Temple Guiting Gloucestershire Family History Guide

Temple Guiting is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

Alternative names: Temple Guyting, Guiting Temple, Guyting Temple, or Upper Guyting

The parish includes also the hamlets of Ford, Kineton, and Barton, and part of the township of Pinnock and Hyde.

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin: 1647

Nonconformists include: Baptist

Table of Contents

Parishes adjacent to Temple Guiting

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Guyting Temple, or Upper Guyting, a village and a parish in Winchcomb district, Gloucester. The village stands among the Cotswolds, 6 miles E by S of Winchcomb, and 6 W by N of Stow-on-the-Wold r. station. The parish includes also the hamlets of Ford, Kineton, and Barton, and part of the township of Pinnock and Hyde. Post town, Lower Guyting, under Cheltenham. Acres, 6,180. Real property, £4,898. Pop., 584. Houses, 120. The manor belongs to Corpus Christi college, Cambridge, and is leased by the Misses Talbot. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £94. Patron, Christ Church, Oxford. The church consists of nave and chancel, with embattled tower. Charities, £8.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Guyting-Temple, or Upper Guyting, a parish in the lower division of the hund. of Kiftsgate, union of Winchcombe, county of Gloucester; 4 ¾ miles east of Winchcombe. Living, a perpetual curacy, formerly in the arcbd. and dio. ot Gloucester, now in the dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; valued at £20, returned at £80; gross income £94. Patrons, the dean and canons of Christ's-church, Oxford. Here are 4 daily schools. Charities, in 1821, £8 per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £212 3s. Acres 6,180. Houses 110. A. P. £4,479. Pop., in 1801, 301; in 1831, 520.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Guyting, Temple (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Winchcomb, Lower division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 5 miles (E. by S.) from Winchcomb; containing 523 inhabitants, and comprising 5700a. 3r. 20p. Stone is quarried chiefly for building purposes. There was a fulling-mill in the parish in the reign of Edward III, which is said to have been the first established in the county after the introduction of the cloth manufacture. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £94; patrons and appropriators, Dean and Canons of Christ-Church, Oxford. The tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents in 1804; there are 16 acres of glebe, and 12 acres in the parish of Chipping-Norton, purchased by grants from Queen Anne's Bounty, with a parsonage-house in good repair. The church, a small handsome edifice, with a fine lofty embattled tower at the west end, was probably built by the Knights Templars, who possessed the manor in the thirteenth century, and is in a state of preservation remarkable for its age. Schools on the national plan are partly supported by subscription.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Parish Records

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Marriages at Temple Guiting 1676 to 1771

The Marriages following are contained, mixed up with Baptisms and Burials, in a parchment volume, 13 inches by 6 inches, containing 62 pages.  The Volume is in fair condition, a little faded and damp stained in places.

Transcriptions

Marriages at Temple Guiting 1676 to 1771

Note. – The Marriages following are contained, mixed up with Baptisms and Burials, in a parchment volume, 13 inches by 6 inches, containing 62 pages.  The Volume is in fair condition, a little faded and damp stained in places.  It is headed –

A Register of the Weddings, Christenings, and Burialls in the Parish of Temple Guyting, Gloucestr, per me Samuelem Jefferis, clerum.

The Vicar states that the folio containing the Marriages between 1754 – 1812 is not in the chest, and is therefore missing.  The Marriages have been extracted by the Rev. J. H. Bloom, Rector of Whitchurch, and are printed under his supervision with the consent of the Rev. A. G. Lane, vicar.

Volume I.

