Sherborne is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1572
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1571
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Calvinist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Plymouth Brethren, Presbyterian, Primitive Methodist, Protestant Dissenters, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SHERBORNE, a village and a parish in Northleach district, Gloucester. The village stands 5½ miles S by E of Bourton-on-the-Water r. station; gives the title of Baron to the Dutton family; and has a post-office under Cheltenham. The parish comprises 4,560 acres. Real property, £5,796. Pop., 584. Houses, 127. The manor belonged formerly to Winchcomb abbey; and, with S. Park, belongs now to Lord Sherborne. The mansion occupies the site of a seat of the abbots; and was rebuilt, at great cost, in 1831. The living is a vicarage, united with Windrush, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £194. Patron, Lord Sherborne. The church was rebuilt in 1850, and has a tower and spire. Bradley, the astronomer, was a native.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Northleach
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
Rural Deanery: Northleach
Poor Law Union: Northleach