Walton Cardiff is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Gloucestershire, created in late 1600s from a chapelry in Tewkesbury Ancient Parish.
Parish church: St. James
Parish registers begin: 1677
Parishes adjacent to Walton Cardiff
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WALTON-CARDIFF, a parish in Tewkesbury district, Gloucester; 1 mile SE by E of Tewkesbury r. station. Post town, Tewkesbury. Acres, 650. Real property, £1,287. Pop., 70. Houses, 14. There is a mineral spring. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £56. Patron, All Souls College, Oxford. The church was recently rebuilt.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Walton Cardiff Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856
Walton Cardiff is a township, very small village, and parish, 1 mile south-east-by-east of Tewkesbury, in the lower division of the Hundred and the Union of Tewkesbury, bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol, and archdeaconry of Gloucester. The church of St. James, an old stone building in the early English style, has a small bell cupola; the interior has been recently entirely repaired. The living is a perpetual curacy, worth £56 yearly, in the gift of the Warden and Fellows of All Souls’ College, Oxford. The Rev. Charles Greenall Davies, M.A., is the incumbent. No burials take place here; the parishioners have the right of burial in the neighbouring parish of Ashchurch. In case of very high floods, the church is inaccessible, and the water has occasionally been in the building. The population, in 1851, was 60, and the acreage is 649. There is a charity of £1 10s. yearly value, left by Miss Smithsend, and distributed annually at Christmas in blankets. In the grounds of S. P. Peacock, Esq., is a fine mineral spring, resembling those at Cheltenham.
Peacock Spencer Percival, esq.
Brotheridge Ambrose Day, farmer
Long Samuel, farmer
Letters received through Tewkesbury, which is also the nearest money order office.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Tewkesbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Winchcombe
- Poor Law Union: Tewkesbury
- Hundred: Tewkesbury
- Province: Canterbury