Damerham is an Ancient Parish originally in the county of Wiltshire until 1895 when it was transferred to the county of Hampshire. Martin is a chapelry of Damerham.
Other places in the parish include: South End, North End, and East End.
Alternative names: South Damerham
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1678
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1606; 1622
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, and Primitive Methodist.
- Toyd Farm with Allenford
- Cranborne with Boveridge
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DAMERHAM (South), a parish and a hundred in Wilts. The parish is in Fordingbridge district; lies on an affluent of the river Avon, at the boundary with Dorset, 3 miles W of Fordingbridge r. station, and 7½ NW by N of Ringwood; includes the tythings of East End, North End, and South End; and has a post office, of the name of Damerham, under Salisbury. Acres, 4,310. Real property, with Martin and Whichbury, £9,674. Pop., 697. Houses, 149. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, 320. Patron, the Earl of Chichester. The church is good; and there are chapels for Independents and Baptists. The hundred contains also four other parishes. Acres, 16,832. Pop., 3,008. Houses, 694.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Fordingbridge
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
Rural Deanery: Chalke
Poor Law Union: Fordingbridge
Hundred: South Damerham