Mitcheldean is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Gloucestershire.
Alternative names: Great Dean, Dean Magna, Michel Dean.
Parish registers begin: 1680
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist, Independent/Congregational, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Mitcheldean
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MITCHELDEAN, MITCHELL-DEAN, or DEAN-MAGNA, a village and a parish in Westbury-on-Severn district, Gloucester. The village stands in Dean Forest, 1 mile E of the boundary with Hereford, 2 S of Mitcheldean Road r. station, and 5 NNW of Newnham; is an ancient place; takes its name partly from the word "mickle'' or great, and partly from its situation in Dean forest; and has a post office, of the name of Mitcheldean, under Newnham, a good inn, a police station, and fairs on Easter Monday and 12 Oct. The parish comprises 680 acres. Real property, £2,637. Pop., 689. Houses, 144. The property is divided among a few. The manor and much of the land belong to the representatives of the 1ate Maynard Colchester, Esq. The Wilderness is the seat of Mrs. H. Davis. Coal and iron ore are worked in the neighbourhood. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £176. Patrons, the representatives of the late M. Colchester. The church is chiefly later English; was recently restored; consists of nave, S aisle, two N aisles, chancel, and porch, with tower and lofty spire; and contains an ancient font, some wall-paintings of the time of Edward IV., and several old monuments. There are an Independent chapel, an endowed school with £81 a year, and charities £27.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Lea, 1 m. N. Mitchel-Dean. P. 209
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Marriages at Michel Dean 1680-1812
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Westbury on Severn
- Probate Court: Post-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory), Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Hereford
- Diocese: Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 - Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Forest
- Poor Law Union: Westbury on Severn
- Hundred: St Briavels
- Province: Canterbury