St Mary de Lode Gloucester, Gloucestershire Family History Guide

Gloucester St Mary de Lode is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

Other places in the parish include: The Island, Longford, Kingsholme St Mary, Gloucester St Barnabas, Gloucester Holy Trinity, Longford St Mary, Barton St Mary, Wotton St Mary Without, Wotton St Mary, Tuffley, St Mary Kingsholme, and Gloucester Barton St Mary.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1675; Separate registers exist for Gloucester Holy Trinity: 1557

Nonconformists include: Countess of Huntingdon Methodist, Independent/Congregational, and Plymouth Brethren.

Parishes adjacent to St. Mary de Lode, Gloucester

Historical Descriptions

Barton St. Mary

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Barton, St. Mary, a hamlet in the parish of St. Mary de Lode, county of Gloucester. Pop., in 1801, 412, in 1831, 786. Houses 165. Acres, including Tuffley, 1,470. A.P. £1,555. Poor rates, in 1837, £254

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Barton (St. Mary), adjoining Gloucester. P. 1651

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Barton Street

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Barton-Street, a hamlet in the parish of St. Mary de Lode and St. Michael, county of Gloucester, adjacent to the eastern gate of the city of Gloucester. Pop., in 1801, 412; in 1831, 786.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851

Longford St. Mary

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Longford (St. Mary), nearly adjoining Longford St. Catherine. P. 239

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1848

Longford St. Mary, a hamlet in the parish of St. Mary de Lode, county of Gloucester; 3 miles north-east of Bath. Acres 1,290. Houses 31. Pop., in 1811, 82; in 1831, 178. Poor rates, in 1838, £53 16s.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1848.

Kingsholme

A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Kingsholme, co. Gloucester.

P. T. Gloucester (104) adjacent. Pop. with Pa.

A hamlet, partly in the parish of St. Catherine, and partly in the parish of St. Mary-de-Load and middle division of the hundred of Dudstone and King's Barton.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Tuffley

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Tuffley, 2 miles S. S. W. Gloucester. P. 107

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Wootton

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Wootton, a hamlet in the parish of St. Mary de Lode, Gloucester, and upper division of the hund, of Dudstone and King's-Barton, union and county of Gloucester; adjacent to the city of Gloucester. Acres 260. Houses 70. A. P. £2,300. Pop., in 1801, 156; in 1831, 804. Poor rates, in 1838, £86 4s.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Poll Books

Barton St. Mary Poll Book 1834 - Google Books

Longford St. Mary Poll Book 1834 - Google Books

Tuffley Poll Book 1834 - Google Books

Wootton Poll Book 1834 - Google Books

Directories

Tuffley or Tuffleigh Gloucestershire 1876

Tuffley (or Tuffleigh), is a small hamlet of the parish of Saint Mary-de-lode, Gloucester, in Gloucester union, containing by the census of 1861, 138, and in 1871, 196 inhabitants, and 765 acres ; in the deanery and archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, East Gloucestershire ; 2 miles south from the city, on the road from thence to Stroud. A chapel-of-ease has recently been erected here, in which divine service is celebrated every Sunday by the Rev. Henry Charles Minchin, M.A., vicar of St. Mary-de-lode, Gloucester. The rateable value of this parish is £4130.

Clergy and Gentry.
Brown Alfred, Esq., Oak bank
Brown Richard Gopsill, Esq., Elmhurst
Coleman Mr. Edward
Cooksey Mr. Charles Frederick, Tuffley lawn
Niblett John Daniel Thomas, Esq., J.P., Stanforth
Savory Mr. Paul Haines, Tuffley lawn
Whitcombe George, Esq., Tuffley knoll

Trades and Professions.
Barnard Thomas, dairyman
Buckle Walter, farmer
Cole Alban, carpenter and wheelwright, "New" inn
Dymock George, assistant overseer
Dymock William, farmer, Lower Tuffley
Mousell Henry, farmer, Tuffley court
Rea Edwin, butcher
Taylor Benjamin, farmer, Lower Tuffley
Townsend John, farmer

Letters through Gloucester delivered at 8 a.m. Box cleared at 4.35 p.m. on weekdays, and on Sundays at 11.5 a.m.

Source: Morris & Co.’s commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Gloucester
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Gloucester
  • Poor Law Union: Gloucester
  • Hundred: Dudstone and King's Barton; Gloucester City
  • Province: Canterbury