The County of Hampshire

Is bounded, North by Berkshire, East by Surrey and Sussex, South by the English Channel, and West by Dorsetshire and Wiltshire. About 42 miles long, and 38 broad. It is in ten divisions; Alton (North and South), Andover, Basingstoke, Fawley, Kingsclere, New-Forest (East and West), Portsdown, and the Isle-of- Wight, which comprise 39 small hundreds. Rivers: the Anton, the Avon, Boldre Water, Exe, Itcltin, and the Tese or Test. It has 26 Market- Towns. Area, 1628 square miles, or 1,041,920 acres. Population, 355,004. It is in the Province of Canterbury, in the Diocese of Winchester, and in the Western Circuit.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

The ancient shire county, along with its associated assizes, was also known as the County of Southampton or Southamptonshire. This was officially changed to Hampshire in 1959 although the county had been commonly known as Hampshire or Hantscire for centuries.

Hampshire Towns & Villages

Charles Cotton Butterfield Bankruptcy – Petersfield Hampshire – London Gazette 1850

Last updated on April 20th, 2017

IN BANKRUPTCY. In the Matter of Charles Cotton Butterfield, of Petersfield, in the county of Southampton, Banker, Dealer and Chapman, trading under the name or style of Butter field and Company, a bankrupt. Portsea. A capital well accustomed retail beer-house, four substantial dwelling-houses, and eleven tenements, all adjoining and producing a rental of about £95 per annum. ROOK and Son will sell by auction, under an order of Mr. Commissioner Holroyd, and by direction of the assignees of the said Chas. Cotton Butterfield, at the George Hotel, Portsmouth, on Thursday, May 9, 1850, at two o’clock in the afternoon, in one lot; A mortgage security for £1,000, upon the undivided moiety of and in all those capacious stucco fronted freehold premises, consisting of a well arranged beer-house, known as the “White Hart,” with excellent cellarage, bakehouse, with loft over, ” and pump therein, and office, in the occupation of Mr. Bewsey, situate in Britain-street, Portsea, forming the corner of Dean-street, from which there is a side entrance; and also of and in four substan tially built messuages or dwelling-houses, being Nos. 1, 2, 3, and 4, in Dean-street, in the occupation of Messrs. Irvin, Benfield, Bell, and Bedford; and of and in nine brick built messuages or tenements, forming Hobb’s-court, Dean street, with paved yard, pump, dust bin, and offices in common, in the occupation of Messrs. Shepherd, Bone, Ford, Abraham, Bone, Strout, Baggs, Low, and Charters; and also of and in 2 three roomed tenements, in Moor’s court, Dean-street, with paved yard and office in common, in the occupation of Messrs. Humphries and Godden.

The different properties may be viewed and further particulars obtained of E. Edwards, Esq. Official Assignee, No. 1, Sambrook-court, Basinghall-street, London; Messrs. Holme, Loftus, and Young, Solicitors, No. 10, New-inn, London; Mr. Cruickshank, Solicitor, Gosport; or of the Auctioneers, Portsmouth and Gosport.

George Pittis and Charles Pittis – Wymering Hampshire – London Gazette 1850

Last updated on April 20th, 2017

NOTICE. THE Partnership heretofore subsisting between us the undersigned, George Pittis and Charles Pittis, carrying on business at Wymering Farm, in the parish of Wymering, in the county of Hants, as Yeomen, has this day been dissolved by mutual consent. All debts due to or owing by the said partnership to be paid and received by the undersigned, George Pittis.-Dated this 10th day of April 1850. George Pittis. Charles Pittis.

Abbotstone The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840

Cottages at Abbotstone.
Cottages at Abbotstone. Abbotstone is a tiny hamlet on a cross roads not far from Itchen Stoke. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

ABBOTSTONE, a parish in the Winchester division of the hund. of Bountisborough, Alresford union, Southamptonshire; 2 ¾ miles north-west from New Alresford. Living, a rectory in the archd. and dio. of Winchester, united with the vicarage of Itchin-Stoke. Patron, in 1835, A. Baring, Esq. The population returned with Itchin-Stoke.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.

Abbotston Hampshire Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Abbotstone in Hampshire
Abbotstone in Hampshire is the site of an abandoned medieval village. There are just a few houses here today. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Abbotston (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Alresford, hundred of Bountisborough, Winchester and N. divisions of Hants, 2 ¾ miles (N. W.) from New Alresford. The living is a rectory, united to the vicarage of Itchin-Stoke, and valued in the king’s books at £13. 6. 8.: the church is in ruins. Here are the remains of some religious house, of which there is no authentic account.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.