Woolstone Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856

Woolstone is a township, very small village, and parish, 5 miles south-west from Tewkesbury, 5 north from Cheltenham (the post town and money order office), 5 west-north-west from Winchcomb, and 3 south-east from Ashchurch station, in the lower division of the Hundred and Union of Tewkesbury, East Gloucestershire, archdeaconry of Gloucester, and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol, situated on the Cotswold range of hills.  The church is an old building of stone, in good repair, and consists of a porch, chancel, and square tower with 3 bells; in the chancel is a recumbent figure of stone.  The living is a rectory, worth £200 yearly, and 33 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Right Hon. the Earl of Coventry, and incumbency of the Rev. Henry Wm. Coventry, B.A., who is also perpetual curate of the adjoining parish of Oxenton.  There is a recently erected residence, in a most picturesque situation, commanding extensive views.  Upon the hill at the back of the rectory are the remains of an old Roman encampment, and from this point the whole of Worcestershire and Gloucestershire can be seen; the view extending to the Welsh mountains on the one side, and Broadway and the Bredon hills on the other.  The district is thinly populated.  The population, in 1851, was 86; and the acreage is 787.  The soil is good, principally pasture, and a stiff clay in the valley.  The Earl of Coventry is lord of the manor and principal landowner.

Coventry Rev. Henry William, B.A.
Mills Mrs.

Traders
Hobbs Ann (Mrs.), farmer
Washbourne George, postmaster

Post Office. – George Washbourne, receiver.  Letters arrive from Cheltenham by foot post, at ½ past 11 a.m.; dispatched 4 p.m.  The nearest money order office is at Cheltenham.

Registrar of Births & Deaths & Relieving Officer, John Martin, Overbury.

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol.  Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.