Lower Lemington Gloucestershire Family History Guide

Lower Lemington is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

Alternative names: Lemington, Lemington Parva.

Parish church: St Leonard

Parish registers begin: 1685

Parishes adjacent to Lower Lemington

  • Stretton on Fosse
  • Todenham
  • Aston Magna
  • Batsford
  • Great Wolford

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Lemington (Lower), a parish in the district of Shipston-on-Stour, and county of Gloucester; contiguous to Warwickshire, 2 miles NE by N of Moreton-in-the-Marsh r. station, and 5 SW by S of Shipston-on Stour. Post town, Moreton-in-the-Marsh. Acres, 855. Real property, £995. Pop., 57. Houses, 14. The property belongs to Lord Redesdale. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £27. Patron, Lord Redesdale. The church is good.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1848

Lemington (Lower), a parish in the upper division of the hund, of Tewksbury, union of Shipston-on-Stour, county of Gloucester; 12¼ miles south-south-east of Stratford-upon-Avon, and crossed by the Stratford and Moreton railway. Living, a perpetual curacy formerly in the archd. and dio. of Gloucester, now in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £10; gross income £46. Patron, in 1835, Lord Redesdale. Charities, in 1829, £16 6s. 2d. per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £46. Acres 660. Houses 13. A. P. £1,708. Pop., in 1801, 61; in 1831, 56.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1848.

Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Lemington, Lower, co. Gloucester.

P. T. Moreton-in-the-Marsh (86) 2 m. N E b N. Pop. 67.

A parish in the upper division of the hundred of Tewkesbury; living, a curacy in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester; certified value 10l.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Parish Records

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Search for Lemington, Gloucestershire, England

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death and Census – Search for Lower Lemington, Gloucestershire, England

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Search for Lemington Parva, Gloucestershire, England

Lemington Parva Marriages

Gloucestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol IV. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Blagg, Thomas Matthews

Note. – The oldest Register (1701 to 1753) is a parchment volume without a cover but in good condition. The second volume (1757 to 1812) is of paper, in a rough binding of the same material. The Marriages have been extracted by the Rev. J. Harvey Bloom, Rector of whitchurch, and are printed under his supervision by permission of the late Priest-in-charge, the Rev. Ferd. Ruegg.

Transcriptions

Lemington Parva Marriages 1757 to 1812

Volume II.

Richard Simmonds & Mary Roach, 25 July 1757

John Millar, of Paxford, & Sarah Lawrence, 11 June 1759

Thomas Roane & Margate Hale, 5 Apr. 1760

Thomas Riching, of Treddington, & Sarah Cook, 12 May 1760

Richard Sharp, of Todenham, & Sarah Days, 2 Mar. 1764

Thomas Rose, & Elizabeth Whiteing, 22 Oct. 1764

John Davis, of Ascott-under-Whichwood, & Hannah Smith, 3 Dec. 1764

Thomas Rooch & Hane Wyatt, of Todenham, 14 May 1765

William Harris & Mary Smith, 13 Oct. 1766

Thomas Sharp & Ann Bradley, of Draycot, 13 Dec. 1766

Thomas Roach & Hester Hyatt, lic., 12 July 1768

William Harris & Ann Halford, lic., 27 Feb. 1770

Thomas Rose, of Broadwell, & Ann Clark, 15 Dec. 1770

William Fletcher, of Wolford, & Hannah Halford, 1 Jan. 1772

Thomas Allcock & Sarah Randal, 10 Oct. 1772

Richard Hands, of Loughborough, & Mary Holford, 23 Jan. 1773

James Wheeler, of Long Compton, & Martha Halford, lic., 1 Aug. 1774

Thomas Bashett & Eleanor Hughs, 5 Dec. 1774

Edward Harris & Hannah Walton, 24 Sept. 1775

Thomas Box & Mary Roberts, 14 Oct. 1776

Henry Smith, w., & Elizabeth Halford, lic., 6 Oct. 1779

John Watson & Hannah Davis, 3 June 1782

John Printer, [? Pointer], of Compton Abdale, & Mary Gillett, 2 Aug. 1782

Thomas Taylor & Mary Frankling, 26 Oct. 1783

John Stephens, of Pershore, St. Andrew, & Hester Halford, 29 Mar. 1783

William Bennett, of Todenham, & Sarah Hartwell, 13 Dec. 1783

William Driver & Martha Sharpe, 15 June 1791

Charles Hadland, gent., & Hester Haris, of Oldborough, in this p., lic., 30 May 1797

John Dix, gent., of Sibford in Swalcliffe, co. Oxon., & Martha Harris, lic., 14 Nov. 1797

John Bennett, of Chastleton, & Mary Harris, lic., 9 Jan. 1800

William Tims & Mary Watson, 14 Sept. 1800

John Pricket & Sarah Sharp, 17 Nov. 1800

Thomas Kerry, of Chadlington, & Ann Summers, 9 Dec. 1802

Richard Lidsey & Hannah Brown, 27 Dec. 1806

William Laite & Elizabeth Summer, 5 Nov. 1810

John Hutchings & Hannah Rose, 5 June 1812

Joseph Barsley & Elizabeth Roper, of Hook Norton, 13 Dec. 1812

Source: Gloucestershire Parish Register. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol IV. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 36, Essex Street, Strand, London. 1898.

Lemington Parva Marriages 1701 to 1756

Volume I.

