Shipton Oliffe is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Other places included in the parish: Hampen (also partly in the parish of Sevenhampton)
Parish registers begin: 1666
Nonconformists include: Strict Baptist
Parishes adjacent to Shipton Oliffe
- Compton Abdale
- Shipton Sollars
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SHIPTON-OLIFFE, a parish, with a village, in Northleach district, Gloucester; 7 miles ESE of Cheltenham r. station. Post town, Andoversford, under Cheltenham. Acres, 1,050. Real property, £1,683. Pop., 255. Houses, 56. The manor belongs to G Fletcher, Esq. Limestone is plentiful. The living is a rectory, united with Shipton-Sollars, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £450. Patron, W. Peachy, Esq. The church is Norman and good. There is a free school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Shipton-Oliffe, a parish in the hund. of Bradley, union of Northleach, county of Gloucester; 5½ miles north-west by west of Northleach. Living, a rectory with that of Shipton-Sollars, formerly in the archd. and dio. of Gloucester, now in the dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £7 5s. 9d.; gross income £412. Tithes commuted in 1791. Patron, in 1841, W. G. Peachey. Here is a Sunday school. Acres 1,050. Houses 44. A. P. £1,336. Pop., in 1801, with Shipton-Sollars, 239; in 1831, exclusive of Shipton-Sollars, 229. Poor rates, in 1838, £78 16s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Hampen Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856
Hampen is a small hamlet, partly in the parish of Sevenhampton, and partly in that of Shipton Oliffe, distant about 2 miles east of Andoversford, and 5 west from Northleach, and consists of the residence of T. B. Browne, Esq., and a flax and bone mill and one farm. The population is about 80. T. R. Browne, Esq., is owner of the soil.
Browne Thos. Beale, esq. Hampen ho
Handy Thomas, farmer, Hampen farm
Browne Thomas Beale, flax & bone mills
Letters through Northleach, which is also the nearest money order office.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Northleach
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 - Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Northleach
- Poor Law Union: Northleach
- Hundred: Bradley
- Province: Canterbury