Aconbury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Alternative names: Acconbury or Acornbury
Parish church: St. John the Baptist
Parish registers begin: 1813
Table of Contents
- Parishes adjacent to Aconbury
- Historical Descriptions
- Parish Records
Parishes adjacent to Aconbury
- Much Dewchurch
- Little Birch
- Much Birch
- Upper and Lower Bullinghope
- Holme Lacy
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Aconbury, or Acornbury, a village and a parish in the district and county of Hereford. The village stands 2¾ miles WSW of Holme-Lacey r. station, and 4½ S of Hereford, and is an old-fashioned place. The parish comprises 1,591 acres; and its Post Town is Holme-Lacey under Hereford. Real property, £1,132. Pop., 183. Houses, 37. The property is divided among a few. Aconbury hill, to the S of the village, commands an extensive and very fine prospect, and shows distinct traces of a large Roman camp. An Augustinian nunnery anciently stood in Aconbury forest. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £53. Patron, the Rev. S. Thackwell. The church is neat.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Acconbury or Acornbury (St. John the Baptist), a parish in the Upper division of the hundred of Wormelow, union and county of Hereford, 4 miles (S.) from Hereford; containing 158 inhabitants. This parish comprises 1590 acres by computation, and is intersected by the old road from Ross or Ross-On-Wye Herefordshire to Hereford, and on its western side by that between Hereford and Monmouth. A nunnery of the order of St. Augustine was founded here, in the reign of John, by Margery, wife of Walter de Lacy, to the honour of the Holy Cross, the revenue of which, at the dissolution, was £75. 7. 5¼. : the remains have been converted into a farm-house, and some stone coffins are still preserved. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £53; patrons, the Governors of Guy’s Hospital, London. The vaults of the church contain the ashes of many illustrious persons, among whom are the first Duke of Chandos, and an Earl of Carnarvon. On the summit of Acconbury hill, celebrated for its fine plantations and drives, and its beautiful views, are traces of a large Roman encampment, the rampart of which, on the east side, is plainly discernible.
Source: Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Acconbury, or Acornbury, a parish in the upper division of the hund. of Wormelow, union and county of Hereford; 4 ½ miles south from Hereford. Living, a perpetual curacy in the dio. of Hereford, and a peculiar of that see; rated at £6 6s. 8d., and in the parliamentary return at £80; gross income £259: the vicarage of Dewsall and the curacy of Callow, being included in these estimates. Patrons, the governors of Guy's hospital, London. Pop. in 1801, 113; in 1831, 163. Houses 31. Acres 1,470. A. P. £1,058. Poor rates, in 1837, £45. The following is from Tanner's 'Notitia:' — ” King John gave the forest of Acornbury to Margery, the wife of Walter de Lacy, that she might therein found a nunnery, which she did, about 3 miles south of Hereford, to the honour of the Holy Cross. This priory, or hospital, consisted of a prioress and seven nuns, of the order of St Austin, and was endowed, 26° Henry VIII., with £67 13s. 2d. per annum, Dugd.; £73 7s 5d., d. Speed. It was granted 33° Henry VIII., to Hugh-ap-Harry.” From Sir John Bridges, the manor of Acconbury came to his son Lord Chandos, and was sold with other estates of the family in the last century. The remains of the nunnery have been converted into a farm-house There are traces of a Roman camp on the summit of Acronbury hill, which lies to the south of the village.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Acornbury, co. Hereford.
P. T. Hereford (135) 4½ m. S. Pop. 148
A parochial chapelry in the upper divisions of Wormelow hundred; living in the diocese of Hereford; not charged, and a peculiar of the see; church ded. to St John the Baptist; patron the governor of Guy's hospital, London.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales 1807
Aconbury, (Heref.) a village situate between Great Birch and Callow-Pass, where there is a large camp of the same name. Here was formerly a nunnery of the order of St. Augustine, the remains of which have been fitted up as a farm house; and some stone coffins, preserved in the nun’s chapel, have been engraved for Gough's sepulchral monuments.
Source: Complete Pocket Gazetteer of England and Wales; Crosby Rev. J. Malham; 1807
Aconbury Kellys Herefordshire and Shropshire Directory 1941
Aconbury is a parish and straggling village, an the road from Hereford to Ross, 3 miles south-west from Holme Lacy station on the Hereford, Ross and Gloucester section of the Great Western railway, 4½ miles south-east from Hereford and 10 north-west from Ross, in the Hereford division of the county, in the Upper division of the hundred of Wormelow, Hereford rural district, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Hereford south, and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The church of St. John the Baptist is a small but ancient building of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, west porch and a low western tower containing one bell: in the south wall of the church there still remains a “low side window,” probably of Norman date: the church was completely restored in 1863, and affords sittings for 183 persons. The register dates only from the year 1813. The benefice is united with that of Little Dewchurch, joint net yearly value £295, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Hereford and J. C. Adkins esq. alternately, and held since 1940 by the Rev. Donald Edward Jones B. A. of the University of Wales, who resides at Little Dewchurch. In this parish there formerly existed a nunnery of Canonesses of the order of St. Augustine, founded and endowed in the time of King John by Margaret, wife of Walter de Lacy, and dedicated to SS. Mary, John, Katherine and the Holy Cross, its revenues at the time of the Dissolution, when there were seven nuns, amounted to a yearly sum of £75 7s. 5d.; this estate is now the property of the Governors of Guy’s Hospital, having been purchased, together with Wilton Castle and other estates in the county belonging to the Lord Chandos, during the 18th century; the remains of the nunnery, which formerly stood upon five acres of ground, surrounded by a moat, have been converted into a farmhouse called Aconbuy Court. The Governors of Guy’s Hospital are lords of the manor and chief landowners. Electricity is available. The soil is clay and loam; subsoil, Done stone rock, and is chiefly adapted to arable purposes. The area is 1,692 acres; the population in 1931 was 117.
For Kingsthorne, see Much Birch.
Letters through Hereford. Hoarwithy is the nearest M. O. & T. office.
(For TN see general list of Private Residents at the end of book).
Foster Henry Knollys, Mount Skippitt (postal address, Kingsthorne, Hereford)
Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over.
Halford Albt. Edwd. Frmr. Kings Pits
Layton Wm. farmer, Aconbuy court
Matthews Rt. Berkeley, farmer, Caldicott
Morgan Jas. Leonard, frmr. Lower ho
Paine Ernest Edwin, farmer, Merrivale (postal address, Kingsthorne, Hereford)
Rogers W. W. farmer, Cross-in-Hand
Source: Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire & Shropshire 1941, published by Kelly’s Directories Ltd 1941. Reproduced with the kind permission of the publishers Kelly’s Directories Ltd and Reed Business Information
Aconbury Herefordshire The Hereford Journal Directory 1914
Barnard Mrs., Lower House
Bevan Hy., parish clerk, The Bowl, Aconbury
Flowers Albert, frmr, Aconbury ct.
Halford Mrs. Ann, farmer, King's pits
Jones Joseph, farmer and haulier, Warren farm
Mansell W., farmer, Crosshands
Matthews B., Caldicott farm
Monkley C., shopkpr., Chapel ho.
Paine Ernest, farmer, Merryvale.
Peter Thomas, Crossway cottage
Preece Samuel, farmer, Pye's Nest.
Verry Mrs. H., farmer, Upper ho.
Ware J., Mount Skippett.
(Assistant overseer: Verry W. J., King's Thorne, Hereford).
Source: The Hereford Journal Directory 1914. Second Issue. Hereford: The Herefordshire Press & Printing Co., Ltd., Offa House.
Aconbury Kellys Herefordshire Directory 1863
Aconbury is a parish and straggling village, distant 4½ miles south-south-east from Hereford, 2½ south-west from Holme Lacy station on the Hereford, Ross, and Gloucester line of railway. 142½ from London, and 10 north west from Ross, in the upper division of the hundred of Wormelow, Hereford union, county court, district, archdeaconry and bishopric, and Archenfield deanery; it is situated on the turnpike road leading from Hereford to Ross. The church (name not known) is a small and old stone building in the Gothic style, and consists of a nave, chancel, and very ancient porch, with a low tower containing 1 bell; it is now (1863) being completely restored, the funds for which purpose were raised principally by subscription.
