Other places in the parish include: Shortwood.
Parish registers begin: 1590
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Society of Friends/Quaker.
Parishes adjacent to Pucklechurch
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PUCKLECHURCH, a village, a parish, and a hundred, in Gloucester. The village stands 2 miles N E of Mangotsfield r. station, and 4 SSW of Chipping-Sodbury; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Bristol. The parish contains also the hamlet of Short-wood, and is in Chipping-Sodbury district. Acres, 2,428. Real property, £7,343; of which £980 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 931; in 1861, 1,265. Houses, 231. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Earl of Radnor. Shortwood lodge is the seat of H. Cosham, Esq. There are several coal pits. Edward the Elder was killed here by the robber Leolfa. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacies of Abson, Wick, and Westerleigh, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £765. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Wells. The church is early English; was recently restored; and has a tower, and three monuments. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, a national school, an endowed school with £53 a year, and charities £12. The hundred contains also four other parishes. Acres, 12,879. Pop., 5,121. Houses, 1,041.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1848
Puckle-Church, a parish in the above hund., union of Chipping-Sodbury, Gloucestershire; 4 miles south of Chipping-Sodbury. Living, a vicarage with Abston and Westerleigh, in dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £44 13s. 4d.; gross income £881. Patrons, the dean and chapter of Wells. Here is a daily school, endowed with £52 per ann. Poor rates £191 14s. The Saxon kings had a palace here. Acres 2,110. Houses 150. A.P. £4,850. Pop., in 1801, 542; in 1831, 796.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1848
Pucklechurch England’s Gazetteer 1752
Pucklechurch, (Gloc.) near the source of the Boyd r, N. E. of Bristol, is a p. 10 m. in com. which abounds in coal. It was once a royal village, and the residence of some of the Saxon Ks. of whose great buildings some ruins are yet visible. Edmund K. of the West-Saxons was stabbed here with a dagger by an outlawed robber, whom he seized with his own hand, because he would not obey the usher, that carried the order for him to quit the place. The manor anciently bel. to the abbey of Glastonbury, and afterwards to the see of Bath and Wells, to which a great part of it still remains; but the rest of it was for some time in the hands of the Dennis's, who had a large seat here, called the Court-House; but it was sold by the heiresses in the south-sea year to Mr. Knight. The Bp. of Bath had formerly a large park here, which in the R. of Edw. VI. was granted to Sir Will. Herbert, and was the estate of the late Sir Rich. Whitmore of Slaughter. A wake used to be kept here the first Sunday in July. The water of St. Aldam's-Well in this p. is cried up much for sore eyes and diet-drinks. Here is a ch.sc.
Source: England’s Gazetteer; Stephen Whatley; 1752.
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Chipping Sodbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Hawkesbury
- Poor Law Union: Chipping Sodbury
- Hundred: Pucklechurch
- Province: Canterbury