Olveston is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Upper Tockington.
Parish registers begin: 1561
Nonconformists include: Quakers, Wesleyans, and United Free Methodists
Parishes adjacent to Olveston
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
OLVESTON, a village, a tything, and a parish, in Thornbury district, Gloucester. The village stands 2¾ miles ESE of the Severn, 2¾ NNE of piling r. station, and 3¼ S W of Thornbury; and has a post-office under Bristol. The tything includes the village, and bears the name of Olveston and Cote. Real property, £6,848. Pop. in 1851, 789. Houses, 156. The parish contains also the tything of Upper Tockington, and comprises 4,787 acres. Real property, £12,795. Pop. in 1861, 1,699. Houses, 337. The property is subdivided. The manor of Olveston belonged anciently to the Dennis family; and belongs now to R. Lippincott, Esq. The manor of Tockington belongs to the Rev. J. R. Charlton. Olveston-Green, Freezewood, Fern Park, New Leaze House, Oakleaze, Harts, Ridgeway, Lower Hazel, Woodhouse, and Tockington House are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £799. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church is partly early English; was repaired and considerably enlarged in 1840; consists of nave, transepts, aisles, and chancel, with S porch and pinnacled tower; and contains an old brass of Sir W. Dennis. There are chapels for Quakers, Wesleyans, and United Free Methodists, a mixed national school, an infant school, and charities £12.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Olveston, 3m. S.W. Thornbury. P. 1725
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Marriages at Olveston 1560 to 1812
Note. – The Olveston Parish Register books were examined, set in order, and bound in 1881.
Volume I, of paper, contains Weddings, 1560 to 1647, very neatly kept, and from 1694 to 1701, untidily kept, entries fewer on average; Baptisms, 1561 to 1657, very neatly kept, and from 1691 to 1702 untidy; Burials, 1561 to 1648, very neatly kept. There are no entries of Burials from 1648 to 1697.
Volume II contains Weddings, 1619 to 1644; Baptisms, 1604 to 1644; Burials, 1604 to 1641. This book, which is of parchment, seems to be a copy of part of the preceding, mostly made by Ralph Greene, Vicar, who died 1639.
Volume III contains Weddings, 1579 to 1648; Baptisms, 1561 to 1649; Burials, 1636 to 1639. This seems to have been the clerk’s rough copy from which Register Book I was made. Five or six pages of Burials have been cut out. This volume is on paper.
Volume IV contains Baptisms, 1701 to 1709; Burials, 1697 to 1709; Baptisms and Weddings, 1716, 1717; Weddings, 1697 to 1706. This volume is of parchment, and is in good condition.
Volume V contains Baptisms, 1723 to 1742, on parchment, untidy and damaged. The remainder of this volume contains Weddings, 1739 only; Baptisms, 1756, 1757; Burials, 1728 to 1737. These last are on paper, and in places the volume is damaged.
Volume VI has Baptisms and Burials, 1766 to 1769, 1773 to 1776.
Volume VII is on parchment, and contains Marriages 1741 to 1812. Under date 1763 is a note by the Rev. Christopher Shute as to omissions by his predecessor, and it will be seen that there are many gaps in the Register.
These extracts, made by the Rev. J. E. Vernon, Vicar of Olveston, are now printed by his permission and under his supervision.
Olveston Marriages 1800 to 1812
Olveston Marriages 1780 to 1799
Olveston Marriages 1770 to 1779
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Thornbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Bristol (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 - Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Bristol
- Poor Law Union: Thornbury
- Hundred: Langley and Swinehead
- Province: Canterbury