Stroud, Gloucestershire Family History Guide

Stroud is an Ecclesiastical Parish and a market town in the county of Gloucestershire, created in 1723 from Bisley Parish.

Other places in the parish include: Steanbridge, Paganhill, Lower Lyppiatt, Upper Lyppiatt.

Parish church: St. Laurence

Parish registers begin: 1624

Nonconformists include: Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Trade: Cloth and woollen goods

Parishes adjacent to Stroud

Parish History

Stroud

BEETON'S BRITISH GAZETTEER 1870

Stroud, a parliamentary borough and market and post town of England, in Gloucestershire, situated near the confluence of the Frome, or Stroud, and the Sladewater, 9 miles S. E. from Gloucester. The town has been much improved during the present century, and contains many good streets and well built houses. It has two churches, several chapels for nonconformists, and a dispensary. Manf. Cloth and woollen goods. The waters of the Stroud and Slade possess peculiar properties, which render them of great use in dyeing cloth of all colours, and more especially scarlet. Mar. D. Fri. Pop. of parl. bor. 35,517. It is a telegraph station, and a station on the Swindon, Gloucester, and South Wales branch of the Great Western Railway.

Source: Beeton's British Gazetteer 1870. Ward, Lock & Tyler, Paternoster Row, London.

THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND & WALES 1870

Stroud, market town and par. with ry. sta., Gloucestershire, on the Thames and Severn Canal, adjacent to the Frome and the Slade, 9 miles S. of Gloucester - par., 3731 ac., pop. 11,112; town, 999 ac., pop. 7848; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-day, Friday. Stroud is mainly built on the side of a steep declivity in a valley sheltered by the Cotswolds, and has a picturesque aspect. The chief interest of the place, however, centres in its cloth factories, which have associated with them dyeworks, the water being peculiarly suited for such operations. Stroud was a parliamentary borough and sent 2 members to Parliament from 1832 until 1885; the parliamentary limits included all Stroud parish, 12 other parishes, and a part.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

THE PARLIAMENTARY GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1851

Stroud, a parish, borough, and market-town, in the hund. of Bisley, union of Stroud, county of Gloucester; 9 miles south-south-east of Gloucester, and 27 north-east of Bristol, in the line of the Great Western railway, and the Thames and Severn canal. Acres 3,990. Houses 1,746. A.P. £12,215. Pop., in 1801, 5,422; in 1831, 8,607. Living, a perpetual curacy with the curacy of Trinity annexed, formerly in the archd. and dio. of Gloucester, now in the dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; certified at £17 5s., returned at £85 4s. 6d.; gross income £136. Patron, the bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. In 1838, a new church, with 1,000 sittings, was erected in the early English style. At Whiteshill, a district church has recently been built, towards the endowment of which the Rev. Dr. Warneford contributed £500. The situation is one of great beauty, and commands an extensive prospect of the lovely valleys which surround this fine neighbourhood. The building, which is capable of accommodating 600 persons, is in the Norman style, after a design by Thomas Foster, Esq., of Bristol, — the architect of Trinity church, and of the church lately completed at Brimscombe. Stroud also possesses several dissenting churches. The Independent church was formed in 1711; the Wesleyan Methodist in 1763; the Baptist in 1825; and there are 10 daily, 2 day and boarding, 2 day and Sunday, and 11 Sunday, schools. Charities, in 1825, produced £570 4s. 8d. per annum, of which about, £260 were applied to parochial, and £110 to educational, purposes. Poor rates, in 1838, £1,605 11s. The Stroud poor-law union comprehends 15 parishes, embracing an area of 63 square miles; with a population returned, in 1831, at 40,767. The average annual expenditure for relief, &c, of the poor of this district, during the three years preceding the formation of the union, was £12,765. Expenditure, in 1838, £12,334; in 1840, £13,318 15s.

The town stands upon an eminence in the midst of a country singularly beautiful and romantic, near the confluence of the Frome and the Slade. It contains many handsome houses, and is well supplied with water. Stroud has long been famous as the centre of the woollen manufacture in Gloucester, and owes its superiority to the water of the Frome or Stroud, which is said to have a peculiar property for fixing scarlet and other grain colours. The banks of the river are, in consequence, covered with dyeing establishments, fulling-mills, &c. In 1838, 14 woollen-mills here employed 1,299 hands, but trade was considerably depressed. Of late years the town has been greatly improved. The market is on Friday; and there are fairs on May 10th and August 21st, for cattle, sheep, and pigs. Here is a branch of the Gloucestershire banking company. The petty-sessions for the hundred are held here on the first and third Fridays of every month. The Reform act has conferred the privilege of returning two members to parliament on this town, in conjunction with the several parishes of Stroud, Bisley, Painswick, Pitchcomb, Randwick, Stonehouse, Leonard-Stanley, King's-Stanley, Rodborough, Minchinhampton, Woodchester, Avening, and Horsley, except that part of the parish of Leonard-Stanley which is called Lorridge's Farm, and is surrounded by the parish of Berkley. Stroud is a polling-place in the election of members for the eastern division of the county.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

A TOPOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF GREAT BRITAIN AND IRELAND 1833

Stroud, co. Gloucester.

London 101 m. W b N. Pop. 7097. M. D. Fri. Fairs, May 10 and Aug. 21, for cattle, sheep, and pigs.

