winnall
Wesleyan & Primitive Methodists Chapels, no stated ministers.
Charity School, (for boys and girls), Mrs. Eliza Brisland, mistress
Carriers, (passing Through):-
Garrett, from Turnastone to Hereford, Wed. & Saturdays, returns same days
Pritchard, from Abbey Dore to Hereford, Wed. and Saturdays, returns same day
Steele from Ewais Harold to Hereford, Wed. and Saturdays, returns same days.
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Hereford
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Dean of Hereford
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Hereford
- Poor Law Union: Hereford
- Hundred: Webtree
- Province: Canterbury