Saintbury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish church: St Nicholas
Parish registers begin: 1561
Parishes adjacent to Saintbury
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SAINTBURY, a parish in the district of Evesham and county of Gloucester; 1½ mile N E by N of Broadway, and 3¾ S of Honeybourne r. station. Post-town, Broadway. Acres, 1,336. Real property, £2,288. Pop., 121. Houses, 27. The manor was anciently called Suineberie, after King Sweyne; and belongs now to Sir J. M. Steele-Grave, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese o Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £415. Patron, J. R. West, Esq. The church is good, and has a spire. Charities, £6.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Saintbury (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Evesham, Upper division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, E division of the county of Gloucester, 2 ¼ miles (W) from Chipping-Campden; containing 133 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1336a. 22p.; the surface is diversified with hills; the soil in the lower grounds is a strong clay, and in the upper of lighter quality; in the valleys are some good meadows, and the remainder is productive arable land. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £19. 9. 4½.; net income, £415; patron, J. R. West, Esq. The church has undergone various alterations, but there is still a Norman door remaining. Castle Bank, an ancient camp in the parish, is ascribed to the Danes, and supposed to have been dependent upon a larger one upon the summit of the same hill, in the adjoining parish of Willersey.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Marriages at Saintbury 1585 to 1812
Gloucestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol IV. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Blagg, Thomas Matthews.
Saintbury Marriages 1755 to 1812
Vol. II. – 1755 – 1812.
Thomas Penson & Mary Calver, 14 Dec. 1755
John Durham & Elizabeth Minshin, 14 Oct. 1756
Thomas Hornyblow & Mary Purcocks, 11 Apr. 1757
John Hoskins & Elizabeth Linell, lic., 5 July 1757
William Davis, of Stratford, & Eleanor James, 7 Nov. 1757
John Hall & Ann Page, of Cherrington, 19 Feb. 1759
George Bird & Sarah Smith, 8 Oct. 1759
William Hartwell & Mary Calvert, 19 May 1760
Robert Hawker & Dorothy Willacks, of Wornington, 4 Nov. 1760
Richard Tayler & Elizabeth Avis, 13 Oct. 1761
James Clark & Elizabeth Farr, 7 Sept. 1776 [sic]
Samuel Syt, of Washborne, & Sarah Wakefield, 14 Oct. 1762
William Hiron & Esther Grummit, of Weston (Subedge), 14 May 1762
Richard Pitteway, of Locksley, & Hester Hemmings, 21 Mar. 1764
James Wakefield & Mary Durham, 18 Oct. 1764
John Windson & Elizabeth Seabright, 29 Jan. 1766
William Berry, w., & Alice Freeman, 26 Dec. 1767
Thomas Marshall & Hannah Lampit, 28 June 1771
William Tisoe, of Longborough, & Betty Rouse, 12 Jan. 1772
John Freeman, of Stratford, & Celia Kenwrick, lic., 21 Jan. 1773
William Renards & Ann Grove, of Binton, 17 Feb. 1775
Thomas Timms & Mary Stanley, lic., 18 Feb. 1775
William Hudson, of Stretton, & Anne Phillips, lic., 27 Mar. 1775
Frances Hodgkins & Mary Hodgkins, 3 Nov. 1776
William Horne, of Weston Subedge, & Mary Penson, 25 Sept. 1777
Thomas Tracey, of Quinton, & Elizabeth Rise, 13 Oct. 1777
George Hawker & Mary Agg, lic., 10 Dec. 1777
John Stow, w., of Stanton, & Hannah Stanley, lic., 11 June 1779
John Taylor, w., & Ann Hodgekins, 7 June 1780
Joseph Richards & Catherine Darby, 17 Oct. 1780
Richard White, of Bengeworth, & Ann Robins, 4 Nov. 1780
Richard Winter, of Weston Subedge, & Mary Freeman, of Bourton-on-the-Hill, lic., 30 Apr. 1784
Edward Bryan & Sarah Fisher, lic., 13 Oct. 1785
Thomas Mathon & Elizabeth Clisset, 16 Oct. 1788
Joseph Tandy & Betty Deavis, 22 Feb. 1790
James Herbert Barnes, of Mickleton, & Elizabeth Read, lic., 8 Dec. 1790
John Bloxham, of Broadway, & Alice Smith, 7 Nov. 1790
Thomas Joinier & Elizabeth Lawton, 29 Dec. 1792
William Castle & Hannah Printice, 10 Nov. 1793
David Bily, of Stanton, & Mary Bishop, 1 Dec. 1793
Edward Dolman, cooper, of All Saints, Evesham, & Mary Cooper, lic., 9 Oct. 1793
William Dowler & Mary Gisbourne, 7 Nov. 1803
William Bradshaw, of South Littleton, & Rebecca Newman, 25 Dec. 1806
James West, Esquire, of Alscot, & Miss Ann Roberts, lic., 31 Mar. 1808
Charles Bill, of Peopleton, & Hannah Bashet, of Badsey, – May 1812
Thomas Breechey, of Stanway, & Elizabeth Cooke, 25 Aug. 1812
Source: Gloucestershire Parish Register. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol IV. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 36, Essex Street, Strand, London. 1898.
