East Wellow is an Ancient Parish mostly in Hampshire and partly in Wiltshire.

Other places in the parish include: Embley, West Wellow.

Alternative names: East Wellow, Wellow

Parish church: St. Margaret

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1570
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1783

Nonconformists include: Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist.

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

WELLOW (East and West), two parishes in Romsey district, the former in Hants, the latter in Wilts; 3¾ and 4½ miles W by S of Romsey r. station. Post town, Romsey. Acres, 2,373 and 1,344. Real property, £1,856 and £3,194. But the acreage of East W. includes Dunwood extra-parochial tract; and the real property of West W. includes Bramshaw parish. Pop., 332 and 408. Houses, 61 and 103. The property is divided among a few. Embley Park is the seat of W. E. Nightingale, Esq. The livings are a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £245. Patron, W. E. Nightingale, Esq. The church is good; and there is a Baptist chapel.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

WELLOW, EAST (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of Romsey, partly in the hundred of Thorngate, Romsey and S. divisions of the county of Southampton, and partly in the hundred of Amesbury, Salisbury and Amesbury, and S. divisions of Wilts, 4 miles (W.) from Romsey; containing 713 inhabitants, of whom 241 are in the hamlet. The parish is situated between the two roads from Southampton to Salisbury; and, including the tythings of Embley and West Wellow, comprises 2080 acres, of which 478 are common or waste. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £5, and in the patronage of W. E. Nightingale, Esq., who, with the family of Hervey, is impropriator: the vicarial tithes have been commuted for £245. 5., with a glebe of 23¾ acres; and the impropriate tithes for £317. 10. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Embley

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

EMBLEY, a tything in East Wellow parish, Hants. 2 miles W of Romsey. Embley Park here is the seat of W. E. Nightingale, Esq.; possesses much interest as the home of Florence Nightingale; is an edifice in the Tudor style; and has very fine gardens, with a charming view.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Registers

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Hampshire; Wiltshire
  • Civil Registration District: Romsey
  • Probate Court: Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Winchester
  • Diocese: Winchester
  • Rural Deanery: Somborne
  • Poor Law Union: Romsey
  • Hundred: Thorngate; Amesbury
  • Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts