Whitminster is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Alternative names: Wheatenhurst
Parish church: St. Andrew
Parish registers begin: 1538
Nonconformists include: Baptist
Parishes adjacent to Whitminster
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WHEATENHURST, or Whitminster, a village, a parish, and a district, in Gloucester. The village stands near the Stroud canal, the Gloucester and Berkeley canal, and the river Severn, 3 miles NW of Stonehouse r. station; and has a post-office, of the name of Whitminster, under Stonehouse. The parish comprises 1,237 acres of land, and 10 of water. Real property, £2,949. Pop., 411. Houses, 92. The manor belongs partly to J. Bengough, Esq. Whitminster House is the seat of H. H. Wilton, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £135. Patron, J. Bengough, Esq. The church is early English, and was enlarged in 1842. There are an endowed school with £31 a year, and charities £32. The district contains 14 parishes, and is divided into Haresfield and Frampton sub-districts. Acres, 24,471. Poor rates in 1863, £3,984. Pop. in 1851, 7,987; in 1861, 7,813. Houses, 1,721. Marriages in 1863, 34; births, 226, of which 12 were illegitimate; deaths, 116, of which 40 were at ages under 5 years, and 9 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 422; births, 2,497; deaths, 1,489. The places of worship, in 1851, were 15 of the Church of England, with 4,036 sittings; 2 of Independents, with 420 s.; 2 of Baptists, with 220 s.; 4 of Wesleyans, with 835 s.; and 1 undefined, with 50 s. The schools were 18 public day-schools, with 918 scholars; 14 private day-schools, with 222 s.; and 18 Sunday schools, with 1,165 s. The workhouse is in Eastington.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Wheatenhurst or Whitminster Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876
Wheatenhurst (or Whitminster), is a parish and village, the principal of the union to which it gives the name, containing by the census of 1861, 411, and in 1871, 428 inhabitants, and 1217 acres; in the deanery and archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, hundred of Whitstone, East Gloucestershire; 2 ½ miles north-west from Stonehouse Stations on the Great Western and Midland Railway, and 7 ½ south-west from Gloucester. The vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. Anthony Ely, M.A., is valued at £135 per annum, and is in the patronage of George Bengough, Esq. The church is an ancient edifice, dedicated to St. Andrew, in the Early English style, consisting of nave, chancel, north and south aisles, and tower containing 4 bells; it was enlarged about 1850. There is a school for children of both sexes, which has an endowment of £30 per annum. A new Court House was erected here a few years since, in which the magistrates hold Petty Sessions fortnightly on a Thursday. John Bengough, Esq., is lord of the manor, and he and Henry Hooper Wilton, Esq., are the principal landowners. The rateable value of this parish is £2597.
Clergy and Gentry
Bullock Glegg, Esq., Whitminster lodge
Critchley Mr. Samuel
Ely Rev. Anthony, M.A., vicar and Surrogate
Grey John, Esq., J.P., The Parklands
Hogg Mr. William
Rogers Mr. George
Wadley Mr. Daniel
Wilton Henry Hooper, Esq., J.P., Whitminster house
Trades and Professions
Andrews John, blacksmith
Artus James, butcher
Berrows George, carrier
Boucher James, blacksmith
Browning Frederick, farmer, Manor farm
Clutterbuck Peter, boat owner
Cooke Daniel, baker, grocer, and beer retailer
Critchley Mrs. Elizabeth, shopkeeper
Harris Miss Frances P., shopkeeper
Hill John Tratman, farmer, Packthorne farm
Lay John, shoemaker
Long John K, master of Endowed School
Parker Chas. Henry, farmer, Jackson’s farm
Perrin Thomas, police sergeant
Perry George, carpenter and wheelwright
Perry Walter, carpenter, wheelwright, and sub-postmaster
Vaughan Job, cattle dealer
Vick John, farmer and cattle dealer, Kidman’s farm
Vick John, Jun., farmer and cattle dealer, Mill farm
Wadley James, “Whitminster” hotel
Williams James, coal dealer
Post Office – Walter Perry, sub-postmaster. Letters from Stonehouse arrive at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 5.15 p.m. Frampton-on-Severn and Eastington are the nearest money order offices.
Police station – Thomas Perrin, sergeant in charge
Endowed School – John K. Long, master; Mrs. Rhoda S. Long, mistress
Carrier – John Berrows to Gloucester, Wed and Sat
Source: Morris & Co.’s commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.
Whitminster Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856
Whitminster, or Wheatenhurst, is a township, parish and village, 2 ½ miles west from Stonehouse railway station, and 7 ½ south from Gloucester, in Whitstone Hundred, Wheatenhurst Union, East Gloucestershire, Gloucester archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric. It is situated on the navigable river Severn, Gloucester and Berkeley canal, and Stroud canal. The church of St. Andrew, an old stone building in the early English style, was enlarged about 1850; it has a tower, nave, aisles, porch, chancel, organ, 4 bells, monuments, and font. The living is a perpetual curacy, worth £135 yearly, in the gift of George Bengough, Esq.; the Rev. Anthony Ely, B.A., is the incumbent. There is a Parochial school for boys and girls. The population, in 1851, was 380, and the acreage is 1,237. The coil is principally clay. George Bengough, Esq., is lord of the manor. George Bengough, Esq., and Henry Hooper Wilton, Esq., are chief landowners. There are charities of £28 yearly value.