Saintbury Marriages 1699 to 1746
Henry Jones & Mary Green, of Ragley, 25 June 1701
William Jones & Ann Covert, of Hook Norton, co. Ox., 7 Jan. 1701
John Hale, of Campden & Mary Clark, 24 Jan. 1699 [sic]
Richard Lidsey & Mary Powel, 21 Feb. 1699 [sic]
Thomas Rose, of Broad Campden, & Mary Banks, 13 Apr. 1702
Robert James & Mary Wood, of Broadway, 30 Mar. 1702
Joseph Archer, of Salford, gent., & Ann Brawn, lic., 8 Oct. 1703
John Freeman & Mary Roper, of Willersey, 10 Feb. 1703
John Cotterell, of Abbotts Norton, & Elizabeth Hopkins, lic., 9 Dec. 1704
Richard Longstone, of Chipping Campden, & Mary Evans, 25 May 1704
John Davies & Martha Best, b. of Broadway, 7 Oct. 1705
Robert Hawker, of Wincom (Winchcombe), & Katherine Carelis, 23 Aug. 1705
Samuel Cromwell, of Aswin & Hashuale Gibbs, 2 Oct. 1707
Elbrighte Clarke, of Campden, & Elizabeth Compier, 11 Apr. 1708
John Bateman, of Compton Abdale, & Ann Pernier, of Hazelton, lic., 10 May 1708
William Jones, of Wickamford, & Alice White, lic., 15 Jan. 1708
Edward James, of Ragley, & Mary Batch, of Church Honiborne, 24 Mar. 1711
Rolland Smith & Mary Benwick, of Tedington, lic., 27 July 1711
William Scrimshaw, of St. Clement Danes, London, & Elizabeth Smith, of Campden, lic., 27 Aug. 1711
John Carter & Mary Goodwin, lic., 22 June 1712
Sir John St. Barb, of Broadlands, Hants, & Alviva Horne, lic., 13 Sept. 1712
John Sanford & Ann Reen, lic., 1 Nov. 1712
Michael Sanders, of Hampton, & Mary Harrison, 11 Aug. 1713
Thomas Nicholas, of Weston Subedge, & Mary Hunt, 29 Mar. 1714
William Saunders & Jane Davies, b. of Borton-on-the-Hill, 30 Mar. 1714
James White, of Broad Campden, & Rebeccah Hastings, 1 Apr. 1714
Anthony Richardson, of Buckland, & Mary Fleman, lic., 28 Nov. 1715
Henry James & Mary Kiton, of Campden, 17 Oct. 1715
Edward Sanford & Eleoner Freeman, 21 Dec. 1715
John Smith, of Christ Church, London, & Sarah Keyte, of Campden, lic., 5 May 1716
George Bickerstaff, of Campden, & Ann Rastoll, 26 July 1717
Anthony Smith & Ann Darwin, 9 Jan. 1717
Joseph James & Mary Reding, of Campden, 12 Apr. 1718
William Walker & Ann Yeat, of Weston-upon-Avon, 5 Oct. 1718
Frances Cowley & Rebecca Widdows, b. of Salford, 4 Dec. 1718
William Knight & Sarah Alderton, 28 Oct. 1719
Richard Slait, of Broadway, & Susannah Nobbs, 1 Mar. 1719
John Taylor, of Campden, & Elizabeth Carter, 25 Sept. 1720
William Strudley, of Broadway, & Katherine James, 21 Oct. 1720
James Baldwyn, of Ashton-under-Hill, & Sara Robbines, of Michleton, lic., 1 Jan. 1720
Jannarnis Sely & Elizabeth [—-], 21 Sept. 1721
Giles Berks, of Norton, & Mary Brooks, 4 Oct. 1722
John Hunt & Ann Curteis, b. of Bradforton, 7 Nov. 1723
Phillip Rock, of Norton, & Catherine Brooks, 27 Dec. 1733
Thomas Day & Sarah Vinson, of Arrow, 7 Jan. 1734
John Calvert & Jane Careless, 9 Oct. 1734
Thomas Taylor, of Mickleton, & Mary Curteis, 10 Oct. 1734
Anthony Smith & Elizabeth Corm, 9 Nov. 1731
John Field, of Longborough, & Elizabeth Daniel, 13 Nov. 1731
Samuel Sanson, of Aston Subedge, & Ann Bennit, 14 Oct. 1733
John Loe, of Buckland, & Elizabeth Francklyn, 4 Oct. 1737
Luke Lamley & Mary Hale, w., 26 Sept. 1738
Robert Roberts & Elizabeth Russel, of Broadway, 5 Oct. 1739
John Yeate, of Campden, & Sarah Knight, lic., 14 July 1740
Thomas Attkins, of Campden, & Sarah Yeats, lic., 8 Sept. 1743
