Winson is a chapelry of Bibury Ancient Parish in Gloucestershire.
Alternative names: Winston
Parish church: St. Michael
Parish registers begin: 1577
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Winson
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WINSON, a chapelry in Bibury parish, Gloucester; 6 miles NE of Cirencester r. station. Post town, Fairford, under Swindon. Acres, 1,190. Rated property, £1,454. Pop., 181. Houses, 49. The manor belongs to Sir W. A Musgrave. The living is annexed to Bibury. The church is good; and there is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Winston, in Bibury, 6 miles N.W. Cirencester. P. 202
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Winson Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856
Winson is a hamlet and chapelry in the township of Bibury, distant 2 miles north and 7 north-west from Fairford, 4 south from Northleach, and 7 north-east from Cirencester, in Bradley Hundred, Northleach Union and electoral division, Gloucester and Bristol bishopric, seated on the river Coln. The church of St. Michael is a small stone building, with nave and chancel. The living is next to Bibury. The Rev. Henry Snow, M.A., is the incumbent. There is a National school for boys and girls. The population, in 1851, was 170, and the acreage is 1,190; rateable value, £1,454. The soil is stone brash. Sir James Musgrave, of Barnsbury Park, is lord of the manor, and chief landowner.Agg James, butcher & shopkeeper
Baker Edward, farmer
Bradley James, shopkeeper
Cook Michael, farmer
Guest John, stonemason
Harris Thomas, carpenter & postmaster
Hopkins Thomas, baker
Smith Richard, carrier
Yells Lambert, farmer
Post Office. – Thomas Harris, receiver. Letters from Fairford arrive at ¼ before 10 a.m.; dispatched at 4 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Northleach.
National School, Mrs. Eliza Guest, mistress.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Northleach
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of Bibury
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Fairford
- Poor Law Union: Northleach
- Hundred: Bradley
- Province: Canterbury