Stanton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish church: St. Bartholomew; St Michael and All Angels
Parish registers begin: 1735
Nonconformists include: Baptist
Parishes adjacent to Stanton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Stanton, a parish, with a village, in Winchcomb district, Gloucester; 7½ miles SSE of Evesham r. station. Post town, Winchcomb, under Cheltenham. Acres, 1,650. Real property, £2,095. Pop. 280. Houses, 66. The manor belongs to J. W. Wynniatt, Esq. The living is a rectory, united with Snowshill, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £377. Patron, the Rev. W. H. Bloxsome. The church is old. There are a Baptist chapel and a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831
STANTON, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of KIFTSGATE, county of GLOUCESTER, 4¾ miles (N. E. by N.) from Winchcombe, containing 269 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, with the perpetual curacy of Snowshill annexed, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £17. 11. 5½., and in the patronage of the Rev. R. Wynniatt. The church is dedicated to St. Bartholomew. The navigable river Wye bounds the parish on the north, and the Monmouth railway passes on the south.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
Marriages at Stanton 1572 to 1812
Gloucestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol IV. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Blagg, Thomas Matthews
Note. – The Marriage Registers of Stanton from 1572-1812 are contained in three volumes. The oldest is of parchment, and is in very good condition. The entries in it are from 1572-1754. The second volume contains those from 1755-1768, and is also of parchment; the third contains those from 1769-1812. The oldest book measures about 13 by 6, and has a separate section for the Marriages, Baptisms, and Burials at Snowshill. The Marriages have been extracted by the Rev. J. Harvey Bloom, Rector of Whitchurch, and are printed under his supervision, with the consent of the Rev. M. B. Harris Burland, Rector.
Stanton Marriages 1769 to 1812
Stanton Marriages 1755 to 1772
Stanton Marriages 1700 to 1754
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Winchcomb
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Campden
- Poor Law Union: Winchcombe
- Hundred: Kiftsgate
- Province: Canterbury