A market-town and parish in the hundred of Bisley, situated on an eminence near the confluence of the river Frome, and the Slade Water. It may be considered as the centre of the clothing manufacture in this part of the country. Its water is celebrated for the dyeing of scarlet and other grain colours, on which account the clothing trade has been extended for upwards of twenty miles along the river, on the banks of which are numerous fulling-mills. The Severn Canal passes this town to Cirencester, and joins the Thames at Lechlade. The scenery of this district is very beautiful, though the steep acclivity and irregularity of the ground render the roads fatiguing to travellers. The living, which was formerly subordinate to the vicarage of Bisley, is now a distinct curacy in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, of the certified value of 17l. 5s.; ann. val. P. R. 85l. 4s. 6d.; patron, the Bishop of Gloucester. The church, which is ded. to St. Laurence, has been erected and repaired at different periods, and consists of a nave, chancel, and side aisles, with a tower and spire at the west end. Here are various meeting-houses, particular Baptists and Independent and Wesleyan Methodists; also an endowed freeschool, and several charity-schools. The petty sessions for Bisley district are holden here. John Canton, the natural philosopher, and Dr. White, professor of Arabic at Oxford, were natives of this place.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. III; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Lyppiatt

THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND & WALES 1870

LYPPIATT (LOWER and UPPER), two tythings in Stroud parish, Gloucester; near the canal and the Great Western railway, 2 miles E of Stroud. Pop., 1,276 and 4,061. Lyppiatt Park belonged formerly to the Throgmortons; belongs now to J. E. Dorington, Esq.; and is said to have been the place where the Gunpowder plot was hatched.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Paganhill

Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Paganhill, a hamlet in Whiteshill chapelry, Stroud parish, Gloucester; 1 mile from Stroud r. station. It has a post-office under Stroud.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].

Steanbridge

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Steanbridge, a tything, in the parish and union of Stroud, hundred of Bisley, E. division of the county of Gloucester; containing 1395 inhabitants.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Bankrupts

Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.

Baghott Sir Paul, Knt., Lypiatt park, Stroud, Gloucestershire, banker and clothier, June 19, 1821.

Burnett John, Stroud, Gloucestershire, innkeeper, June 20, 1828.

Crutchett James, Stroud, Gloucestershire, pawnbroker, Aug. 17, 1841.

Faulkes Thomas, Bowbridge, Gloucestershire, grocer, Feb. 2, 1838.

Fisher Joseph, jun., Stroud, Gloucestershire, woollen draper, Feb. 23, 1838.

Gingell Geoŕge, Stroud, Gloucestershire, victualler, June 12, 1832.

Guy William Henry, Stroud, Gloucestershire, woollen draper, Nov. 17, 1835.

Keene Robert, Stroud, Gloucestershire, victualler, June 3. 1828.

Kendrick Charles Freebury, Stroud, Gloucestershire, maltster‚ Мау 19, 1829.

Miles George, Stroud, Gloucestershire, clothier, Jan. 23, 1835.

Morgan James, Stroud, Gloucestershire, linen draper, May 19, 1821.

Osborne Thomas, Stroud, Gloucestershire, linen draper, Feb. 10, 1825.

Shipway Thomas, Stroud, Gloucestershire, clothier, June 28, 1839.

Smith Thomas, Stroud, Gloucestershire, earthenware dealer, Feb. 3, 1835. 

Webb James, Stroud, Gloucestershire, draper, June 5, 1827.

Woolrich Richard, Stroud, Gloucestershire, linen draper, Jan. 8, 1839.

The London Gazette

Discharge of Prisoners

The people listed below were discharged as a prisoners in the debtors prison.

Henry Merrick Elderton formerly of York cottage Waterlane Brixton Surrey Attorney and Solicitor having offices in Clement's lane in the city of London then of the Neckinger Bermondsey Surrey then of Wandsworth-common Surrey then of Grange lodge Abbey road Saint John's wood Middlesex Attorney and Solicitor having offices in Clement's lane in the said city of London in copartnership with Robert Phillott as Attornies and Solicitors then in lodgings near the Bricklayers Arms in Old Kent road Surrey then of No 8 Trafalgar-terrace Greenwich Kent then of North bank Saint John's wood Middlesex then of Lodge place Saint John's wood Middlesex then of Hartleford place Vauxhall Surrey then of South Island place Wandsworth-road Surrey then of No 8 Holland place Clapham road Surrey then of No 8 Holland place Clapham road Surrey aforesaid then of Dairy Farm Eden-bridge Kent then of King's street Bloomsbury Middlesex Experimental Engineer and Draughtsman having a Workshop at the Lawn South Lambeth Vauxhall Surrey then of Abbey place Saint John's wood Middlesex aforesaid Draughtsman then of Hill house Stroud Gloucestershire then of Thomas street Cirencester Gloucestershire aforesaid and late of The Cranhams near Cirencester aforesaid Editor and Manager of the Wilts and Gloucestershire Standard Newspaper published at Cirencester aforesaid - 27 February 1851 - The London Gazette

Parish Records

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Historical Newspapers

The following newspapers cover the area.

Gloucestershire Newspapers

Cheltenham Chronicle (The British Newspaper Archive)

Cheltenham Examiner (The British Newspaper Archive)

Cheltenham Journal and Gloucestershire Fashionable Weekly Gazette (The British Newspaper Archive)

Cheltenham Looker-On (The British Newspaper Archive)

Cheltenham Mercury (The British Newspaper Archive)

Cirencester Times and Cotswold Advertiser (The British Newspaper Archive)

Gloucester Citizen (The British Newspaper Archive)

Gloucester Journal (The British Newspaper Archive)

Gloucestershire Chronicle (The British Newspaper Archive)

Gloucestershire Echo (The British Newspaper Archive)

Stroud Journal (The British Newspaper Archive)

Stroud News and Gloucestershire Advertiser (The British Newspaper Archive)

Tewkesbury Register, and Agricultural Gazette., The (The British Newspaper Archive)

Wilts and Gloucestershire Standard (The British Newspaper Archive)

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Stroud
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Stonehouse
  • Poor Law Union: Stroud
  • Hundred: Bisley
  • Province: Canterbury