Turkdean is a township, parish and small village, 2 miles north from Northleach, 12 north from Cirencester and south-west from Stow, in Bradley Hundred, Northleach Union and electoral division, Gloucester archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric, situated on the old Roman fossway, on the Cotswold hills. The church, a small old building, in the Norman style, has tower, nave, chancel and 3 bells. The living is a vicarage, worth £200 yearly, with residence, in the gift of Oxford, Christ Church; the Rev. Frederick Biscoe, M.A., is the incumbent. There is a National school for boys and girls. The population, in 1851, was 278, and the acreage is 1,890; rateable value, £1,840. The soil is stone brash. Harry Edmund Waller, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner. There are charities of £35 yearly value.
Leygore is a farm.
Biscoe Rev. Frederick, M.A., [vicar]
Draper George, shopkeeper
Hewer George, farmer, Leygore farm
Miller Richard, wheelwright
Roberts Emma (Miss), schoolmistress
Smith Laurence, farmer
Soul William, blacksmith
Tayler Thomas, farmer
Walker Samuel, farmer
Wright Joseph, mason & parish clerk
Letters received through Northleach, which is also the nearest money order office.
National School, Miss Emma Roberts, mistress
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.