Frensham is an Ancient Parish partly in Hampshire and partly in Surrey.
Other places in the parish include: Churt and Pitfold.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1649
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1587-88; 1689-95; 1717; 1729; 1800
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist and Independent/Congregational.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
FRENSHAM, a tything and a parish in Farnham district, Surrey. The tything lies on an affluent of the river Wey, adjacent to the direct Portsmouth railway, and contiguous to the boundary with Hants, 3½ miles S of Farnham town and r. station; and it has a post office under Farnham. Real property, £3,225. Pop. in 1851, 714. Houses, 146. The parish contains also the tythings of Churt and Pitfold. Acres, 8,691. Real property, £5,241. Pop. in 1851, 1,559; in 1861, 1,750. Houses, 364. The increase of pop. arose from the works on the direct Portsmouth railway, and from the erection of a station and several houses in the immediate vicinity of Shottermill village. The property is much subdivided. Much of the surface is heathy and wild. A lake, called Frensham Great Pond, measures about 3 miles in circuit, and is a resort of large numbers of wild fowl. About 44 acres are under hops. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £106. Patron, the Rev. J. Colmer. The church is partly early English; has a square tower; and contains in its vestry an ancient copper caldron, 2 feet in diameter, on a rude iron trivet, probably of similar character to public utensils which anciently existed in many parishes, but about which many legendary tales are told. The p. curacies of Shottermill and Chart are separate benefices.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Online Records (Free)
County: Hampshire; Surrey
Civil Registration District: Farnham
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Rural Deanery: Stoke
Poor Law Union: Farnham
Hundred: Alton; Farnham