Abbey Dore or Dore Cassey Directory of Herefordshire 1858

Abbey Dore, is a parish, Union place, and village, 2 miles north-west from Pontrilas railway station, 11 south-west from Hereford, 14 west from Ross, and about 138 from London, in Webtree Hundred; petty sessions are held here, and it is a Union of 28 parishes and townships; it is in Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric; it is situated on the river Dore, which is celebrated for its trout, and from which the parish derives its name; it is also in the Golden Valley, and near the Newport, Abergavenny, and Hereford railway. Here was formerly an abbey of White Monks, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin; it was built by Robert de Ewias, youngest son of Harold, lord of Ewais. At the time of its suppression, it consisted of an abbot and eight religious, and was valued at £101 5s. 2d. per annum; soon after this the chapter-house, cloisters, and other buildings of the abbey were pulled down, and the materials sold, together with part of the church, it was built in the cathedral form, and its architecture was very elegant; during the reign of Charles I, John, Viscount Scudamore obtained a license to re-build this fabric, and though it was not entirely re-built, it underwent considerable repairs, and in the year 1634 was re-consecrated by Theophilus Field, bishop of St. David’s. The church is a very large and handsome old stone building, with fine square tower, in the Norman style; it has a spacious nave and chancel, north and south aisles, porch, font, clock, three beautiful stained glass windows, a monument to Robert Ewais, the founder, one to General Clifford, and one to a knight templar and several other monuments and tablets, and a remarkable stone coffin, which was found under the church. The living is a rectory, worth £680 yearly, with residence. There is a united National and Free school, for boys and girls, endowed with £7 10s. yearly. The population, in 1851, was 588, and the acreage is 5,390. The soil is sandy and loamy; the subsoil is clay and sandstone. There are charities of about £40 yearly value.

Letters received through Hereford, which is the nearest money order office.


James Rev. Josiah

Blossett Thomas, superintendent of police

Davis Samuel, mason

Davis Thomas, mason

Davis Thomas, shoemaker

Giles Edward, carpenter and builder

Gough William, Red Lion

Grice Mr. and Mrs., mastr and matron of Union

Higley James Barnett, schoolmaster

Higley William, parish clerk

Rutland Mrs., schoolmistress

Woodhill Thomas, blacksmith


Barnett Eunice, Lower Jury

Collins Samuel, Blackbush farm

Davis John, Lower house farm

Dean Josiah, Upper Jury

Gwillim John, Blackmoor

Hopkins Richard, Tanhouse

Matthews William, Newbrook

Morgan James, Carey’s gate

Price Clement, Woodward’s farm

Price John, Hill farm

Sayce Theophilus, the Grange

Wood George, Cockyard

Public Officers

Board of Guardians, Archer Clive, Esq., chairman; Rev. Charles Probert, vice-chairman; Nicholas Lanwarne, clerk.

Registrars to the Union, N. Lanwarne, superintendent, Hereford; (births, deaths, and marriages), John Price, Longtown; (births and deaths), James Jones Madley & Thomas Lewis, Boar’s hill, St. Devereux

Parish Clerk, William Higley

National School, James Barnett Higley, master, Mrs. Rutland, mistress

Petty Sessions, are held at the Police station

Union Workhouse, Rev. William J. Jenkins, chaplain: James Lane, Esq., house surgeon

Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.