Tibberton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish registers begin: 1659
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Tibberton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
TIBBERTON, a parish in Newent district, Gloucester; 3½ miles SE of Newent, and 4½ NE by N of Grange-Court r. station. Post town, Gloucester. Acres, 1,400. Real property, £2,919. Pop., 391. Houses, 78. The manor, with T. Court, belongs to W. P. Price, Esq. Meredith is the seat of Lady Wedderburn. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £328. Patron, the Rev. H. D. Y. Scott. The church is good; and there are a Wesleyan chapel, a British school, and charities £12.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Tibberton Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876
Tibberton is a parish and village in Newent union, containing, by the census of 1861, 391, and in 1871, 398 inhabitants, and 1400 acres of land; in the northern division of the deanery of the Forest, archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, hundred of the Duchy of Lancaster, West Gloucestershire; 4 miles north from Oakle Station on the South Wales section of the Great Western Railway, 4 south-east from Newent, and 5 north-west from Gloucester. The rectory, in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Honywood Dobyn Yate Scott, M. A., is valued at £328 per annum, with residence and six acres of glebe land. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, consists of nave, chancel, and porch at the west end, with tower containing three bells. It was re-seated about eight years ago with open benches, and contains a good organ. There is a brass tablet in the church to the memory of Sir James Scott, K.C.B. (father of the present rector), to whom also there is a handsome monument in St. Paul’s Cathedral, erected by his brother officers. The Wesleyans have a place of worship here, and there is a British School for children of both sexes. The poor have chartable bequests producing about £10 per annum. William Philip Price, Esq., D.L., J.P., is lord of the manor. The rateable value of this parish is £2869.
Clergy, Gentry and Private Residents
Drew Mr. Henry
Oakey Mr. Giles, Raglan cottage
Price Capt. William Edwin, M P., Tibberton court
Price William Philip, Esq., D.L., J.P., and railway commissioner, Tibberton court
Scott Rev. Honywood Dobyn Yate, M.A., rector, The Rectory
Teague Mrs. Amy, Winford villa
Teague Mr. William
Wedderburn Sir David, Bart., Meredith
Wedderburn Lady Henrietta Louisa, Meredith
Trades and Professions
Baldwin Joseph, cattle dealer, Driver’s
Butler Edwin, farmer, Palmer’s farm
Dobbs Mrs. Charlotte, farmer, Merriman’s farm
Fluck Emmanuel, builder, Paradise cottage
Loveridge Albert, miller, Tibberton mill
Loveridge John, farmer, Pool’s farm
Loveridge John, Jun., farmer, Pool’s farm
Need George, farmer, Wade’s End farm
Palmer Benjamin, farmer, Griffin’s farm
Phelps Daniel, farmer, Hannan’s farm
Priday Thos, Draper, farmer, Bovone farm
Smith Mrs. Frances, farmer, Morse’s farm
Smith Joseph, farmer, Birdsend farm
Stephens George, Shopkeeper and parish clerk
Stephens Thomas, baker and grocer
Taylor Miss Sarah Elizabeth, blacksmith, Cuckold’s ash
Teague Charles, builder and wheelwright
Teague John, shoemaker
Trigg Charles, farm bailiff and sub-postmaster, Post Office
Webb Enos, British schoolmaster
Young Thomas, shopkeeper
Post Office – Charles Trigg, sub-postmaster. Letters through Gloucester delivered at 9.45 a.m.; dispatched at 5. 10 p.m., on week-days only. Newent is the nearest money order and telegraph office.
British School – Enos Webb, master; Mrs. Mary Webb, sewing mistress.
Carriers Job Billingham, passes through from Taynton, Mon, Wed, and Sat; Joseph Fluck, from same place, Wed and Sat.
Source: Morris & Co.’s commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Newent
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Hereford, Post-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Forest
- Poor Law Union: Newent
- Hundred: Duchy of Lancaster
- Province: Canterbury