John Williams, of ye Woodmill, & Sarah Neal, 21 Sept. 1676

John Febre & Margrett Woollams, of Kinton, 14 Nov. 1681

William End & Francis Smith, both of Hawlin, 6 Nov. 1681

John Roberts, of Aston-upon-Carron, & Margarett Adean, 10 Aug. 1682

George Straford, of Sudeley, gent., & Mrs. Margaret Beal, w., 8 July 1683

Thomas Cook, of Stanway, & Anne Stephens, 15 Apr. 1684

John Man, of ye Woodmill, & Mary Woollams, 20 May 1684

Thomas Blizzard & Elizabeth Smith, 19 Oct. 1686

Thomas Beale, of Hyde Farm, & Margarett Davis, of Seven Wells, Broadway, 30 Jan. 1686

John Poole, of Elston, & Sarah Randle, of Winston, 7 July 1695

Robert, s. of Thomas Haywood, of Broad Risington, & Mary, d. of William Compeare, 20 Aug. 1696

Jacob Farmer, of Campden, & Susannah Freeman, of Laverton, 31 Jan. 1696

Richard Lawrence, of Costlite, & Elizabeth Pearks, of Lower Guyting, 24 June 1697

Giles Turner & Judith Nicholls, 22 Aug. 1697

Richard Dunn, of Bengeworth, & Ann Hathaway, 6 Oct. 1697

Stephen Cull, of Bretforton, & [blank] Powell, 3 June 1698

William Baylis, of Fifield, & Elizabeth Phillips, 27 June 1698

John Clarke, of Snowshill, & Sarah Stanley, 23 Nov. 1700

Richard Beauchampe & Sarah Mansell, both of Condicot, 16 Dec. 1700

William Hill, of ye Woodmill, & Sarah Minchin, 1 Jan. 1700

William Lydit, of Didbrook, & Sarah Hill, of Charlton Abbots, 8 Feb. 1701

Robert Smith, of Sevenhampton, & Mary Read, 26 July 1701

William Timins & Sarah Penrin, 28 Oct. 1701

Charles Woollams & Mary Instone, 18 Oct. 1702

Anthony Marten & Leonora Locket, 29 Nov. 1702

Thomas Malin, of Elingstone-ardick, & Margaret Compeire, 13 Nov. 1704

Robert Davis & Mary Hale, of Sudeley, 31 Jan. 1704

William Baylis & Elizabeth Perault, 3 June 1705

Harry Tayler, of Charlton Abbots, & Mary Wood, of Alston, 2 May 1709

Robert Mason & Anne Tiffs, of Hayles, 2 Oct. 1709

John Cheshire & Mary Panter, of Hayles, 7 Oct. 1709

William Hull & Jone Russel, of Didbrook, 22 Oct. 1710

Giles Crips, of Winston, & Elizabeth Baylis, of Pinock, 13 Feb. 1710

John Stayte, of Hayles, & Anne Donne, of Greet, 2 Mar. 1710

John Somefild [Somerfield], of Winchcombe, & Ann Woollams, of Hayles, 24 Apr. 1711

