Tetbury is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Gloucestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Upton, Charlton, Doughton, and Elmstree.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin: 1631
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Irvingite/Catholic Apostolic Church, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Tetbury
- Sherston Magna with Sherston Parva
- Shipton Moyne
- Long Newnton
- Boxwell with Leighterton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
TETBURY, a small town, a parish, a sub-district, and a district, in Gloucester. The town stands on a rising-ground, 7 miles SSW of Tetbury-Road r. station, and 11 SW of Cirencester; is supposed to occupy the site of an ancient British strength, called Caer-Bladon; had anciently a monastic establishment, afterwards called Hacket-Court; is a seat of petty sessions; consists chiefly of four streets, meeting at a centre; and has a head post-office, a banking office, two chief inns, a town hall, a market house, a police station, an assembly-room at one of the inns, a parochial church of 1784 with old tower and spire, a chapel of ease built in 1848, four dissenting chapels, a literary institute with library and reading room, an endowed grammar-school with £360 a year, another endowed school with £60, alms-houses, a workhouse, charities £653, a weekly market on Wednesday, and six annual fairs. Pop. in 1861, 2,285. Houses, 491. The parish includes four tythings, and comprises 4,582 acres. Real property, £14,099; of which £60 are in gasworks. Pop., 3,274. Houses, 690. The manor belongs to a local charity. Elmstree house, Upton Grove, and the Priory are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol-Value, £1,000. Patron, Stanton, Esq. The sub-district contains 7 parishes. Acres, 16,259. Pop, 4,640. Houses, 974. The district includes also Didmarton sub-district, and comprises 25,641 acres. Poor rates in 1863, £2,441. Pop. in 1851, 6,254; in 1861, 6,110. Houses, 1,287. Marriages in 1863, 39; births, 164, of which 3 were illegitimate; deaths, 109, of which 33 were at ages under 5 years, and 4 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 423; births, 1,880; deaths, 1,130. The places of worship, in 1851, were 15 of the Church of England, with 3,521 sittings; 1 of Independents, with 240 s.; 2 of Baptists, with 450 s.; 1 of Wesleyans, with 144 s.; 2 undefined, with 460 s.: and 1 of Latter Day Saints, with 70 s. The schools were 11 public day-schools, with 545 scholars; 9 private day-schools, with 138 s.; and 15 Sunday schools, with 908 s.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Tetbury (St. Mary), a market-town and parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Longtree, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 20 miles (S. by E.) from Gloucester, and 99 (W. by N.) from London; containing 2982 inhabitants. The town is pleasantly situated on an eminence at the southern verge of the county, bordering on Wiltshire, and near the source of the river Avon, over which is a long bridge or causeway, leading into the main road to Malmesbury; it consists principally of a long street, crossed at right angles by two shorter ones, with a spacious market-house near one of the intersections. An act was obtained, in 1817, for paving and lighting the town, the expense of which was defrayed out of funds in the hands of trustees appointed in 1814, under an act for inclosing waste grounds ; and £1000 were also appropriated from the same source for the repair of the market-house. The poor are chiefly employed by woolstaplers, and the market was formerly noted for the sale of woollen-yarn, but the introduction of machinery has put an end to the trade. The market is on Wednesday ; and fairs are held on Ash-Wednesday, July 22nd, and November 10th, for corn, cheese, horses, and cattle. A bailiff and a constable are elected annually at the court leet of the feoffees of the manor; and petty-sessions for the town and hundred take place here, and at Horseley and Rodborough, Gloucestershire, alternately. The parish comprises 4384a. 1r. 7p.
The LIVING is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £36. 13. 4.; patrons, Trustees of Tetbury charity; appropriators, the Dean and Canons of Christ-Church, Oxford. The great tithes have been commuted for £240, and the vicarial for £800; there is a parsonage-house, and the glebe contains about 50 acres. The church, having been undermined by a flood in 1770, was, with the exception of the tower, which is surmounted by a fine modern spire, rebuilt in 1781, in the early English style, at an expense of £6000. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, and Wesleyans. A grammar school was endowed by Sir William Romney, a native of Tetbury, and an alderman and sheriff of London in the reign of James I., who bequeathed a lease for years of the weights of wool and yarn, tolls, and other profits within the town, with the proceeds of which lands have been purchased. A school is partly supported by an endowment of £30 per annum, bequeathed by Elizabeth Hodges, in 1723, and partly by subscription; and there is a national school.
In Maudlin meadow, which belongs to Magdalen College, Oxford, and is situated north of the town, is a petrifying spring, impregnated with calcareous earth. A castle is said to have been built here long before the invasion of Britain by the Romans ; and ancient British coins and fragments of weapons have been found within the area of a camp in the vicinity, of which all traces are now obliterated.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Tetbury Gell and Bradshaw Gloucestershire Directory 1820
Tetbury Universal British Directory 1791
Marriages at Tetbury 1631-1812
Tetbury Marriages 1810 to 1812
Tetbury Marriages 1805 to 1809
Tetbury Marriages 1800 to 1804
Tetbury Marriages 1799
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Tetbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Stonehouse
- Poor Law Union: Tetbury
- Hundred: Longtree
- Province: Canterbury