Tredington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish church: St. John the Baptist
Parish registers begin: 1541
Parishes adjacent to Tredington
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
TREDINGTON, a parish in Tewkesbury district, Gloucester; 2½ miles SSE of Tewkesbury r. station. Post town, Tewkesbury. Acres, 870. Real property, £1,733. Pop., 117. Houses, 28. T. House is the seat of Major J. Surman. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £61. Patron, the Bishop of G. and B. The church is Norman.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Tredington Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876
Tredington is a parish and village in Tewkesbury union, containing, by the census of 1861, 117, and in 1871, 153 inhabitants, with an area of 991 acres; in the deanery of Winchcomb, archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, the lower division of Tewkesbury hundred, East Gloucestershire; 2 ½ miles south-east from Tewkesbury and 6 ½ north from Cheltenham. The vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. John F. Green, M.A., is valued at £61 per annum, with residence, and is in the patronage of the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an ancient edifice of the latter part of the 13th century, in the Norman style, and contains a chancel remarkable for its extreme length; there is a peculiar stone seat and the remains of two Norman windows, and on the north side of the altar a sacrarium. The tower is of wood and contains 5 bells. There is a chartable bequest producing £9 per year for the repairs of the church.
Tredington Court, the seat of John Surman, Esq., D.L., J.P. for Gloucestershire and the borough of Tewkesbury, and formerly of H.M. 58th regiment, who is lord of the manor and chief owner of the soil, is an ancient edifice, which has been the seat of his family for more than two centuries. The rateable value of this parish is £1642.
Clergy and Gentry
Green Rev. John Fowler, M.A.
Surman John, Esq., D.L., J.P., Tredington court
Trades and Professions
Banks Charles, shopkeeper
Bartlett William, blacksmith
Bick Joseph, farmer and miller
Buckle John, farmer
Dyson William, sawyer
Phillips James, farmer
Letters from Tewkesbury arrive at 8 a.m. Box cleared at 5.20 p.m. on week-days only. The nearest money order office is at Tewkesbury.
Source: Morris & Co.’s commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Tewkesbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Winchcombe
- Poor Law Union: Tewkesbury
- Hundred: Tewkesbury
- Province: Canterbury