John Harding & Jane Soul, 19 May 1711

Harry Wilkins, of Broadway, & Margaret Haughting, 6 Aug. 1711

Richard Gillet & Mary Mansell, 30 Sept. 1711

William Curtis, of Didbrook, & Mary Dark, of Moreton-in-Marsh, 27 Jan. 1711

John Hale & Mary Cull, of Kineton, 17 Feb. 1711

Thomas Moor, of Gloucester, & Mary Dean, 1 May 1712

Benjamin Wicksey & Hannah Chaundler, 30 Aug. 1713

Francis Somerfield, of Winchcombe, & Clara Lambert, of Hailes, 6 Oct. 1713

Ferdinando Cull, of Didbrook, & Alice Evans, of Stanton, 25 Oct. 1713

George Hemming, of Evesham, & Edith Beal of Hayles, 20 July 1714

John Alcocks & Martha Collett, 21 Oct. 1714

Benjamin Cary & Anne Hatheway, of Norleech, 29 Oct. 1714

Thomas Townsend & Mary Dulton, of Norleach, 9 Jan. 1714

Robert Chandler & Mary Taylor, 29 Sept. 1715

William Cadel & Mary Carpenter, of Hayles, 2 Oct. 1715

Thomas Gorton & Anne Dean, of Pinnock, 19 Jan. 1715

John Febre & Elnor Gorton, 17 Jan. 1716

John Muffet, of Bourton-on-ye-Hill, & Sarah Izod, 24 Mar. 1716

William Dowman & Mary Chandler, 5 Oct. 1718

William Bennet, of Ford, & Elizabeth Granger, of Cuts Dean, 13 Oct. 1718

Thomas Clark, of Ford, & Elizabeth Evens, of Stanton, 27 June 1718

John Baylis, of Didbrook, & Sarah Slatter, of Winchcombe, 26 May 1719

Thomas Everit, of Noneaton, & Jone Bokear, of Barton, 10 July 1719

Robert Alder, of Hardwick, co. Oxon, & Mary Locke, 27 Sept. 1719

Joseph Chandler & Ann Horwood, 31 Jan. 1719

Joseph Chandler & Mary Horwood, 9 June 1720

John Dance, w., of Childs, & Anne Tawney, of Labberton, 24 Nov. 1721

Francis Sandal, of Odington, & Anne White, of Blockley, 29 Nov. 1721

William Andrews, of Moreton-in-Marsh, & Katherine Pleyton, 25 Apr. 1721

John Taylor & Sarah Bishop, 8 Aug. 1723

Stephen Crescer & Naomi Creed, both of Charlton Kings, 6 Dec. 1725

Thomas Boulter & Mary Peirce, of Chedworth, 11 Apr. 1726

Thomas Phillips & Mary Newman, of Pinnock, 2 Oct. 1726

Henry Freeman & Sarah Cull, 2 Feb. 1726

John Clark, of Ford, & Mary Martin, of Greet, 4 Apr. 1727

John Botton, of Winchcombe, & Elizabeth Hanks, 24 May 1727

Thomas Dodwell, clerk, & Hester Baker, both of Longborough, 5 June 1727

Thomas Ingram, of Stow, & Ann Turner, 1 Mar. 1727

John Harwood & Mary Vicker, of Stroud, 20 Oct. 1730

Anthony Dobbings & Dennis Blisset, 30 Dec. 1732

John Wicket & Margaret Peart, 7 Oct. 1732

Henry Day & Jane Hobbs, 4 Aug. 1734

Joseph Hartwell & Ann Harbert, of Cambden, 5 Apr. 1735

John Woolams & Susanna Johnsons, 20 Sept. 1735

John Green & Elizabeth Smith, 17 Nov. 1735

Thomas Wood & Mary Proctor, 14 June 1735

Thomas Curtiss & Elizabeth Mauncell, 17 Oct. 1737

William Woodward, of Longborough, & Mary Smith, 17 Oct. 1737

Thomas Andrews, clerk, of Ebrington, & Elizabeth Hayward, 10 Nov. 1737

John Harris & Ann Layton, 3 Oct. 1739

John Masters, clerk, of Charlton Abbots, & Mary Winde, of Farmcote, m. at Hawling, 22 Sept. 1740

