Sandhurst is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish registers begin: 1538
Parishes adjacent to Sandhurst
- Gloucester St Mark
- Gloucester St Mary de Lode
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SANDHURST, a parish, with a straggling village, in the district and county of Gloucester; near the river Severn, 3 miles N of Gloucester r. station. It has a postal letter-box under Gloucester. Acres, 2,227. Real property, £5,507. Pop., 549. Houses, 117. The property is much subdivided. Wallsworth Hall is the seat of Capt. De Winton. Brick making is carried on; and many salmon are caught. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £310. Patron, the Bishop of G. and B. The church is Norman, and was restored and enlarged in 1858. Charities, £25.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Sandhurst, a parish in the hund. of Dudstone and King's Barton, union and county of Gloucester; 3 miles north of Gloucester, and east of the Severn. Living, a discharged vicarage, formerly in the archd. and dio. of Gloucester, now in the dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; certified at £34, returned at £129 16s. 5d.; gross income £211. Tithes commuted in 1839. Patron, the bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. Charities, in 1826, about £60 per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £199 1s. Acres 2,010. Houses 87. A.P. £3,739. Pop., in 1801, 365; in 1831. 434.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Sandhurst Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1863
Sandhurst is a township, parish, and straggling village, 3 miles north-east from Gloucester railway station, bounded on the west by the navigable river Severn, in the hundred of Dudstone and King's Barton, Gloucester union, archdeaconry, rural deanery, and county court district, East Gloucestershire, and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church of St. Lawrence (which in 1858 was restored and enlarged at a considerable outlay) is built in the Norman style, and consists of a nave, north aisle, chancel, porch, and a tower at the west end containing 6 bells.
The living is a vicarage, valued at £310 yearly, with a good residence, in the patronage of the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol; the Rev. Edmund Percy Brett, B.A., is the incumbent. The population in 1861 was 549; the area is 2,227 acres; rateable value, £4,288. The soil is in some parts sandy, in others a deep clay (but on the banks of the Severn a red fertile loam is apparent), and is applied to pasture, arable, and meadow. Wallsworth Hall, the seat of Captain de Winton, is a handsomely built house, commanding a beautiful prospect over Twigworth, Hatherley, and the Cotswold hills, and is surrounded by a large estate. The lords of the manor are the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester, and Captain de Winton, of Wallsworth Hall, who are also the chief landowners. Brickmaking is carried on here. There are charities of £25 yearly value connected with this parish. Many salmon are caught here in the season.
Brewern, Abloads Court, and Bengrove are farms.
Parish Clerk, George Daniell.
Brett Rev. Edmund Percy, B.A. Vicarage
Darley William, esq. The Grove
De Winton Capt. Wallsworth hall
Johnstone George, esq
Mansel Mrs. Rectory cottage
Washbourn Edward, esq. Abbotts lodge
Arkell Henry, butcher
Butler William & Co. naphtha distillery, Upper Parting works
Butt Henry, farmer, Abloads court
Butt Richard, farmer
Cresswell Thomas, farmer
Daniell George, farmer
Daniell John, carpenter & wheelwright
Daniell Joseph, carpenter & wheelwrght
Drinkwater Henry, farmer
Gardener Charles, farmer, Willington ct
Griffiths John, farmer
Gwynne Thomas, farmer, Musselend farm
Hobbs Henry, blacksmith
Johnstone George, farmer & surgeon
Kent William, farmer
Long John, farmer, Cofferies farm
Newman Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Newman Emanuel, White Horse inn, & farmer
Newman Henry, farmer
Organ Charles, farmer, Brewern farm
Organ Charles, shoemaker
Sessions Jesse, brickmaker
Voice Thomas, farmer, Hill farm
Post Office Letter Box.— Letters arrive from Gloucester at 8 a.m.; dispatched thereto at 6.15 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Gloucester
National School (boys & girls), Miss Marian Stokes, mistress
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.
The following newspapers cover the area.
Cheltenham Chronicle (The British Newspaper Archive)
Cheltenham Examiner (The British Newspaper Archive)
Cheltenham Journal and Gloucestershire Fashionable Weekly Gazette (The British Newspaper Archive)
Cheltenham Looker-On (The British Newspaper Archive)
Cheltenham Mercury (The British Newspaper Archive)
Cirencester Times and Cotswold Advertiser (The British Newspaper Archive)
Gloucester Citizen (The British Newspaper Archive)
Gloucester Journal (The British Newspaper Archive)
Gloucestershire Chronicle (The British Newspaper Archive)
Gloucestershire Echo (The British Newspaper Archive)
Stroud Journal (The British Newspaper Archive)
Stroud News and Gloucestershire Advertiser (The British Newspaper Archive)
Tewkesbury Register, and Agricultural Gazette., The (The British Newspaper Archive)
Wilts and Gloucestershire Standard (The British Newspaper Archive)
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Gloucester
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Gloucester
- Poor Law Union: Gloucester
- Hundred: Dudstone and King's Barton
- Province: Canterbury