Woolstone is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Alternative names: Woolston
Parish registers begin: Bishops Transcripts 1575
Parishes adjacent to Woolstone
- Bishop's Cleeve
The Imperial Gazetteer 1870
WOOLSTONE, a parish in Tewkesbury district, Gloucester; 3 miles SE of Ashchurch r. station, and 5¼ N of Cheltenham. Post town, Cheltenham. Acres, 787. Real property, £1,643. Pop., 81. Houses, 20. The manor belongs to the Earl of Coventry. A hill, at the back of the parsonage, has remains of a Roman camp, and commands a very extensive view. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £200. Patron, the Earl of Coventry. The church is old but good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Woolston, a parish in the lower division of the hund. of Deerhurst, but locally situated in that of Cleeve, union of Tewkesbury, county of Gloucester; 4 miles west-north-west of Winchcombe, near the line of the Birmingham and Gloucester railway. Living, a rectory, formerly in the archd. and dio. of Gloucester, now in the dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £13 6s. 0½d.; gross income £203. Patron, the earl of Coventry. In 1833 here was 1 daily school. Acres 860. Houses 19. A. P. £1,486. Pop., in 1801, 83; in 1831, 92. Poor rates, in 1838, £31 1s
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Woolstone Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856
Woolstone is a township, very small village, and parish, 5 miles south-west from Tewkesbury, 5 north from Cheltenham (the post town and money order office), 5 west-north-west from Winchcomb, and 3 south-east from Ashchurch station, in the lower division of the Hundred and Union of Tewkesbury, East Gloucestershire, archdeaconry of Gloucester, and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol, situated on the Cotswold range of hills. The church is an old building of stone, in good repair, and consists of a porch, chancel, and square tower with 3 bells; in the chancel is a recumbent figure of stone. The living is a rectory, worth £200 yearly, and 33 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Right Hon. the Earl of Coventry, and incumbency of the Rev. Henry Wm. Coventry, B.A., who is also perpetual curate of the adjoining parish of Oxenton. There is a recently erected residence, in a most picturesque situation, commanding extensive views. Upon the hill at the back of the rectory are the remains of an old Roman encampment, and from this point the whole of Worcestershire and Gloucestershire can be seen; the view extending to the Welsh mountains on the one side, and Broadway and the Bredon hills on the other. The district is thinly populated. The population, in 1851, was 86; and the acreage is 787. The soil is good, principally pasture, and a stiff clay in the valley. The Earl of Coventry is lord of the manor and principal landowner.
Coventry Rev. Henry William, B.A.
Hobbs Ann (Mrs.), farmer
Washbourne George, postmaster
Post Office. – George Washbourne, receiver. Letters arrive from Cheltenham by foot post, at ½ past 11 a.m.; dispatched 4 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Cheltenham.
Registrar of Births & Deaths & Relieving Officer, John Martin, Overbury.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Tewkesbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Winchcombe
- Poor Law Union: Tewkesbury
- Hundred: Deerhurst
- Province: Canterbury