Upleadon, Gloucestershire Family History Guide

Upleadon is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1538
  • Bishop's Transcripts: 1585

Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Parishes adjacent to Upleadon

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

UPLEADON, a parish in Newent district, Gloucestershire; 3 miles E by N of Newent, and 7 NW of Gloucester r. station. Post town, Newent, under Gloucester. Acres, 1,207. Real property, £2,584. Pop., 237. Houses, 56. Considerable iron forges were formerly here, and were converted into a flour-mill. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £103. Patron, the Bishop of G. and B. The church has a Norman arch, and was restored in 1853. There is a national school.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Upleadon, a parish in the hund. of Botloe, union of Newent, county of Gloucester; 3 miles east by north of Newent, on the river Leadon. Living, a perpetual curacy in the archd. of Hereford and dio. of Gloucester; rated at £14; returned at £82. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester. Award of rent-charge £359 3s. 10d. On the north side of the church is a Norman doorway. Acres 1,220. Houses 44. A. P. £1,571. Pop., in 1801, 160; in 1831, 241. Poor rates, in 1838, £138 8s

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.


Upleadon Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856

Upleadon, anciently Ledene, is a township, small parish and straggling village, containing 1,207 acres, distant 3 miles north-west from Newent, 9 south-east from Ledbury, 9 south-west from Tewkesbury, and 8 miles west-north-west from Gloucester railway station.  It is situate on the turnpike road leading from Newent to Tewkesbury, and is in the Hundred of Botloe, West Gloucestershire and Newent Union, in the archdeaconry of Gloucester, deanery of the Forest, and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol.  The soil is a red loam, about a third of which is in pasture and meadow, situate on the banks of the Leadon, by which this parish is bounded on the east.  The arable portion is planted with fruit trees of the choicest descriptions, but at a sufficient distance from each other, so as not to obstruct the growth of the different grains sown thereon. The population, in 1851, was 275, and its rateable value is £2,000.  The living is a perpetual curacy, valued at £80 yearly, with residence, being in the patronage of the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol.  The Rev. Andrew Sayers, M.A., is the incumbent, and the Rev. William Bedford, B.A., is the curate.  The church is small, and consists of a nave, chancel, and low wooden tower containing 2 bells.  On the north side is an elegantly ornamented arch, over the doorway, in the Saxon style of architecture, which is visited by antiquarians from all parts.  There were formerly considerable iron forges here, which are now converted into flour mills, one of which is tenanted by the Messrs. Allaway, of Upleadon Court, who also occupy the largest farm in the parish.  The Rev. Richard Hodges, M.A., of Little Barrington, Oxfordshire, is lord of the manor, also chief landowner.  Here is a National school for boys and girls.  There are no charities in conjunction with this parish.
Drews, Beyton, and Hay Farm, are places here.

Allaway Mr. Robert, Upleadon court
Allaway Mr. William, Upleadon court
Bedford Rev. William, M.A., Parsonage
Ford Mr. Daniel, Drews

Allaway Robert & William, farmers & millers, Upleadon court
Allen Charles, butcher
Coates Daniel, blacksmith & shopkeeper
Compton William, shopkeeper
Ford Charles, farmer, Upleadon farm
Ford Joseph, farmer, Middletown
Green Thomas, shopkeeper
Jones Thomas, carpenter & wheelwright
Merrett Richd. blacksmith & wheelwright
Merrett Wm. blacksmith & wheelwright
Watkins Joseph, shopkeeper
West Thomas, farmer, Hay farm
Woodhouse Emma (Mrs.), mistress of National school
Woodhouse Joseph Wells, master of National school

Letters through Newent, which is also the nearest money order office.

National School (for boys & girls), Joseph Wells Woodhouse, master; Mrs. Emma Woodhouse, mistress.

Carrier (passing through) – Leighton, from Poole Hill to Gloucester, every Saturday, returning same day.

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol.  Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.


  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Newent
  • Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Hereford, Post-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Forest
  • Poor Law Union: Newent
  • Hundred: Botloe
  • Province: Canterbury