Miserden is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Camp and Sutgrove.
Parish registers begin: 1574
Nonconformists include: Baptist
Table of Contents
- Parishes adjacent to Miserden
- Historical Descriptions
- Parish Records
- Poll Books
Parishes adjacent to Miserden
- Duntisbourne Abbots
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MISERDEN, a village and a parish in Stroud district, Gloucester. The village stands 5 miles NNE of Brimscombe r. station, and 6½ NE by E of Stroud; and has a post office under Cirencester. The parish contains also the hamlets of Camp and Sutgrove. Acres, 2,434. Real property, £3,296. Pop., 503. Houses, 105. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Musards in the time of King John; passed to the Despencers, the Mortimers, and others; and, with Miserden House, belongs now to Sir John Rolt. Miserden Park is the seat of W. H. Hitchock, Esq.; and Sutgrove House, of D. Yarnton Mills, Esq. A castle was built by the Musards in the time of King John, and the site of it is still discernible. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £500. Patron, the Rev. Y. Mills. The church comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with a monumental chapel and a low embattled tower; the chancel and the chapel were rebuilt, and the rest of the edifice was restored, in 1866; and the church contains a fine alabaster monument of 1644 to Sir William Sandis, a monument of 1614 to W. Kingston, a figured tablet of 1625 to Anthony Partridge, and a curious old tombstone to some of the Warneford family. There are a national school, and charities £18.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Miserden, co. Gloucester.
P. T. Painswick (105) 4 m. ESE. Pop. 514.
A parish in the hundred of Bisley; living, a rectory in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester; valued in K. B. 8l. 13s. 4d.; patron, the King, by reason of lunacy. The church, which is dedicated to St. Andrew, consists of a nave, chancel, and two cross aisles, with a low embattled tower at the west end. A chapel, on the south side of the chancel, is decorated with various military trophies and insignia, and contains some very costly and magnificent marble monuments. Miserden Park, the seat of the Sandys family, is a beautiful place, seven miles in circumference, well wooded, and commanding many picturesque and romantic prospects; in the middle of a deep valley is a circular mound, surrounded by a moat, on which stood an ancient castle. The manor house, situated on an eminence, has the appearance of antiquity, and is said to have been built with the materials of the old castle; the rooms are capacious, but have suffered greatly from neglect; they contain a number of ancient portraits. During the civil wars, this mansion was garrisoned for the parliament by 300 men.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Miserden Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856
Miserden, a township, parish and village of the Cotswold hills, distant 8 miles north-west from Cirencester, 7 to Tetbury Road railway station, and 7 from Stroud, in Bisley Hundred, Stroud Union, East Gloucestershire, the deanery of Stonehouse and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol. The church of St. Andrew consists of a nave and two cross aisles, with low embattled tower at the west end. In the south aisle there is a fine monument in alabaster, bearing date of the years 1640 and 1644, to Sir William Sandys and his lady; Sir William is in complete armour, and his lady is richly dressed with points, &c. Their ten children are kneeling down at the side of the tomb. The inscription is on a tablet on the wall, in brass letters. There is also a monument and effigy, in stone, of William Kingston, date 1614; and a tablet, with figures, to Anthony Partridge, 1625. The living is a rectory, in the gift and incumbency of the Rev. William Yarnton Mills, value £500 yearly. The Baptists have a place of worship at the hamlet of Camp, and in the village there is a National school.
Miserden Park, the seat of James Wittit Lyon, Esq., is thickly wooded, and with very steep hills. In the valley is the site of an ancient castle, built in the reign of King John. The little river Frome, which rises in the next parish, meanders through the park. The principal landowners are James Wittit Lyon (who is lord of the manor), John Mills, Daniel Mills, Julius Partridge, R. L. Townsend, Esqrs., and the Rev. W. Y. Mills. The population, in 1851, was 489; the acreage is 2,430. The soil is clayey, and the subsoil generally rock.
Camp is a hamlet distant 2 miles; Sutgrove, three-quarters of a mile; Down, 3 miles, and Wishanger 1 mile.
Henley and Wateredge are farms.
Lyon James Wittit, esq. Miserden park
Mills Daniel Yarnton, esq. Sutgrove ho
Mills John, esq
Mills Rev. William Yarnton (rector)
Blackwell Wm. farmer, Park farm
Bradley John, wheelwright & carpenter
Clissold Thos. farmer & maltster, Camp
Dean William, farmer, Henley farm
Larner William, ‘Kings Head’
Malpas Nehemiah, shopkeeper
Sheppard John, ‘Carpenter’s Arms’
Silk Isaac, farmer, Wateredge
Trotman John, farmer
Trotman Robert, farmer, Down
Woodfield Joseph, farmer, Down
Post office. – Mrs. Margaret Lambert, receiver. Letters arrive from Cirencester, 10 a.m.; dispatched 4 p.m.
National School, Miss Edwards, mistress.
Carrier – William Larner to Gloucester, Saturday; to Cirencester, Monday.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Stroud
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 - Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Stonehouse
- Poor Law Union: Stroud
- Hundred: Bisley
- Province: Canterbury