Pebworth is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Broad Marston.
Parish registers begin: 1594
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Pebworth
- North and Middle Littleton
- Marston Sicca
- Church Honeybourne
- Cleeve Prior
- Weston Subedge
Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Pebworth, a village and a parish in the district of Evesham and county of Gloucestershire. The village stands near the boundary with Worcester, 1 1/2 mile NE of Honeybourne r. station, and 5 N by W of Chipping-Campden. The parish contains also the hamlet of Broad-Marston; and its post-town is Chipping-Campden, under Moreton-in-the-Marsh. Acres, 3,050. Real property, £5,391. Pop., 736. Houses, 163. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to T. Shekel, Esq. There are mineral springs. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £98. Patron, T. Shekel, Esq. The church is good, and has a tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school with £24 a-year, and charities £48.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].
The History of the County of Gloucestershire 1803
Broad Marston, about a mile E. from the church Sir Alan Bushel was lord of this manor in 1245, and was buried in Pebworth church. In his family it continued for eleven generations, in a direct line from father to son, till it passed to the Earl of Salisbury, whose descendant, James Cecil, Marquis of Salisbury, was lord of the manor, until it was sold, about 1794, to Mr. Horseman. It has since been resold.
Source: The History of the County of Gloucestershire; Thomas Rudge; 1803
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Pebworth Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856
Pebworth is a township, village, and parish, 2 miles from Honeybourne station on the Oxford, Worcester, and Wolverhampton line of railway, 5 ½ from Campden, and 28 from Gloucester, in the upper division of the Hundred of Kiftsgate, bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol, and Union of Evesham. The church is a stone building, having a tower, aisles, chancel, and 4 bells. The living is a vicarage, in the gift of W. B. Shekel, Esq.; the Rev. James Fowle is the incumbent. The acreage contained is 2,993, and the rateable value £4,750. W. B. Shekel, Esq., is lord of the manor. The population, in 1851, was 737, including 251 in Broad Marston hamlet.
Corbett Cotterell, esq. Broad Marston
Fowle Rev. James, Vicarage
Shekel William Bonner, esq.
Smith Mrs. Samuel
Baldwin John, farmer
Bromley William, ‘Masons’ Arms,’ & maltster
Butler Ann (Mrs.), beer retailer & farmer
Butler Charles, farmer & butcher
Butler Thomas, farmer, Broad Marston
Churchley David, bricklayer
Churchley John, carrier
Clayton Richd. farmer, Broad Marston
Garner Thomas, blacksmith
Gould Charles, shoemaker
Gould John, sen. shoemaker, Broad Marston
Gould John, jun. shoemaker
Grey Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Grey William, shopkeeper
Harborne Richard, tailor
Holland Charles, farmer, Broad Marston
Johnson Thomas, carpenter
Langston David, farmer
Moore Charles, saddler & harness makr.
Moore Thomas, blacksmith
Pearce William, wheelwright
Petefher William, farmer
Rastall Samuel, baker & shopkeeper
Smith Daniel, ‘Red Lion’
Smith Thomas, farmer
Smith William, farmer
Tomlinson Thomas, farmer
Trowton Joseph, farmer & baker
Tysoe Elizabeth & Grace (Misses), farmer
Wilkins Henry, farmer
Letters are received through Long Marston. The nearest money order office is at Campden.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.
Marriages Out of Parish
Below is a list of people who were from Pebworth but who were married in another parish.
Anthony Sadler, of Pebworth, & Sarah Bushell, of the North town 27 May 1662 at North & Middle Littleton, Worcestershire.
John Woolverston & Mary Ryland, of Pebbworth 17 Nov. 1662 at South Littleton, Worcestershire.
Thos. Hale, of Pebworth, & Eliz. Moore, of S. L. 7 Oct. 1764 at South Littleton, Worcestershire.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Evesham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 - Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Campden
- Poor Law Union: Evesham
- Hundred: Kiftsgate
- Province: Canterbury