Whiteshill is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Gloucestershire, created in 1844 from chapelry in Stroud Ecclesiastical Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Bread Street, Ruscombe, and Paganhill.
Parish church: St Paul
Parish registers begin: 1845
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
Parishes adjacent to Whiteshill
Historical DescriptionsThe memorial arch in Stroud circa 1964., near to Whiteshill, Gloucestershire. The copyright on this image is owned by Antony Ewart Smith and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND & WALES 1870
WHITESHILL, a chapelry in Stroud parish, Gloucester; 1 mile from Stroud r. station. It was constituted in 1843; and it contains Paganhill, Bread-Street, and Ruscombe hamlets, the first of which has a post-office under Stroud. Pop., 1,516. Houses, 342. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £116. Patron, the Bishop of G. and B. The church was built in 1841. There are an Independent chapel and a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Paganhill Gloucestershire Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Paganhill, a hamlet in Whiteshill chapelry, Stroud parish, Gloucester; 1 mile from Stroud r. station. It has a post-office under Stroud.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].
Ruscombe. Tucked into a narrow valley in the Cotswolds just north of Stroud. A view from the Congregational church. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
White's Hill, with the Hamlets of Pagan Hill, Bread Street and Ruscombe Gloucestershire Directory 1856
White's Hill (Whiteshill) is a village situate in the township, parish, Union and parliamentary borough of Stroud, 1 mile from the Stroud railway station, in the archdeaconry of Gloucester and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol. The church of St. Paul was built in the year 1851, with stone, in the Norman style, and has a tower, nave, chancel, organ, and 1 bell. The living is a perpetual curacy, worth £54 yearly, with residence and 3 acres of glebe land, on the gift of the Bishop; the Rev. William Harris Roach, B.A., is the incumbent. There is an Independent chapel, and a National school for boys and girls, supported by voluntary contributions. The population, in 1851, including Bread Street and Ruscombe, was 1,400, and the acreage is about 500. Joseph Cripps, Esq., is the chief landowner.
Farm Hill and Field Place are situated here.
Roach Rev. William Harris, B.A. Parsonage house
Clissold Henry, beer retailer
Copner George, beer retailer
Merrett Reuben, carpenter
Phipps Edwin, farmer, Stokenhill farm
Phipps Thomas, farmer, Kite's Nest frm
Steel Henry, 'Star'
Cripps Joseph, esq. Farm hill
Freeman Mrs. Field place
Hunt Dutton, esq. Farm hill
Miles Mrs. Henry
Bidmead Richard, flock manufacturer & dairyman
Cox Joseph, baker & postmaster
Harper Ann (Miss), laundress
Harper John, carpenter & builder
Hill Richard, butcher & farmer
Holmes Edward, millwright & engineer
Holmes William, blacksmith & farrier
Jorden Joseph, wheelwright
King Thomas, teasel merchant
Leech John, beer retailer & butcher
Pearce Benjamin, shopkeeper
Smith Richard, plasterer
Vines Henry, 'Rose'
Watkins Francis, bookmaker
Wicks Matthew, seedsman
Leech John, butcher
Bennett William, shopkeeper
Browning Samuel, shopkeeper
Cook James, beer retailer & baker
Lewis James, shoemaker
Phipps John, farmer, Ruscombe farm
Pitt Hannah (Mrs), beer retailer
Smith Samuel, shopkeeper & baker
Post Office.- Joseph Cox, receiver, Pagan hill. Letters arrive through Stroud at 8 a.m. & are dispatched at 1/4 past 4 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Stroud.
Places of Worship:-
St. Paul's Church, Rev. Wm. Harris Roach, B.A. incumbent.
Independent Chapel, Ruscombe, no settled minister
National (boys & girls), Charles Whittard Baily, master; Mrs. Mary Ann Moreman, mistress.
British (infant), Mrs. Esther Browning, mistress
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Stroud
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Stonehouse
- Poor Law Union: Stroud
- Hundred: Bisley
- Province: Canterbury