Rodborough is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Gloucestershire, created in 1840 from chapelry in Minchinhampton Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Rodburgh
Parish registers begin: 1692
Nonconformists include: Calvinistic Methodist and Independent/Congregational.
Parishes adjacent to Rodborough
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
RODBOROUGH, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Stroud district, Gloucester. The village stands near Stroud river, 1 mile SSW of Stroud r. station; and is a seat of petty-sessions. The parish comprises 1,310 acres. Post-town, Stroud, under Gloucester. Real property, £12,063. Pop., 2,165. Houses, 492. The property is much divided. The manor belongs to Earl Russell. There are several good residences, and some woollen-cloth mills and dye-works. R. Hill commands an extensive and very fine view, and has remains of a Roman camp. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £300. Patron, P. Jose, Esq. The church, excepting the tower, was re-built in 1842, and is in a florid later English style. A morning lectureship belongs to the church, and is in the gift of Brasenose college, Oxford. Portions of the parish are included in the chapelries of Brimscombe and Amberley. There are an Independent chapel, two endowed schools with £85 a year, and a British school. Clutterbuck, a blind mechanical genius, born in 1638, was a native. The sub-district contains also two other parishes. Acres, 4,192. Pop., 5,819. Houses, 1,169.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Rodborough, 1 mile S.W. Stroud. P. 2147
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Stroud
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Stonehouse
- Poor Law Union: Stroud
- Hundred: Longtree
- Province: Canterbury