NEWLAND, a village and a tything in Monmouth district, and a parish partly also in Ross district, but all electorally in Gloucestershire. The village stands 1½ mile E of the river Wye at the boundary with Monmouthshire, 2 S.W. of Coleford, and 4 S.E. of Monmouth r. station; and has a post-office under Coleford. The tything contains also the hamlets of Upper Redbrook and Lower Redbrook, and extends to the Wye. Real property, £6,060; of which £10 are in fisheries. Pop. in 1851, 761; in 1861, 676. Houses, 142. The decrease of pop. was caused by migration. The parish contains also the tythings of Bream, Clearwell, Coleford, and Lea-Bailey. Acres, 8,797. Real property, £20,887; of which £16 are in fisheries, £260 in quarries, £58 in mines, and £20 in gas-works. Pop. in 1851, 4,574; in 1861, 5,147. Houses, 1,033. The increase of pop. occurred in all the tythings except Newland; and that in Bream tything amounted to 181, and arose from the extension of coal mining and iron manufacture. The property is much subdivided. Newland House is the seat of the Du Carcel family; Birchamp House, of the Brickdale family; Oak House, of Capt. J. H. Dighton; Valley House, of J. Reid, Esq.; Winnalls Hills, of J. T. Thomas, Esq.; Clearwell Court, of the Dowager Countess of Dunraven; and Stow Hall, of H. Horton, Esq. Some curious ancient Roman mines, called scowles, one part called the Devil’s chapel, are in Bream tything. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Red-brook, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £525. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is ancient and spacious; was restored in 1862, at a cost of more than £4,000; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a fine pinnacled tower; has four memorial windows; and contains a beautiful ancient font, a brass of a man in armour of 1450, and monuments of the Wyrhales. The p. curacies of Bream and Coleford, and the vicarage of Clearwell, are separate benefices. A national school, an endowed grammar school with £183 a year, and alms-houses with £229 are in Newland; chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and national schools built in 1862, are in Bream chapelry; national and infant schools are in Clearwell: and chapels for Independents, Baptists, and Wesleyans, two national schools for boys, and one for girls, are in Coleford.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Lea-Bailey, in Newland par. P. 135
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
In the Matter of the Petition of Jaspar Fowler, at present and for six months and upwards last past, residing at Little Dean-hill, in the hamlet of the Lea Bailey, in the parish of Newland, in the county of Gloucester, Licensed victualler and Innkeeper, previously of Westbury-upon Severn, in the county of Gloucester, Master of the Union Workhouse, and previously of Abinghall, in the county of Gloucester, Police Serjeant in the Gloucestershire Constabulary Force. NOTICE is hereby given, that John Maurice Herbert, Esq. Judge of the County Court of Herefordshire, at Ross, acting in the matter of this Petition, will proceed to make a Final Order thereon, at the said Court, on the 18th day of May next, at ten of the clock in the forenoon precisely, unless cause be then and there shewn to the contrary.
Civil Registration District: Monmouth
Probate Court: Pre-1541 – Court of the Bishop of Hereford, Post-1541 – Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol