Stoke Gifford is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish registers begin: 1556
Parishes adjacent to Stoke Gifford
- Frampton Cotterell
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Stoke-Giffard, a parish in the upper division of the hund. of Henbury, union of Clifton, county of Gloucester; 5 miles north-north-east of Bristol. Living, a discharged vicarage, formerly in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Bristol, now in the dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £6, returned at £140; gross income £60. Patron, in 1841, the Duke of Beaufort. Here are 3 daily schools. Charities, in 1827, £37 3s. 8d. per annum, part of which was paid to the parishes of Winterborne, Filton, and Aldmondsbury. Poor rates, in 1838, £212 7s. Acres 2,070. Houses 78. A.P. £2,880. Pop., in 1801. 281; in 1831, 4411).
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
England’s Gazetteer 1752
Stoke-Giffard, (Gloc.) on the r. Frome, to the W. of Pucklechurch, is a p. 25 m. in com. and bel. heretofore to the Giffards of Brimesfield, till forfeited by treason to Edw. II. who gave it to Maurice de Berkeley. One part of the p. buries at Winterborn, the other at Almondsbury. Great-Stoke, Little-Stoke, and Harris-Stoke are 3 hamlets of this p.
Source: England’s Gazetteer; Stephen Whatley; 1752.
Stoke Gifford Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876
Stoke Gifford is a village and parish in Clifton union, containing, by the census of 1861, 445 inhabitants, and in 1871, 430 inhabitants, and 2277 acres; in the deanery and archdeaconry of Bristol, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, hundred of Barton Regis, West Gloucestershire; near to the Patchway Stalin on the Bristol and South Wales Railway, 4 ½ miles north-west from Mangotsfield Station on the Midland Railway, 6 north from Bristol, 7 west from Chipping Sodbury, 16 north-west from Bath, and 115 from London. The vicarage in the incumbency of the Rev. Newman Tibbits, B.A., is valued at £60 per annum, and is in the patronage of the Duke of Beaufort, who is lord of the manor and chief owner of the soil. The church is an ancient Gothic edifice, dedicated to St. Michael, consisting of nave and aisle, with tower containing three bells. There is a school for children of both sexes, supported by subscription and the children’s pence. The poor have charitable bequests producing £12 per annum.
Carpenter Miss Hannah
Trades and Professions
Andrews The Misses, farmers, Harry Stoke farm
Cam Francis, wheelwright, carpenter, and undertaker
Combes Alfred, shoemaker
Iles Thomas, blacksmith
Limbrick George, shopkeeper
Limbrick Richard, yeoman, Knight Wood farm
Nippruss Miss Jane, shopkeeper
Parnell Alfred, farmer, Wall’s Court farm
Parker Joseph, yeoman, Court farm
Parker Thomas, yeoman, Cold Harbor farm
Parker William, beer retailer
Powell Grace, “Portcullis”
Wilcox Benjamin, yeoman, Little Stoke farm
Witchell Mrs. Mary, farmer
Witchell Sydney Bennett, farmer
Wall Letter Box – Cleared at 3. 30 p.m., and on Sundays at 8.45 a.m. Bristol is the post town, and Upper Stapleton the nearest money order office.
National School – Miss Griffiths, mistress
Source: Morris & Co.’s commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Clifton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Bristol (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Bristol
- Poor Law Union: Clifton
- Hundred: Henbury
- Province: Canterbury