William Proctor & Mary Brookes, of Ford, 5 July 1741

William Williams & Ann Hart, 15 Apr. 1741

Benjamin Kilby & Mary Phillips, 29 Oct. 1741

Thomas Freeman & Mary Leonard, 28 Oct. 1741

Francis Barns & Elizabeth Tims, 2 Oct. 1741

John Pew & Ann Barns, 4 Oct. 1741

William Comb & Mary Spire, 2 Feb. 1741

William Cripps & Mary Hart, 17 Feb. 1741

John Minching & Elizabeth Gregory, 29 Sept. 1742

John Thursting & Ann Taylor, of Hailes, 29 Sept. 1742

John Alcock & Mary James, 1 Jan. 1744

Joseph Bellinger, of Laberton, & Anne Hopkins, of Barton, 1 Oct. 1745

Robert Freebury & Miriam Ansill, 4 Feb. 1745

Thomas Clifford & Elizabeth Gillett, 3 Apr. 1746

William Hopkins & Jane Garner, 29 Sept. 1746

Thomas Woodward & Ann Smith, 18 Oct. 1746

William Dowman & Elizabeth Boult, 28 Oct. 1746

Thomas Alcock & Elizabeth Smith, of Hasilton, 11 Nov. 1746

William Burnett, of Ford, & Sarah Barton, 23 Dec. 1746

Thomas Brooks, of Wormington & Sarah Gersain, 1 Jan. 1747

Richard Thorey, of Broadway, & Ann Mason, of Ford, 11 May 1747

Richard Stayt & Mary Dowman, 2 Feb. 1748

Matthew Gardiner & Sarah Barnes, 22 May 1749

John Gillet & Joan Williams, 8 Oct. 1750

William Hopkins & Mary Gardiner, 29 June 1751

Richard Taylor & Mary Brooks, 1 Nov. 1751

Benjamin James & Elizabeth Alcocks, 25 May 1752

John Morris & Anne Procter, 28 Dec. 1752

Jacob Wood, of Shipston, & Ann Phillips, lic., 9 Jan. 1771

John Humphries & Esther Mustin, 22 Jan. 1771

[As will be seen from the prefaratory [sic] note, the Volume containing the Marriages from 1771 to 1812 is no longer to be found.]

Source: Gloucestershire Parish Register. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol IV. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 36, Essex Street, Strand, London. 1898.

Directories

Temple Guiting Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1863

Guiting (or Guyting) Temple, or Upper Guyting, is a parish and village, 5 miles east-south-east from Winchcomb, and 2 north-east from Guiting Power, in the lower division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, union and county court district of Winchcomb, rural deanery of Stour, archdeaconry of Gloucester, and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol. The church of St. Helen has a chancel, nave, castellated tower, 4 bells, clock and organ. The register dates from 1603.

The living is a perpetual curacy, annual value £94, with residence and 28 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Christ Church, Oxford; the Rev. Edward Du Pre, B.A., of Queen's College, Cambridge, is the incumbent. There are day and Sunday schools. The population in 1861 was 573: the soil is loam, with stony subsoil. There are charities of £9 yearly value for apprenticing boys and girls; also 28 acres of land, the rent for which is distributed yearly in coals. The manor belongs to Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. The Hon. Misses Talbot are leaseholders under Corpus Christi College, and impropriators of the tithes, the value of which is £1,400 per annum.

Ford, Kineton and Barton, are hamlets in this parish.

Guiting Temple.

Du Pre Rev. Edward, B.A

Talbot Hon. Missis, Temple Guiting ho

Alcock John, farmer, Manor farm

Andrews George, farmer, Ford

Andrews William, shopkeeper

Boulton Thomas, shoemaker, Ford

Fardon James, blacksmith

Fox George, Plough

Finch Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Benborough farm

Groves William, farmer, Barton

Hanks Robert, farmer, Barton

Lane Henry, farmer, Trafalgar farm

Owen Thomas, Red Lion, Ford

Owen William Ayliffe, carpenter, Ford

Smith William C. farmer

Staite George & Henry, farmers, Ford

West William, farmer

Kineton

Bradford John, shopkeeper & shoemakr

Clark John, butcher & farmer

Dowdeswell William, farmer & maltster

Hamblett Thomas, Halfway inn

Hewer James, farmer

Joynes William, shopkeeper

Lane Robert, farmer

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.

Temple Guiting Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856

Guiting (or Guyting) Temple, or Upper Guyting, is a parish and village, 5 miles east-south-east from Winchcomb and 2 north-east from Guiting Power.  The living is a perpetual curacy, worth £90 per annum, in the gift of Christ Church, Oxford; the Rev. Edward Dupre is incumbent.

Gentry
Dupre Rev. Edward, B.A.
Smith Mrs. Barton house
Talbot Hon. Misses, Temple Guiting ho

Traders
Alcock John, farmer, Manor farm
Andrews William, shopkeeper & farmer
Fardon Moses, blacksmith
Finch Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Benborough farm
Groves Robert, farmer, Barton
Hanks Robert, farmer, Barton
Kilby John, farmer, Barton hill farm
Lane Henry, farmer, Trafalgar farm
Smith Charles, farmer
Smith William C. farmer
West William, farmer
Wood William, farmer

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol.  Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Winchcomb
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 - Gloucester
  • Rural Deanery: Stow
  • Poor Law Union: Winchcombe
  • Hundred: Kiftsgate
  • Province: Canterbury