Overbury Worcestershire & Gloucestershire Family History Guide

Overbury with Alstone, Teddington and Little Washbourne is an Ancient Parish partly in Gloucestershire and partly in Worcestershire. The Gloucestershire parts are Alstone and Little Washbourne. Teddington is a chapelry of Overbury.

Parish church: St. Faith

Parish registers begin: 1557 Separate registers exist for Alstone - See Alstone

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Roman Catholic.

Parishes adjacent to Overbury

Historical Descriptions

Overbury

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

OVERBURY, a village and a sub-district in the district of Tewkesbury and county of Worcester, and a parish partly also in the district of Winchcomb and county of Gloucester. The village stands under Bredon hill, near the boundary with Gloucestershire, 2¼ miles E by N of Bredon r. station, and 5½ NE of Tewkesbury; is a pretty place; and has a post-office under Tewkesbury. The parish contains also the hamlets of Conderton and Teddington in Worcestershire, and the hamlets of Little Washbourne and Alstone in Gloucestershire. Acres of the W. portion, 2,760; of the G. portion, 1,060. Real property, of the whole, £4,267. Pop. of the whole, 925. Houses, 198. Pop. of the G. portion, 124. Houses, 25. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. Overbury Court, a picturesque mansion at the W entrance of the village, is the seat of R. Martin, Esq. A block of stone, about 3 feet in diameter, dug from a depth of about 20 feet, was found, on being broken, to have inclosed a living toad, which continued to live 8 hours after being set free. Industry is carried on in a silk-mill, a paper-mill, a corn mill, and stone quarries. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelries of Teddington, Washbourne, and Alstone, in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £421. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. The church, with exception of the chancel, was recently rebuilt; is partly in the early English style; retains, in the chancel, some good features of early English architecture; has an embattled tower; and contains remains of old oak pews, and a monument to W. Dowdeswell, with epitaph by Burke. There are a dissenting chapel, a national school, and charities £31. The sub-district excludes the Gloucester portion of O. parish, but includes three parishes of Gloucester, and part of Bredon parish in Worcester. Acres, 10,428. Pop., 2,970. Houses, 678.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Overbury – a parish and township in the hundred of Oswaldslow, middle division, 4 miles N.E. from Tewkesbury, and 101 from London, on the borders of Gloucestershire; containing 90 inhabited houses. Large enclosures have lately taken place here, and the roads have been much improved. In the parish is a free-stone quarry, in which are great quantities of stalactites and encrustations. It is a vicarage, with Alstone, Teddington, and Washbourne annexed; Rev. T. Clark, incumbent; instituted 1821; in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. Population, 1801, 425 – 1811, 413 – 1821, 395.

Overbury-Park, in the above parish, is the residence of John Martin, Esq. M.P. for Tewkesbury. The house is seated at the foot of the Cotswould-hills, and surrounded with some very fine groves.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Conderton

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Conderton – a hamlet to the parish of Overbury, hundred of Oswaldslow, middle division, 4 miles E. from Tewkesbury; containing 21 houses. On Conderton hill are the remains of a Danish camp. Population, 1801, 80 – 1811, 85 – 1821, 89.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Little Washbourne

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Washbourne (Little), a hamlet in the parish of Overbury, middle division of the hund. of Oswaldslow, union of Winchcomb, county of Worcester; 6½ miles east by north of Tewkesbury. Acreage with the parish. Houses 11. A.P. £910. Pop., in 1801, 59; in 1831, 51. Poor rates, in 1838. £23 5s.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Washbourne (Little) – a hamlet in the parish of Overbury, hundred of Oswaldslow, middle division, 9 miles S.W. from Evesham, and 98 from London; containing 8 inhabited houses. Population, 1801, 59 – 1811, 58 – 1821, 55.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Directories

Online Directories

Bentley's Directory of Overbury 1840 - Archive.org

Directory Transcriptions

Overbury Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855 (with Conderton, and Chapelry of Teddington)

Overbury is a very pretty village and parish, situate about 5½ miles from Tewkesbury, containing in 1851 a population of 525 inhabitants.

Overbury is very pleasantly situated, on the south side of Bredon Hill; the land in the neighbourhood is very fertile. There are several silk factories here, the principal of which is carried on by Mr. Peter Dormay, who employs a great number of hands.

Conderton is a small village and hamlet, in the parish of Overbury, from which place it is distant about one mile. The population at the last census was 178.

Teddington is a small village and Chapelry, in the parish of Overbury, distant from Tewkesbury about 5 miles, and 2¼ from the Ashchurch station. The population in 1851 was 135.

