Slimbridge

Photo of Slimbridge (Glos) St John. by ChurchCrawler, some rights reserved.

Slimbridge Gloucestershire Family History

Slimbridge is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

Parish church: St John the Evangelist

Parish registers begin: 1635

Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Slimbridge

  • Breadstone
  • Berkeley
  • Cam
  • Frampton on Severn
  • Coaley

Marriages at Slimbridge 1635 to 1812

Gloucestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol I. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.

Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Blagg, Thomas Matthews

Note. – The registers of Slimbridge Church are, unfortunately, extremely imperfect. For more than a third of the period comprised in the following abstract there are no records extant, as will be seen by this list of the missing years.

1653-1659, 1670, 1680-1682, 1684, 1687-1707, 1723-1729, 1733-1738, 1742, 1799-1800.

This abstract has been made by the Rev. W. Symonds, M.A., Vicar of Frocester, and is now printed by permission of the Rev. C. R. Ridding, M.A., Rector of Slimbridge

Marriages at Slimbridge 1635 to 1812 - Archive.org

Historical Description

Cottages in the village of Slimbridge. The copyright on this image is owned by Philip Halling and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Slimbridge, a village and a parish in Dursley district, Gloucester. The village stands near the Gloucester and Berkeley canal, 1½ mile NW of Dursley-Junction r. station, and 4 NNW of Dursley; and has a post-office under Stonehouse. The parish contains also five hamlets; and comprises 3,660 acres of land, and 770 of water. Real property, £10,125; of which £512 are in the canal. Pop., 789. Houses, 172. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £600. Patron, Magdalen College, Oxford. The church was restored in 1846, and has a fine spire. Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Dursley
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Dursley
  • Poor Law Union: Dursley
  • Hundred: Berkeley (Gloucestershire)
  • Province: Canterbury