Taynton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish church: St. Lawrence
Parish registers begin: 1538
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Taynton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
TAYNTON, a parish in Newent district, Gloucester; 2½ miles SSE of Newent, and 4 ENE of Mitcheldean-Road r. station. Post town, Gloucester. Acres, 2,501. Real property, £4,352. Pop., 689. Houses, 141. The property is much subdivided. T. House is the residence of B. Atherton, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £450. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester. The church was restored in 1866. There are a national school, and charities £24.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
TAYNTON (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Newent, hundred of Botloe, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 3½ miles (S.S.E.) from Newent; containing 634 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 6. 8. ; net income, £321 ; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester. The church was rebuilt during the usurpation of Cromwell, by an ordinance passed in January 1647. William Guilding bequeathed the interest of £100 for apprenticing children.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Newent
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Hereford, Post-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 - Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Forest
- Poor Law Union: Newent
- Hundred: Botloe
- Province: Canterbury