The Church at Overbury, dedicated to St. Faith, is a very old stone structure, with square embattled tower, containing five good bells. The building is partly in the early English, and partly in the pointed style, the chancel containing some very good specimens of both. The living is a Discharged Vicarage, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. Rev. William Smith, Vicar; Rev. Ferdinand William Becker, Curate; Mr. George Mann, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 15 p.m.

There is a small Chapel of Ease at Teddington, dedicated to St. Nicholas. It is a very old edifice, in the early English style of architecture, with square turreted tower. Rev. William Smith, Incumbent; Rev. William Falkner, Curate; Mr. B. Wellard, Clerk. Service – 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.

There is a small Wesleyan Chapel at Overbury. No stated minister. Service – 6 30 p.m.

There is a small Parochial School at Overbury, supported by contributions and the children’s payments. Mr George Mann, master. Average number of scholars, 45.

DIRECTORY

Berkeley Captain Robt., Esq., Magistrate, Overbury Court

Berkeley Mrs. Elizabeth

Eyston Ferdinand, Esq., Magistrate

Martin Mr. Joseph

Stoner Mrs. Mary

Whitcombe Mrs. Mary

Whitcombe The Misses

--

Ancill Charles, stonemason and shopkeeper

Ancill John, victualler, Star

Ancill William, painter and plumber

Barnett Thomas, farmer

Berkeley Maria Ann, shopkeeper

Berkeley William, farmer

Dormay Peter, silk throwster

Dutfield James, farmer

Harris Thomas, boot and shoe maker

Hooke John, carpenter

Hooke Joseph W., cabinet maker and carpenter

Martin John, Surgeon

Mann George, Parish Clerk, and Registrar of Birth and Deaths

Newland John, draper and shopkeeper

Roberts James, farmer; and at Kinsham

Sheen William, draper, grocer, and Sub-Postmaster

Smith William, blacksmith

Stallard Charles, silk throwster and miller

Stanley William, stone mason

Talmash Thomas, tailor and draper

Taylor James, miller and baker, Overbury Mill

Teale James, tailor

Yeend William, farmer

Conderton

Attwood William, farmer

Barnett William, shopkeeper

Baylis John, carpenter

Cook John, solicitor and farmer, Conderton House

Darke Thomas, shopkeeper

Kearsey John R., farmer

Lane William, shoe maker

Nott John, farmer

Nott William, farmer

Smith Job, blacksmith

Spiers Isaac, wheelwright

Surman John, farmer and cattle dealer

Teddington

Attwood Edmund, farmer, Vine Tree

Badham George, farmer; house, Beckford

Chandler Hannah, farmer

Creese Mary, farmer, High House Dance John, victualler, Teddington Hands

Hawkes John, farmer

New Edmund C., farmer, Church Field

Roberts Henry, farmer, Manor Farm

Vernon William, blacksmith

Post Office, Overbury – William Sheen, Sub-Postmaster. Arrival, 10 30a.m.; despatch, 4 p.m.

Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855

Overbury Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Overbuy, 5 miles from Tewkesbury, on the South side of Bredon Hill, it has the manors of Conderton, Tedington, Alston and Washbourn, and contains 85 houses, and 425 inhabitants.

Birch Wm., shoemaker

Cuff John, gent.

Darke Nathaniel, farmer

Hanley Francis, mason

Mann John

Martin Mr. surgeon

Moore F. schoolmistress

Purser John, mealman

Rawlins Mrs. gent.

Robinson E. paper maker

Stephens Dean, mealman

Waters Rev. E. P.

Whitcombe W. maltster

Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820.

Little Washborn Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856

Little Washborn is a hamlet in the parish, and 4 miles south-east from Overbury, in Worcestershire, and 5 south-west from Winchcomb, in the Hundred of Oswaldslow, Union of Winchcomb. Here is a small chapel of ease. The population, in 1851, was 29. This hamlet formed a detached portion of Worcestershire but is now part of the county of Gloucester.

Williams Elizabeth & Amelia, ‘Hob Nails’

Walker Edwin, farmer

Letters through Tewkesbury. The nearest money order office is at Winchcomb.

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.

Washbourne Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Arkell Thomas

Peart Richard, baker

Williams Richard, vict.

Source: S Lewis Worcestershire General and Commercial Directory for 1820

Administration

  • County: Worcestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Tewkesbury
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Worcester
  • Rural Deanery: Pershore
  • Poor Law Union: Tewkesbury, Winchcombe
  • Hundred: Oswaldslow
  • Province: Canterbury