Saul is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Gloucestershire, created in 1740 from chapelry in Standish Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin: 1573
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Saul
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SAUL, a parish, with a village, in Wheatenhurst district, Gloucester; near the river Severn, 4 miles N W of Stonehouse r. station. It has a post-office under Stone-house. Acres, 564. Real property, £2,166; of which £431 are in the Gloucester and Berkeley and the Thames and Severn canals. Pop., 607. Houses, 144. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £125. Patron, the Bishop of G. and B. The church is old, and was repaired and enlarged about 1850. The rectory of Framilode is a separate benefice. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, a British school, and charities £5.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Porter John; and Nicholas Neale Clark; Framilode mills, near Frampton, Gloucestershire, edge tool makers. Feb. 10, 1829.
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Saul Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1863
Saul is a parish and village, 5 miles north-west from Stonehouse railway station, 8½ from Gloucester, and 2 east from Whitminster, in Gloucester county court district, Whitstone hundred, Wheatenhurst union, East Gloucestershire, Gloucester rural deanery and archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric; it is situated on the river Severn, Gloucester and Berkeley canal and Stroud canal. The church of St. James is an old building, repaired and enlarged about 1850, and has a tower, porch, chancel, monuments, font, and 1 bell.
The living is a perpetual curacy, with Moreton Valence annexed, joint value £210 yearly, with residence and 6 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the bishop of the diocese, and held by the Rev. John Fowell Jones, M.A., of Balliol College, Oxford. There is a National school for boys and girls, and a British school; the Wesleyans have a chapel here. The population in 1861 was 607, and the acreage is 500. The soil is clay and sand; the subsoil is gravel. The Rev. George Pickard Cambridge (lord of the manor), P. B. Purnell, Esq., the Rev. Sir William L. Darell, Bart., and the Rev. R. B. Cooper are chief landowners. There are charities of £5 yearly value. The church for the ecclesiastical district of Framilode, recently formed, is situated in this parish.
Clegram William B. esq. Saul lodge
Jones Rev. John Powell. M.A
Boughton Isaac, beer retailer
Clegram William B. engineer & superintendent of the Gloucester & Berkeley canal, Saul lodge
Ely Anthony, farmer, Saul farm
Gower Levison, barge owner
Greenway William, mason
Hawkins Esther (Mrs.), farmer
Pinnegar John Ephraim, boot & shoe maker, & leather seller
Letters received through Stonehouse.
The nearest money order office is at Frampton -on-Severn
National School (boys & girls), Mrs. Hannah Rowles, mistress
British School, John Vince, master
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Wheatenhurst
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Gloucester
- Poor Law Union: Wheatenhurst
- Hundred: Whitstone (Gloucestershire)
- Province: Canterbury