Avington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Hampshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1609
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1780
- Itchen Abbas
- Itchen Stoke with Abbotstone
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
AVINGTON, a parish in Winchester district, Hants; on the river Itching, 3 miles E of the Southwestern railway, and 5 NE of Winchester. Post Town, Itchen Abbots under Winchester. Acres, 1,794. Real property, £1,833. Pop., 162. Houses, 33. The manor belonged anciently to the Crown; was given, in 961, by King Edgar, to the monastery of St. Swithin at Winchester; passed, at the dissolution, to the Clerks of Mitcheldever; and went, in the reign of Elizabeth, to the family of Bruges or Brydges, who afterwards became Dukes of Chandos and Buckingham. The infamous Countess of Shrewsbury, who married into this family, was often visited here by Charles II. The present house is a modern brick structure, on the site of the ancient mansion. The park lies in a sequestered valley, nearly surrounded with high downs; is well wooded; and measures about 3 miles in circuit. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £265. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church stands in the park, and is modern. Charities, £20.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Winchester
Probate Court: Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Winchester
Rural Deanery: Alresford
Poor Law Union: Winchester