Woodchester is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish registers begin: 1563
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and Roman Catholic.
Parishes adjacent to Woodchester
The Imperial Gazetteer 1870
WOODCHESTER, a parish, with a village, in Stroud district, Gloucester; on the Nailsworth railway, 2½ miles SW of Stroud. It has a post-office under Stroud, and a r. station. The parish comprises 1,203 acres. Real property, £3,728. Pop., 816. Houses, 189. The property is much subdivided. W. Park, W. House, the Priory, Park Hill, Atcombe House , Southfield House, and Chesterhill House are chief residences. Remains of a fine Roman pavement are near the site of the old church. The manufacture of broad-cloths, scarlet and billiard cloths, and pins is carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £325. Patron,Hooper, Esq. The church was rebuilt, on a new site, in 1863. There are Baptist and Roman Catholic chapels, and an endowed school with £125 a year. A Dominican priory, large and handsome, was erected in 1858, and educates candidates for the priesthood. A Franciscan convent, also large and handsome, was erected in 1859, and has about 22 nuns. An orphanage, in connexion with the convent, was established in 1862; and educates, feeds, and clothes 18 children.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Woodchester, 2 m. N.E. Horseley. P. 908
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Harrison James, Woodchester, Gloucestershire, clothier, March 21, 1826.
Harrison James, Woodchester, Gloucestershire, clothier, Dec. 14, 1827.
Martin William, Woodchester, Gloucestershire, clothier, Sept. 29, 1840.
Wathen Obadiah Paul, Woodchester, Gloucestershire, clothier, Jan. 5, 1838
Woodchester Bennetts Business Directory 1899
Browning J, grocer, High st
Browning W, dealer in all kinds of groceries, sweets, &c., Station rd
Cardwell E W, builder
Cross Inn, High st – T Wilson
Demmery S, bootmaker
Fletcher W, grocer
Fox E J & Co., cloth manfrs. Southfields
Gorton G, family grocer & provision dealer, General Stores, Post Office, High st
Grist J & Co., shoddy manfrs
Harding J, grocer, High st
Hatton Mrs, dressmaker, High st
Hopkins W J, seedsman
Hyett M, grocer
Jefferies S, coal mcht, Railway Station
Jersey Creamery Co, Inchbrook
Jerseys. Ltd, dairy appliance makers
Jones E, painter, High st
Lewton W, carpenter
Lugg W F, shoeing smith, Station Hill
Mabbett W M, butcher, Cainscross
Matthews J & W, shoeing smiths, Frogmarsh
Newman S J, brassfounder
Old Fleece Inn, Rooksmore – J W Neale
Pearce G H, carriage builder
Penn Mrs, draper
Phillips N, green grocer, Bridge st
Pitt N C & Co, cork manfrs
Plough Inn – W Lewton
Pugh T, grocer, Cainscross
Ram Inn, High st – C Harrison
Ratcliff C & J, carpenters
Royal Oak – J Mortimer
Spring Inn – W Shill
Smith W, greengrocer
Telegraph & Money Order Office
Turner A & Co, drapers
Turner J, butcher, High st
While, grocer, Paker Hill
White Horse Inn – J Hooper
Woodward W, baker, High st
Workman H, timber mcht
Yew Tree Inn, High st – G Latham
Yorke J M, grocer, Selsey rd
Source: Bennetts Business Directory (Gloucestershire Section) 1899; Bennett & Co. Printers and Publishers, Birmingham.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Stroud
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Stonehouse
- Poor Law Union: Stroud
- Hundred: Longtree
- Province: Canterbury