The living is a donative, value about £40 yearly, without residence, in the gift of the trustees of Queen Anne's Bounty; the Rev. Stephen Thackwell, M.A., is the incumbent. In this parish there formerly existed a nunnery, belonging to the order of St. Augustine, founded and endowed In the time of King John, by Margery, wife of Walter de Lacy; its revenues at the time of the Dissolution amounted to the yearly sum of £75 7s. 5d. This estate is now the property of the Governors of Guy's Hospital, having been purchased, together with Wilton Castle and other estates in this county belonging to the Lords Chandos, during the last century; the remains of this nunnery, which formerly stood upon five acres of ground, surrounded by a moat, is now converted into a farmhouse, called Aconbury Court. The population in 1861 was 183. The soil is a rich loam, and subsoil Done stone rock, and is chiefly adapted to arable purposes. The Governors of Guy's Hospital are lords of the manor and also the chief landed proprietors in this parish.
Caldicott, The Warren, Merryfold, and The Cross-In-Hand are farms.
Parish Clerk, James Addis.
Addis Thomas, farmer, Caldicott
Davies Thomas, carpenter
Hepburn Archibald, farmer, Aconbury court
Hughes Thomas, stonemason
Imms Thomas, farmer, Merryfold
Jones William, farmer, Warren
Mansell Thomas, farmer, Cross-in-hand
Morgan John, sawyer, Aconbury hill
Preece James, carpenter
Pritchard Wm. carpenter, Aconbury hill
Verrey John, shoemaker
Letters through Ross. Hereford is the nearest money order office.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.
Aconbury Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858
Aconbury is a parish, and straggling village, distant 4 ½ miles south-south-east from Hereford, 2 ½ south-west from Holme Lacy station, on the Hereford, Ross, and Gloucester line of railway, 142 ½ from London, and 9 north-west from Ross, in the Hundred of Wormelow, Hereford Union, archdeaconry and bishopric, and Irchenfield deanery; it is situated on the turnpike road leading from Hereford to Ross, and possesses scenery of romantic description, which is blended with woodland. The church is a small old stone building in the Gothic style, and consists of nave, chancel, and a very ancient porch, with a low tower. In this parish there formerly existed a nunnery, belonging to the order of St. Augustine, founded and endowed in the time of King John, by Margery, wife of Walter de Lacy; its revenues at the time of the dissolution amounted to the yearly value of £75 7s. 0d. This estate is now the property of the Governors of Guy’s Hospital, having been purchased, together with Wilton Castle and other estates in this county, belonging to the Lords Chandos, during the last century. The remains of this nunnery, which formerly stood upon five acres of ground, surrounded by a moat, then the property of the monks, is now converted into, and fitted up as a farmhouse, called Aconbury Court. On Aconbury Hill are the traces of a large camp of square form. The living is a rectory, worth £258 annually, without residence, being in the patronage of Guy’s Hospital; the Rev. Stephen Thackwell, M.A., is the incumbent. The population, in 1851, was 141. The soil is rich loam, and subsoil lime stone rock, and is chiefly adapted to arable purposes. The Governors of Guy’s Hospital are the lords of the manor, and also the chief landed proprietors of this parish.
Letters through Much Birch. Hereford is the nearest money order office.
Davies T., carpenter
Hughes T., stonemason
Morgan J., sawyer
Pritchard Wm., carpenter
Verrey J., shoemaker
Addis Thomas, Caldicott
Bickerton William, Merryfold
Jones William, Warren
Mansell Thomas, the Cross-in-hand
Spencer William, Aconbury court
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Hereford
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Archenfield
- Poor Law Union: Hereford
- Hundred: Wormelow
- Province: Canterbury
- Rural District: Hereford
- Petty Sessional Division: Hereford
- County Court District: Hereford