Windrush is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish registers begin: 1586
Parishes adjacent to Windrush
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WINDRUSH, a parish, with a village, in Northleach district, Gloucester; 4 miles W by N of Burford r. station. Post town, Burford, under Faringdon. Acres, 1,710. Real property, £2,037; of which £20 are in quarries. Pop., 290. Houses, 65. The manor belongs to Lord Sherborne. There is a Roman camp. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Sherborne. The church is old. Charities £20 and 10 acres for fuel.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Windrush Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856
Windrush is a township, parish, and village, 7 miles south-west from Shipton station on the Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton railway, 16 north-east from Cirencester station, and 4 west from Burford, in Upper Slaughter Hundred, Northleach Union, East Gloucestershire, Gloucester archdeaconry and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric. It is seated on the river Windrush. The church of St. Peter is an old stone building in the Gothic style; it has tower, nave, south aisle, chancel and 6 bells. The living is a vicarage, consolidated with Sherborne, in the gift of Lord Sherborne; the Rev. Edward J. Todd, B.A., is the incumbent, and the Rev. John W. Panten, M.A., is the curate. There is a day school for poor children, supported by Lord Sherborne. An old Roman encampment is in this parish. The population, in 1851, was 332, and the acreage is 1,800; rateable value, £1,680; the soil, oolite; the subsoil is the same. The Right Hon. Lord Sherborne is lord of the manor and chief landowner. There are charities of £20 yearly value, viz., 10 acres of land for the good of the church, and 10 acres for the benefit of the poor.Manor Farm and Pinchpool are farms.
Todd Rev. Edwd. James, B.A. (vicar)
Collett William, shoemaker
Draper Edward, shopkeeper
Franklin John, “Fox’ & posting house
Herbert William, shopkeeper
Hooper Thomas, baker
Lane David, farmer, Manor farm
Lane William, farmer
Porter Benj. farmer, Pinchpool farm
Mason Sarah Ann (Mrs.), maltster, miller & baker, Windrush mill
Rodway William, quarryman
Wheeler Joseph, blacksmith
Letters are received through Burford, which is the nearest money order office.
Day School, Miss Ann Hooper, mistress
Carrier – Chas. Barnett, from Sherborne, passes through, Tuesdays & Fridays, to Shipton station, & Saturdays to Burford, & returns the same days.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Northleach
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Northleach
- Poor Law Union: Northleach
- Hundred: Slaughter
- Province: Canterbury