Southrop is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin: 1656
Table of Contents
Parishes adjacent to Southrop
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SOUTHROP, a parish, with a village, in Northleach district, Gloucester; 3 miles NNW of Lechlade, and 12 S by E of Bourton-on-the-Water r. station. Post town, Lechlade, under Swindon. Acres, 1,453. Real property, £2,407. Pop., 362. Houses, 79. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £210. Patron, Wadham College, Oxford. The church is Norman and early English, and was repaired in 1852. There are a parochial school, and charities £7.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Southrop Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856
Southrop is a township, village and parish, 3 ½ miles from Lechlade, in the Hundred of Brightwells Barrow, Northleach Union, and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol. The church of St. Peter was repaired about 1852; it comprises, in its styles of architecture, the Norman and early English. The Rev. Joseph Walker, M.A., is the incumbent. The living is a vicarage, of the annual value of about £210, in the gift of the Warden and Fellows of Wadham College, Oxford, who are also lords of the manor. The charities amount to £6 14s. per annum. The population, in 1851, was 425. Here is a Parochial school for the instruction of the children of the inhabitants. The acreage of the parish, 1,427; glebe, 54 acres.
Green Mr. Robert
Smith Charles, esq. J.P.
Walker Rev. Jsph. M.A. [vicar], Vicarage
Baxter Richd., shopkeeper & beer retailer
Cull Jonathan, boot & shoe maker
Jefferies Thomas, blacksmith
Lawrence Elijah, grocer & draper
Miller Henry, carpenter & wheelwright
Miller James, carpenter & wheelwright
Newman George, land surveyor
Newman John, miller
Parker Richard, stonemason
Pinnock William, baker
Rawlings William, ‘Swan’
Letters through Lechlade, which is also the nearest money order office.
Carrier – William Pinnock, to Cirencester, on Monday
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.
Marriages at Southrop 1656-1837
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Northleach
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 - Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Fairford
- Poor Law Union: Northleach
- Hundred: Brightwells Barrow
- Province: Canterbury