Johanes Carter & Sara Ward, 4 Aug. 1701

Richard Mathewes, de Whichford, & Ema Badsey, de Ditchford, 11 Oct. 1702

William Freeman, w., of Little Compton, & Mary Hains, of Lower Swell, 2 Nov. 1703

Antony Brain & Frances Minerd, 20 May 1704

William Savage & Jane Colchester, 3 Dec. 1706

Nicholas Fletcher & Mary Holder, of Woodstock, 23 Aug. 1707

Robert Harbidge & Elizabeth Freeman, of Todenham, 25 Apr. 1709

Edward Hart, of Shipston, & Elizabeth Taylor, of Morton, - Jan. 1709

John Claridge & Jane Holtam, 2 Feb. 1709

Thomas reeve & Mary Bosarel, of Broadwell, 1 Nov. 1715

William Hobb & Mary Tomlins, of Toddenham, 9 Feb. 1715

John Liseley & Mary Freeman, 1 Nov. 1716

William Liseley & Mary Roch, both of Sutton, 15 Sept. 1717

Robert Smith, de Competon [Compton] & Jane Lilley, of Saintbury, 7 Oct. 1717

Mr. William Williams, clerk, & Mrs. Frances Larner, of Morton, lic., 6 Apr. 1719

William Berry & Mary Smith, of Stretton, 17 Oct. 1719

Peter Herbert & Hester Albert, lic., 1 Mar. 1719

John Wyatt, of Todenham, & Ann Miles, of Ditchford, 6 June 1722

Mr. Joseph Riland, of Ditchford, & Mrs. Freelove Collett, of Lower Slaughter, 5 Dec. 1722

Robert Plaster & Margarett Harris, of Stretton 8 Oct. 1723

John Roach & Ann Pool, 18 Oct. 1726

Thomas Tawney & Mary Fletcher, of Ebrington, lic., 25 Jan. 1727

The Rev. Mr. Edward Hughes & Mrs. Anne Johnson, both of Cherrington, lic., 4 Mar. 1727

Henry Pilkington, of Stretton, & Hannah Blizzard, of Stow, 29 Apr. 1730

Richard Richardson & Mary Weston, of Hitcoat, lic., 27 Dec. 1731

Samuel Archer, of Stretton, & Anne Lea, of Toddenham, 13 Jan. 1732

William Williams, of Fairford, & Anne Proctor, of Moreton-in-the-Marsh, 24 Aug. 1733

John Liseley & Margaret White, 29 Apr. 1734

John Claridge & Mary Robbins, 23 Dec. 1735

Mr. William Smart, of Winchcomb, & Mrs. Collis Hughs, lic., 25 Aug. 1737

John Longstone & Mary Robbins, 27 Oct. 1737

John Pitway & Mary Mills, 11 June 1739

Walter Perry, of Fell Mell & Margaret Wood, of Moreton, 30 Sept. 1741

Isaac Pool, of Moreton, & Judith Miles, of Todenham, lic., 26 Nov. 1741

Daniel Lambert, of Bourton-on-the-Hill, & Elizabeth Procter, of Moreton, lic., 23 Jan. 1741

Henry Hitchman & Ann Hitchman, 13 Aug. 1744

Charles Kitely & Katherine Miles, 6 Apr. 1746

Thomas Halford & Anne Remel, 22 May 1746

Edward Barnet & Jane Hobs, 10 June 1746

Samuel Ward & Mary Freeman, 1 Mar. 1746

John Walker & Ann Arnel, 29 Sept. 1748

Thomas Minchin & Rachel Davis, 25 July 1749

Thomas Beal & Mary Philips, 8 July 1751

Robert Brain & Ann Wyatt, 30 Apr. 1752

Joseph Barnet & Mary Collett, 27 Sept. 1753

Source: Gloucestershire Parish Register. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol. IV. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 36, Essex Street, Strand, London. 1898.

Poll Books

Lemington, Poll Book 1834 - Google Books

Directories

Lower Lemington Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876

Lower Lemington is a village and parish in Shipston-on-Stour union, containing, by the census of 1861, 57, and in 1871, 63 inhabitants, with 786 acres of land; in the deanery of Campden, archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, hundred of Westminster, East Gloucestershire; 2 miles north-east from Morton station on the Oxford, Worcester, and Wolverhampton Railway, 6 south from Shipston-on-Stour, 30 north-east from Gloucester, and 82 from London. The rectory, in the incumbency of the Rev. James W. Clarke, is valued at £30 per annum, and is in the patronage of Lord Redesdale. The church is a small edifice, with one bell. Lord Redesdale is lord of the manor and chief owner of the land. The rateable value of this parish is £1060.

Trades and Professions

Garret Joseph, Lemington heath

Phipps Richard, farmer, Manor house

Wilks James, farmer, Oldborough

Letters through Moreton-in-the-Marsh, which is the nearest money order office.

Source: Morris & Co.’s Commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.

Lower Lemington Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1863

Lower Lemington is a parish, 2 miles from Moreton station on the West Midland line of railway, 5 from Shipston-on-Stour, 30 from Gloucester, and 82 north-nest from London, in the upper division ot the hundred of Tewkesbury, rural deanery of Campden, archdeaconry of Gloucester, bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol, and Shipston-on-Stour union and county court district. The church is a small stone building with 1 bell. The living is a perpetual curacy, of small value, in the gift of Lord Redesdale, who is also lord of the manor; the Rev. James W. Clarke is the incumbent. The population in 1861 was 57; the number of acres Is 811; rateable value, £933.

Parish Clerk, Thomas Webb.

Davis William, farmer

Phipps Richard, farmer

Wilkes James, farmer

Letters received through Moreton, which is the nearest money order office.

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Shipston on Stour
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Campden
  • Poor Law Union: Shipston on Stour
  • Hundred: Tewkesbury
  • Province: Canterbury
  • Polling District: Campden