Stow-on-the-Wold is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Gloucestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Maugersbury, Mangersbury, Donnington, and Manersbury.
Alternative names: Stow on the Wold
Parish church: St. Edward
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1610
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Particular Baptist, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Lower Swell
- Upper Swell
- Wyck Rissington
- Lower Slaughter
- Upper Slaughter
Historical Descriptions of Stow-on-the-Wold
THE IMPERIAL GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND & WALES 1870
STOW-ON-THE-WOLD, a small town, a parish, a sub-district, and a district, in Gloucester. The town stands on the Fosse way, on the summit of a hill, 1 mile N of the Bourton-on-the-Water railway, and 4¼ SSW of Moreton-in-the-Marsh; is irregularly built; commands extensive views; is a seat of petty sessions and county-courts, and a polling place; and has a post-office under Moreton-in-the-Marsh, a r. station with telegraph, a banking office, a hotel, a police-office, a public reading room, an ancient church, three dissenting chapels, a grammar-school and alms houses with £39 a year from endowment, other charities £137, a workhouse, a weekly market on Thursday, and fairs on 12 May and 24 Oct. The parish includes the hamlets of Donnington and Mangersbury, and comprises 3,130 acres. Real property, £8,612. Pop. in 1851, 2,250; in 1861, 2,077. Houses, 463. The manor belonged formerly to Evesham abbey; and, with Mangersbury House, belongs now to J. Chamberlayne, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £525. Patron, the Rev. R. W. Hippisley. The sub-district contains 11 parishes. Acres, 18,094. Pop., 5,063. The district includes Bourton-on-the-Water sub-district, and comprises 41,131 acres. Poor rates in 1863, £5,286. Pop. in 1851, 9,932; in 1861, 9,687. Houses, 2,181. Marriages in 1863,59; births, 316, of which 21 were illegitimate; deaths, 230, of which 88 were at ages under 5 years, and 6 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 643; births, 2,892; deaths, 1,813. The places of worship, in 1851, were 23 of the Church of England, with 5,256 sittings; 2 of Independents, with 195 s.; 8 of Baptists, with 1,395 s.; 1 of Quakers, the s. not reported; and 7 of Wesleyans, with 572 s. The schools were 19 public day-schools, with 973 scholars; 13 private day-schools, with 212 s.; and 27 Sunday-schools, with 1,193 s.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
LEONARD’S GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1850
Stow-on-the-Wold, 83 miles S.W. London. Mrkt. Thurs. P. 2140
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
A TOPOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF GREAT BRITAIN AND IRELAND 1833
Stow-On-The-Wold, or Stow St. Edward, co. Gloucester.
London 86 m. WNW. Pop. 1731. M. D. Thurs. Fairs, March 29 and May 12, for horses, cows, sheep, and cheese; July 24, for ditto; Oct. 24, for hops, ironmonger's wares, &c.
A small market-town and parish in the upper division of the hundred of Slaughter, situated on the summit of a high hill, in a very bleak part of the country. The streets are irregularly built and indifferently paved. The manufacture of shoes formerly constituted the principal employment of the inhabitants, but it has declined, and there is now a small branch of the clothing trade carried on. The town, which was formerly a corporation, is governed by two bailiffs, and the petty sessions and court-leet for Stow or Kiftsgate district are holden here. The living is a rectory in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester; valued in K. B. 18l.; patron (1829) the Rev. H. Hippesley. The church, which is ded. to St. Edward, appears to have been built at different periods, and consists of a nave, chancel, and aisles, with an embattled tower on the south side eighty-one feet high, the interior contains several ancient monuments. Here are almshouses for nine poor persons, a free-school, and an hospital. The foss-way passes this town. During the civil war a battle took place here between the Royalist and Parliamentary forces, which ended in the defeat of the former.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. III; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
THE PARLIAMENTARY GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1851
Donnington, a hamlet in the parish of Stow-on-the-Wold, county of Gloucester; 1½ mile north of Stow-on-the-Wold. At this place the royalists were defeated by Colonel Morgan in 1645. Acres 760. Houses 47. A. P. £1,501. Pop., in 1801, 162; in 1831, 200. Poor rates, in 1837, £66.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Mangersbury, or Maugersbury, co. Gloucester.
P. T. Stow-on-the-Wold (86) 1 m. SSE. Pop. 226.
A hamlet in the parish of Stow-on-the-Wold and upper division of the hundred of Slaughter.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
People from Stow-On-The-Wold, Gloucestershire can be found in the following records.
Birth, Marriage, & Death Records
Probate & Court Records
Marriages Out of Parish
|Surname||Forename||Parish Married in||Date|
|Hambidge||John||Westcote||10 Feb. 1807|
Stow-On-The-Wold Universal British Directory 1791
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Stow on the Wold
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Stow
- Poor Law Union: Stow on the Wold
- Hundred: Slaughter
- Province: Canterbury