Droxford is an Ancient Parish in the county of Hampshire.
Other places in the parish include: Steeple Court, Shirrell-Heath, Hill, and Droxford Street.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1633
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1780
- Bishop's Waltham
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DROXFORD, a village, a parish, a district, and a division, in Hants. The village stands 3½ miles ENE of Bishops-Waltham r. station; and has a post office under Southampton, and a weekly market. The parish comprises the tythings of Droxford-Street, Hill, Shidfield, Swanmore, and Steeple-Court. Acres, 6,986. Rated property, £7,837. Pop., 2,194. Houses, 420. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £744. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church is partly early Norman. The vicarages of Shidfield and Swanmore are separate benefices. Charities, £11. The district comprehends the sub-district of Hambledon, containing the parishes of Hambledon, Droxford, and Soberton; the sub-district of Bishops-Waltham, containing the parishes of Bishops-Waltham, Durley, and Upham; and the sub-district of West Meon, containing the parishes of West Meon, Warnford, Exton, Corhampton, and Meon-Stoke. Acres, 48,263. Poor-rates in 1862, £6,481. Pop. in 1841, 10,281; in 1861, 10,665. Houses, 2,213. Marriages in 1860, 48; births, 296, of which 24 were illegitimate; deaths, 187, of which 42 were at ages under 5 years, and 6 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851 60,585; births, 3,247; deaths, 1892. The places of worship in 1851 were 18 of the Church of England, with 5,840 sittings; 2 of Independents, with 140 s.; 2 of Primitive Methodists, with 150 s.; and 1 of Roman Catholics, with 50 s. The schools were 16 public day schools, with 1,089 scholars; 17 private day schools, with 272 s.; 16 Sunday schools, with 1,053 s.; and 3 evening schools for adults, with 34 s. The workhouse is in Droxford. The division contains the hundreds of Bishops-Waltham, Hambledon, and Meon-Stoke; and is conterminate with the district.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Droxford
Probate Court: Pre-1845 - Court of the Peculiar of Droxford with Swanmore, Shidfield, Hill, and Midlington, Post-1844 - Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Winchester
Rural Deanery: Pre-1845 - None, Post-1844 - Droxford
Poor Law Union: Droxford
Hundred: Bishop's Waltham