Thomas Taylor, of Brugeworth, & Sarah Dyde, 22 Mar. 1743
Joseph Evits, of Shipston, & Ann Smith, lic., 24 Feb. 1746
Source: Gloucestershire Parish Register. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol. IV. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 36, Essex Street, Strand, London. 1898.
Saintbury Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876
Saintbury is a small village and parish in Evesham union, Worcestershire, containing by the census of 1861, 121, and in 1861, 135 inhabitants, with 1336 acres; in the deanery of Campden, archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, the upper division of Kiftsgate hundred, East Gloucestershire; 3 ¼ miles from Honeybourn Station on the West Midlands section of the. Great Western Railway, 3 west from Chipping Campden, 7 south-east from Evesham, 30 north-east from Gloucester, and 91 from London. The rectory, in the incumbency of the Rev. Charles Walker Simons, M.A., is valued at £415 per annum, with residence, and is in the patronage of James Roberts West, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, consists of north and south aisles and chancel, with tower surmounted by a spire containing 6 bells. There are National Schools for children of both sexes. In the village is an ancient cross having a sun-dial near the top. The representatives of the late Sir John Maxwell Steelegrave, Bart., are lords of the manor. The rateable value of this parish is £2197.
Simons Rev. Charles Walker, M.A., The Rectory
Trades and Professions
Bloxsidge John, farmer, Newcombe
Drury James, farmer
Rimell John, farmer
Smith Thomas, farmer, Lower farm
Ward Caleb, farmer, Saintbury grounds
Letters through Broadway, which is the nearest money order office.
Source: Morris & Co.’s commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.
Saintbury Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1863
Saintbury is a small village and parish, 4 miles from Church Honeybourne station on the West Midland line of railway, 30 from Gloucester, 7 from Evesham, 3 from Campden, and about 91 north-west from London, in the hundred of Upper Kiftsgate, division of Moreton, rural deanery of Campden, archdeaconry of Gloucester, bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol, and Evesham union and county court district. The church of St. Nicholas is a stone building, having a spire, aisles, chancel, and 6 bells.
The living is a rectory, annual value £415, with residence, in the gift of James Roberts West, Esq., of Alscot house, near Stratford-on-Avon; the Rev. William Barrett is the incumbent. The population in 1861 was 121; the acreage of the parish is 1,336; rateable value, £1,910. Sir John Maxwell Steele-Grave, Bart., is lord of the manor.
Parish Clerk, William Smith.
Barrett Rev. William [rector]
Ellis Daniel, farmer
Rimell John, farmer
Stanley William, carrier
Ward Caleb, farmer, Saintbury grounds
Ward Edward, farmer
White Stephen, plasterer
Letters are received through Broadway, which is the nearest money order office.
National School, Mrs. Ann White, mistress.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Evesham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Campden
- Poor Law Union: Evesham
- Hundred: Kiftsgate
- Province: Canterbury