Jacksons, Kidmans, Manor Farm, Park Fields, Whitminster House, and Packthorne farm, are in this parish.
Harris Clement Mears, esq.
Martin Richard, esq. Park fields
Andrews John, blacksmith
Barnfield William, shopkeeper
Boucher John, cattle dealer
Browning William, farmer, Manor farm
Butler Henry W. farmer, Jackson’s farm
Chandler John, shopkeeper
Clutterbuck Charles, barge owner
Critchley Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper & beer retailer
Crump John, farmer
Halsey Thomas, farmer, Kidmans
Harris Clement Mears, surgeon
Hogg William, coal merchant & barge owner
Lambert William, Whitminster inn, & postmaster
Lay John, shopkeeper
Martin William, farmer
Pearce Ann (Mrs.), mistress of National school
Perry George, carpenter & wheelwright
Perry Walter, carpenter & wheelwright
Perry William, cabinet maker
Ravenhill James, butcher
Stapleton William, parish clerk
Watts Henry, farmer, Whitminster house
Post Office. – William Lambert, postmaster. Letters arrive from Stonehouse at 20 min. to 9 a.m.; dispatched at ½ past 5 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Frampton-on-Severn.
Parochial school, Mrs. Ann Pearce & Miss Ellen Jones, mistresses.
Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.
Whettenhurst Gloucestershire Men and Armour 1608
Wherof William Bayly gent. Is Lord.
Phillip Sheppeard gent. 2. p.
John Crewe his servant. 1. ca.
Henry Wedley. 1. ca.
Edward Parke. 1. ca.
[The two above, Husbandmen servants to Byrd gent.]
[The above two, Servants also to the said Mr. Byrd.]
John Pearce Tucker. 2. ca.
John Slade Caryar. 2. py.
John Shepperd husbandman. 2. ca.
John Blisse Saylor. 2. m.
Thomas Bowry husbandman. 1. ca.
Edmond Heynes Tucker. 2. ca. tr.
Anselme Bayly Clothier. 2. m. tr.
Henry Thomas his servant.
Thomas Weaver husbandman. 2. py.
Thomas Taylor husbandman. 2. ca.
Michaell Parke brodewever. 2. ca.
John Dawby Smith. 2. py.
Leonard Haulinge Carpenter. 1. p.
William Burdley Tucker. 2. p. tr.
John Burdley his sonne. 1. p.
Robert Parke Tucker. 2. ca.
Will’m Symes Tucker. 2. py.
John Bushe his servant. 1. ca.
John Symes Tucker.
Benedict Newman Tucker. 1. ca.
John Harrys husbandman. 2. m. tr.
Richard Handman husbandman. tr.
Hugh Handman his sonne. 1. ca.
Thomas Wall husbandman. 2. py.
John Parke husbandman. 2. ca. tr.
Richard Caswell husbandman. 2. ca.
Leonard Harrys husbandman. 1. ca.
Richard Pulford husbandman. 2. py.
Henry Newman husbandman. 1. ca.
Leonard Halle Clothier. 2. m. tr.
Gyles Wodley husbandman. 2. ca.
Henry Payne husbandman. 1. ca.
John Shott husbandman. 2. ca.
John Swanley brodewever. 2. ca.
John Masters husbandman. 2. py.
Will’m ffreeman brodewever. 1. m.
Edward Wilkins husbandman. 1. ca.
James ffreame husbandman. 1. ca.
John Jeffe Inkeeper 2. ca.
Henry Bullocke. 1. ca.
Phillip Williams. 1. ca.
[The above two, Servants to the said John Jeffe].
John Morgan husbandman. 1. ca.
The figure (1). sheweth the age of that man to bee about Twenty.
The figure (2). Sheweth the age of that man to bee about fforty.
The figure (3.) sheweth the age of that man to bee between fyfty and threescore.
The L’re (P.) sheweth the man to be of the tallest stature fitt to make a pykeman.
The L’re (m.) sheweth the man to bee of a middle stature fitt to make a musketyer.
The L’res (ca.) sheweth the man to bee of a lower stature fitt to serve with a Calyver.
The L’res (py.) sheweth the man to bee of the meanest stature either fit for a pyoner, or of little other use.
The L’res (tr.) sheweth that at the takinge of this viewe, hee was then a trayned soldyer.
The L’res (sub.) sheweth that the said man was then a subsidy man.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Wheatenhurst
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 - Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Gloucester
- Poor Law Union: Wheatenhurst
- Hundred: Whitstone (Gloucestershire)
- Province: Canterbury