Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1686
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1578
Parishes adjacent to Syde
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SIDE, or Syde, a parish in Cirencester district, Gloucester; 7½ miles NW by N of Cirencester r. station. Post town, Winstone, under Cirencester. Acres, 614. Real property, £886. Pop., 55. Houses, 11. The manor belongs to J. Hall, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of G1oncester and Bristol. Value, £126. Patron, J. Hall, Esq. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Side or Syde Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876
Syde Marriages General Information
Marriages at Syde 1686 to 1812
Note. – Syde is said to be the smallest parish in the Diocese of Gloucester. This will readily be believed when it is stated that the whole number of Marriages recorded between 1686 and 1812 amounts to only 24, and that the entries of all kinds to 1812 are contained in one small volume.
This single volume is headed :- “A new Register Booke for the parishe of Side. Bought by us, John Turner and Thomas Webbe, Churchwardens, Anno Dom. 1685.”
As Syde was frequently held in plurality, some of the Marriage entries would doubtless be found in the Registers of neighbouring parishes.
The Marriage entries have been extracted by Rev. W. Symonds, M.A., and are printed with the sanction of the Rev. R. L. Crawley-Boevey, M.A., the Rector.
Source: Gloucestershire Parish Register. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol. XII. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1906.
Syde Marriages 1686 to 1812
Civil Registration District: Cirencester
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
Rural Deanery: Stonehouse
Poor Law Union: Cirencester