Shurdington is a chapelry of Badgeworth Ancient Parish in Gloucestershire.
Alternative names: Great Shurdington
Parish registers begin: 1556
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
Parishes adjacent to Shurdington
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SHURDINGTON (Great), a parish, with a village, in Cheltenham district, Gloucester; 3 miles SW by S of Cheltenham r. station. It has a post-office under Cheltenham. Acres, 383. Real property, £1,490. Pop., 164. Houses, 37. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to Badgeworth. The church is early English. There is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Shurdington (Great), a parish in the upper division of the hund. of Dudstone and King's-Barton, union of Cheltenham, county of Gloucester; 3 miles south-south-west of Cheltenham. Living, a curacy to the vicarage of Badgeworth. Here is a daily school. Acres 2,080. Houses 24. A. P. £466. Pop., in 1801, 63; in 1831, 99. Poor rates, in 1838, £00 13s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Shurdington (Great), 3 miles E. Gloucester. P. 198
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Shurdington, co. Gloucester.
P. T. Cheltenham (94) 3½ m. SW. Pop. 102.
A parish in the upper division of the hundred of Dudstone and King's Barton; living, a curacy subordinate to the vicarage of Badgeworth in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, not in charge; church ded to St. Paul; patronage with Badgeworth vicarage. On opening a large tumulus here, a stone coffin was discovered containing the body of a man, and a helmet, much corroded.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. III; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Discharge of Prisoners
The people listed below were discharged as a prisoners in the debtors prison.
Before the Judge of the County Court of Worcestershire holden at the Guildhall Worcester on Wednesday the 12th day of March 1851 at Ten o Clock in the Forenoon precisely. James Villar formerly of Piccadilly farm Prestbury near Cheltenham Gloucestershire Farmer then of the same and of Leckhampton near Cheltenham aforesaid Farmer and Dairyman then of Leckhampton near Cheltenham aforesaid Farmer Dairyman Corn and Hop Dealer and Maltster having a malthouse in Gloucester place Cheltenham aforesaid then of Close-cottage Shurdington near Cheltenham aforesaid out of business and late in lodgings at the Royal Oak Inn Bredon Worcestershire out of business his wife during the same time being in lodgings at Close-cottage Shurdington aforesaid. - The London Gazette
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Cheltenham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Winchcombe
- Poor Law Union: Cheltenham
- Hundred: Dudstone and King's Barton
- Province: Canterbury