Stapleton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish registers begin: 1720
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Primitive Methodist, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Reform.
Parishes adjacent to Stapleton
- Bristol St Werburgh
- Stoke Gifford
- Two Mile Hill
- Easton St Mark
- Bristol St George
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
STAPLETON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Clifton district, Gloucester. The village stands midway between the Bristol and Gloucester and the Bristol and South Wales Union railways, 2 miles NE of Bristol; and has a post-office under Bristol. The parish comprises 2,554 acres. Real property, £11,914; of which £258 are in mines, and £155 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 4,840; in 1861, 5,355, of whom 515 were in Clifton workhouse, 845 in Bristol workhouse, and 154 in Bristol lunatic asylum. Houses, 796. There are numerous good residences. A pa1ace for the Bishops of Gloucester and Bristol was built in 1840, and is now a charity school for 120 boys. The living is a p. curacy, united with Fishponds chapelry, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £190. Patron, Sir J. H. G. Smyth, Bart. The church was built in 1856; and is in the decorated style, with tower and lofty spire. A section, with a pop. of 546, is in Easton chapelry. There are a diocesan training school, three national schools, and charities £69. Hannah More was a native. The sub-district contains four parishes. Acres, 8,819. Pop., 9,184. Houses, 1,653.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Stapleton, 3m. N.E. Bristol. P. 3944
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Emett John, Stapleton, Gloucestershire, corn factor, Nov. 6, 1832.
Hopkins Charles, Stapleton, Gloucestershire, miller, June 15, 1841
Milsom Charles, Stapleton, Gloucestershire, victualler, Dec. 30, 1836.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Clifton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Bristol (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Bristol
- Poor Law Union: Clifton
- Hundred: Barton Regis
- Province: Canterbury